Can't Run Software on Windows 10 Laptop

lunariette

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

First of all, to get details on my setup out of the way:
DELL Inspiron 7559 laptop, x64-based, running Windows 10 Home
Intel i7 core, 16GB RAM... not sure if any other info is needed but let me know and I'll provide it as well!

So anyway... a couple months ago I wanted to play a game on Origin, tried to open it, my cursor turned to the loading blue circle for a bit, and then... nothing. I thought whatever, I don't play video games that much, I tried a few fixes (will detail them below), assumed it was an issue with Origin specifically, and moved on.

However, this week I've had this same issue happen again with a completely different software - TVPaint Animation 11 Professional Edition (it's an animation software). This one I need to get working much more urgently than I need Origin, and it brings up the exact same issue. So I'm starting to think the problem isn't the software itself but something on my own laptop.

I've had both programs for years and both worked fine previously. It's been a few months since I last used either (and therefore since the last time they worked), but in those months there have been no changes to my machine, other than Windows Updates I suppose. I thought it was a network issue for Origin so I tried turning off my antivirus & firewall for it but nothing happened, and with TVP it can't really be a network issue to begin with.

I've tried running both as administrator and in compatibility mode to no avail. I tried uninstalling and installing each of them, Origin uninstalled fine but now the installer itself won't run (in the same way, loading cursor appears briefly but then nothing happens). TVP I reinstalled successfully but still can't use. Got Origin to run in Safe Mode, though. I haven't yet tried this with TVPaint but will now and update the post.

More generally I did an SFC scan and DISM Restore Health and still no change. So the only other thing I assume I can try is to just.... back up my files and reset Windows to a previously backed up version (I don't think I've backed it up in like 2 years so that should be interesting haha). But that seems a little drastic so I wanted to check first - any other ideas on what to try? I've also posted to the specific forums/sought technical support for the actual software I'm trying to run but again it seems like a me problem. I'm worried it's my computer doing this and I don't want to find that my programs start dropping off one by one, so I thought I'd ask a general Windows community like this one!

Any help appreciated!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

First of all, to get details on my setup out of the way:
DELL Inspiron 7559 laptop, x64-based, running Windows 10 Home
Intel i7 core, 16GB RAM... not sure if any other info is needed but let me know and I'll provide it as well!

So anyway... a couple months ago I wanted to play a game on Origin, tried to open it, my cursor turned to the loading blue circle for a bit, and then... nothing. I thought whatever, I don't play video games that much, I tried a few fixes (will detail them below), assumed it was an issue with Origin specifically, and moved on.

However, this week I've had this same issue happen again with a completely different software - TVPaint Animation 11 Professional Edition (it's an animation software). This one I need to get working much more urgently than I need Origin, and it brings up the exact same issue. So I'm starting to think the problem isn't the software itself but something on my own laptop.

I've had both programs for years and both worked fine previously. It's been a few months since I last used either (and therefore since the last time they worked), but in those months there have been no changes to my machine, other than Windows Updates I suppose. I thought it was a network issue for Origin so I tried turning off my antivirus & firewall for it but nothing happened, and with TVP it can't really be a network issue to begin with.

I've tried running both as administrator and in compatibility mode to no avail. I tried uninstalling and installing each of them, Origin uninstalled fine but now the installer itself won't run (in the same way, loading cursor appears briefly but then nothing happens). TVP I reinstalled successfully but still can't use. Got Origin to run in Safe Mode, though. I haven't yet tried this with TVPaint but will now and update the post.

More generally I did an SFC scan and DISM Restore Health and still no change. So the only other thing I assume I can try is to just.... back up my files and reset Windows to a previously backed up version (I don't think I've backed it up in like 2 years so that should be interesting haha). But that seems a little drastic so I wanted to check first - any other ideas on what to try? I've also posted to the specific forums/sought technical support for the actual software I'm trying to run but again it seems like a me problem. I'm worried it's my computer doing this and I don't want to find that my programs start dropping off one by one, so I thought I'd ask a general Windows community like this one!

Any help appreciated!

What was the game you wanted to play? Are your graphics card drivers up to date? Is your graphics card even good enough to run these programs? Do you have any antivirus software running that may be clogging up your PC? If you go to Startup (in Task Manager) and disable everything you absolutely don't need, and then try again, does anything improve? It could also be your RAM and that some other program or process is using it so these programs don't have enough, so they hang during loading, and you get the cursor your describe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99