Can Win 10 TP be installed HP Stream 7

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Just a word of warning, the technical preview isn't touch optimised yet so you may want to hold off for a bit longer if touch is your primary input.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have Windows 10 build 9926 on my Stream 7. Since it uses WIMBoot, it's not as straightforward to install as one would expect. MS will be releasing a future TP build that can more easily install on systems with compressed partitions..From a touch perspective, 8.1 is superior for the moment, so you may want to wait for the next build or 2. Always have a backup strategy in place prior to testing pre-release OS

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I can second that. If you Bing "Windows 10 on HP Stream 7," you will undoubtedly find links to how to do it. @horseybob, have you tried recovering to Win 8.1 from your Stream? I created a recovery disk, but I'm not having luck booting to it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest wait for next build, which should support compressed OS installation (wimboot install) via Windows Update. The online tutorials want you to fiddle with USB OTG, drivers, clean iso install. wimboot installation via WU is the way forward for small devices like this.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I can second that. If you Bing "Windows 10 on HP Stream 7," you will undoubtedly find links to how to do it. @horseybob, have you tried recovering to Win 8.1 from your Stream? I created a recovery disk, but I'm not having luck booting to it.
I have 8.1 and 8.1 pro recovery media on USB, but haven't tried rolling back, as Win 10 is adequate, warts and all. If it's not booting, first ensure it's formatted with FAT32, and NOT NTFS.

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I was finally able to roll back, but I had to first use the Win10 TP install drive, start the upgrade process, delete the partitions, then restart, booting from the recovery drive this time. I'm going to roll forward again, but now I know what it will take to get back. Thanks~!

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It did install and worked ok. However when windows update ran and installed new updates then restarted it would not got past lock screen image. Normally you flick it up and the put password in but it's like the screen just does not respond.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs