Can We Get A Proper Windows Phone on Android?

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I recently got a Galaxy Note 8 with the intention of using it to hold me over until the "Surface Phone" is released. Then Microsoft finally pulled the plug on mobile. So I to give up on the dream and go all in on Android, but the more I used the phone I kept coming to the same conclusion: This is the best Windows Phone that we never got.

Which got me thinking...

Is it possible that Microsoft could create a GOOD WP launcher for Android? If they make an official launcher they might be able to get app developers on board to support live tiles for Android. It certainly would be a lot easier to get that done than to get developers to support the next version of Windows Mobile, whatever that may be. IF it even happens. Who knows at this point.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
sadly I have tried all those apps that emulate WM, and NONE OF THEM work as great or even remotely close to WM original... which is why I put my LG G6 in the drawer and will keep using my awesome X3 till it won't function any more.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
sadly I have tried all those apps that emulate WM, and NONE OF THEM work as great or even remotely close to WM original... which is why I put my LG G6 in the drawer and will keep using my awesome X3 till it won't function any more.

Yeah it's lipstick on a pig, I know. That's why I'm hoping that Microsoft would make their own launcher. I'm sure they can make something work.

Or if they wanted to go back into making phones again, they could possibly make a Windows 10 ARM phone with Android apps.

Many of us thought that allowing Android apps on WP would kill the platform but at this point it can only help.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft have created an excellent launcher for Android. It's called Microsoft launcher (see what they did there...) and its brilliant.

I guess it doesn't fit that definition to some because it doesn't have live tiles, gotta get over that... Already been explained on Twitter that they can't do live tiles because that would depend on developers supporting it... Microsoft been burned too badly by that to try that again.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Joe Belfiore already said this week I think that a lot of people have been asking for this but it's way too hard to implement because every developer would have to include the live tile feature into their apps and there just isn't enough demand from Android users overall to merit it. The Windows phones fans that would like it is a tiny tiny fraction so it'll probably never happen as much as some of us would like it to.
The official Microsoft Launcher that's just been upgraded from Arrow is excellent and will only get better. It's a good mix of Microsoft and Android it hooks up well with my Surface Pro and Desktop etc too

Cazedi

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
Uh, wait a minute now: a W10M launcher does indeed exist for Android. Homesquare2. As one who was reluctantly forced to use Android I pined for my 950. Homesquare2 purrfectly emulates the W10M mobile experience with more features than even I thought possible. Now, I am a happy Android camper, sitting around the campfire watching the flames of W10M as it sadly burns out.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue with app developers not supporting it won't be that big of a deal. Theoretically, most of the developers that currently support Windows would support live tiles on Android. And for those that don't, the information that gets displayed on the status bar (I believe they're called toast notifications) could be used on the tiles. If there's enough consumer support the developers will come. This isn't like asking them to develop all new apps for Windows Mobile, this is just slightly changing their Android apps. Functionality it will be similar to the app bridges that no one cared about.

Uh, wait a minute now: a W10M launcher does indeed exist for Android. Homesquare2. As one who was reluctantly forced to use Android I pined for my 950. Homesquare2 purrfectly emulates the W10M mobile experience with more features than even I thought possible. Now, I am a happy Android camper, sitting around the campfire watching the flames of W10M as it sadly burns out.

I prefer Launcher 8 myself but Homesquare is good too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can We Get A Proper Windows Phone on Android?

Can you train your cat to bark?

I see more frustration than success in threads about making one OS behave like another. That's because they are separate concepts with fundamentally different UIs.

I'm about to switch off Android (again) to Sailfish OS. I'm excited because Android is really grating my cheese again and after just a few months. When I'm on Sailfish I won't try and make it act like webOS, Android, iOS or Windows Phone (all of which I've used). I'll learn Sailfish and use it like a Sailfish device.

BTW and FWIW, you are on Touchwiz Android which is distinctly different from other flavors. I've always found stock and near stock more palatable.

You say the Note 8 is...
the best Windows Phone that we never got.

Do you mean just the hardware? Because I'm not sure what there is about the software to remind you of Windows phone...

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Can you train your cat to bark?

I see more frustration than success in threads about making one OS behave like another. That's because they are separate concepts with fundamentally different UIs.

I'm about to switch off Android (again) to Sailfish OS. I'm excited because Android is really grating my cheese again and after just a few months. When I'm on Sailfish I won't try and make it act like webOS, Android, iOS or Windows Phone (all of which I've used). I'll learn Sailfish and use it like a Sailfish device.

BTW and FWIW, you are on Touchwiz Android which is distinctly different from other flavors. I've always found stock and near stock more palatable.

You say the Note 8 is...

Do you mean just the hardware? Because I'm not sure what there is about the software to remind you of Windows phone...

What's Sailfish? I've never heard of that. And yes, I meant that hardware wise, the Note 8 is the best Windows Phone we never got.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What's Sailfish?
https://jolla.com/sailfishX/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS

When Nokia killed off MeeGo (remember the burning platform?) part of the OS team that was let go formed a new company called Jolla to further the development. They have a bit of a rocky road and an uphill climb...

All gesture driven UI and their Live Covers are half Live Tile half Widget, very reminiscent of webOS Cards as well. You can leave them open on the screen (as minimized apps) for fast multitasking and many of them can be interacted with in the minimized "cover" state.

There is a good look at Sailfish in this comparison video with Tizen. The look is somewhat outdated as Sailfish has had a bit of a refresh since.

They should be picking up traction. Check their press release from MWC 2017. https://blog.jolla.com/wrapping-up-mwc-2017-jolla/

In addition to the China Consortium, Jalla, Sailfish Watch and Sailfish X (Sailfish official for Sony Xperia X) mentioned there, they have also started a big presence in Russia as a state sponsored alternate to Android as a more secure and privacy forward system.

Interestingly, the Russia and China efforts are official forks that Jolla has put behind a firewall so that whatever they do with their fork will not affect the main branch unles they vette a change and fold it in. Smart that.

I'm fortunate that I happened to have vacation in Europe now as Sailfish is only available in the EU, Norway and Switzerland currently. Other countries will be sure to follow, but at least I've gotten in now. You can find unofficial ports done by the community for various Android handsets. However, those do not include the Alien Dalvik subsystem needed to run Android Apps. No Play Store and no Play services. That's fine by me. I can use Amazon for apps and I plan on using Microsoft services where possible. I tried an un-official port (sans Alien Dalvik) years ago on a Nexus 4 when Sailfish was emerging. Great UI/UX. Been waiting all this time for something official. Hardware has been scarce even in Europe and unknown in the US either straight from Jolla or via a partner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786