Can't sign into Microsoft Account on freshly reset Lumia Icon

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My brother recently switched phones and gave me his old Lumia Icon. The first thing I did was to wipe/reset it using the Windows Device Recovery Tool. On setup though, I could not sign into my Microsoft account. When hitting "Sign In" on the screen, it would fail with a pop up saying "Can't connect. We Can't connect right now. Wait a few moments and try again.". I didn't even get to a screen where I could enter in my email/password.

The software on the phone is Windows Phone 8.1 (was Windows 10 before the reset/wipe), and I can't upgrade it or do much of anything with it,because I need to be signed into a Microsoft Account to do much of anything (i.e. download upgrade advisor or any app).

I have done some searching around and the only thing I can find is double checking the date/time on the phone because that might cause issues with the sign in process. I have tried purposely setting the date/time wrong, and correcting it back without any change.

I have also tried soft resets, hard resets, and wiping/resetting with the WDRT again without any change.

My main phone is a Lumia Icon as well, so I have tried all of the above steps without any SIM, and also while having my SIM inside the phone.

Any ideas on what's happening?

GKentC

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem on a Lumia 930. I was advised to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool. It reset my phone from Win 10 mobile to 8.1. That was a surprise. I wasn't told that would happen. Now I'd like to upgrade back to Win 10 mobile, but I can't log in to my Microsoft account to begin the process. I need to get the Upgrade Advisor app from the Windows store. But I can't do this if I can't log into my account. And even if I were to stay with 8.1 I would still need to log into my account.

I've restarted the phone several times. I've done a reset. I found the bit about setting my clock. Nothing works.

If anyone finds an answer, please let us know.

Thanks,

GKentC

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Funny how i did this last night also and yes i am also facing the same problem. I cant sign in at all. Date and time set proper still wouldnt let me. Tried using LTE to connect but nothing. Kinda weird because the last time i did this there were no problems at all. Hope someone has solution for this. Wanted to give this phone to my brother but i guess that will have to wait.

Sent from mTalk

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Theres only one update on WDRT. Theres no other updates so cant update anything as well. Reinstalling software reinstalls the same update over again. Its not a set your time and date issue anymore. This might be something else at the moment.

Sent from mTalk

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
i have same problem but did not find the solution if u get the solution plz tell me :unhappysweat::unhappysweat:

Waiting for them to fix this. Microsoft has not made any statements but after chatting with their tech support they have said they're engineers are aware of this and trying to fix and resolve this.

Sent from mTalk

texasthom7

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I too found this issue earlier today and it really has been ******* me off. It started so I did the hard reset and then it kept doing it and I've given up. Please try and fix this, it would be amazing.

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This issue seems to be resolved and is working now. Do try and sign in. It should work as mine has already.

If you are trying to install Upgrade Advisor through wifi and doesn't work, use your mobile data instead and it should download and install.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

Joe Fel Ochea

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I have same porblem as yours lumia 640 XL dual LTE running windows 8.1 2, my problem was solved using the changing the date method, what I did was I change the auto to manual I change the minutes to advance 1 minute, my default time was Kuala Lumpur (+8) I live in philippines I change it to Beijing Hongkong (+8), again only to advance one minute same year same month. My location is always off, but that time I was trying redo that method by changing the time but I set my location to on and I try to add account in setting section not on app store, and thanks god my problem was solved, now I upgrade to windows 10. Maybe I was just lucky. I hope it will help.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This issue seems to be resolved and is working now. Do try and sign in. It should work as mine has already.

If you are trying to install Upgrade Advisor through wifi and doesn't work, use your mobile data instead and it should download and install.

Sent from mTalk

Sign in is fixed today (based on my own experience). I downloaded upgrade advisor and all updates through wi-fi without any problems.

kwejo tv

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
My brother recently switched phones and gave me his old Lumia Icon. The first thing I did was to wipe/reset it using the Windows Device Recovery Tool. On setup though, I could not sign into my Microsoft account. When hitting "Sign In" on the screen, it would fail with a pop up saying "Can't connect. We Can't connect right now. Wait a few moments and try again.". I didn't even get to a screen where I could enter in my email/password.

The software on the phone is Windows Phone 8.1 (was Windows 10 before the reset/wipe), and I can't upgrade it or do much of anything with it,because I need to be signed into a Microsoft Account to do much of anything (i.e. download upgrade advisor or any app).

I have done some searching around and the only thing I can find is double checking the date/time on the phone because that might cause issues with the sign in process. I have tried purposely setting the date/time wrong, and correcting it back without any change.

I have also tried soft resets, hard resets, and wiping/resetting with the WDRT again without any change.

My main phone is a Lumia Icon as well, so I have tried all of the above steps without any SIM, and also while having my SIM inside the phone.

Any ideas on what's happening?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss