Cant sync outlook mail error code 86000c0a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Its terrible that i cant get my mails. I am a reporter and i work with mails. Its 9 hours that i get an error while trying to sync with my microsoft account on my lumia 920. First time that i want to switch.:unhappy:

Kevin763i

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
So if you get this error I did the following...then made sure to wait till my changes were replicated to all AD servers (most importantly the primary AD server that our Exchange Active Sync talks to).
1. Open Active Directory Users & Computers (ADUC)
2. Clicked View -> Selected "Advanced Features"
3. Opened the AD structure to find my/the affected user
4. Right-click on user -> Properties
5. Select the "Security" tab
6. Clicked the "Advanced" button (it's the one next to this text "For special permissions or advanced settings, click Advanced.")
7. Checked the "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" box
8. Clicked "OK" to close the "Advanced" box
9. Clicked "OK" to close the "[USER] Properties" box
10. Closed ADUC
11. Wait
12. Re-sync phone (At this point I had just looked at phone and had already synced)

Source: activesync error 86000C0A ON wp7 - Microsoft Community

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
1. Open Active Directory Users & Computers (ADUC)

Where can it be found on windows PHONE?

@christos michalopoulos
I had the same problem when I reset my phone yesterday. I tried and tried and tried to sync it with MS account. Then it eventually worked.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean outlook.com? a web-based email?

Yes. He did mention "outlook mail" in his post.

MAny ppl seem to have this issue with their MS mail account lately.

I already responded in a couple threads about the same issue, that they need to contact MS themselves for this.
The only known "solution" provided by MS is indeed only usable when you sync through an Exchange server.

Active directory Users and Computers is only available on a domain server. So the solution mentioned in 2nd post is only applicable when you actually sync mails through an Exchange server that is linked to its domain controller.

There are already a few other threads about this issue.

Here's what I concluded myself from the information posted in one of those threads :

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by David Perez Perez

hello.
Yesterday i have a hard reset of my lumia 920 and after this, my @outlook.com acount give me error "86000C0A".
I Cant make the changes in the active directory because this is a @outlook.com

any idea???

thanks a lot

My response :

Following the Nokia guidelines here :

The 86000C0A error indicates incorrect user permissions, which is likely caused by disabled inheritance in Active Directory.
The admin
must fix this server-side issue in the following way:

1. Open Active Directory Users & Computers (ADUC).
  2. Click View and select Advanced Features .
  3. Open the AD structure to find the affected user.
  4. Right-click User>Properties .
  5. Select the Security tab.
  6. Click Advanced .
  7. Check the Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent box.

...makes it very clear (to me) that indeed you cannot do anything, and the server admin should resolve this...disabled inheritance is an AD security feature, which is set in the security policy of the server. We cannot access it from user-end. Only MS admins can do that for us !

Only logical thing I can conclude from my own professional experience with domain servers, exchange, and user policy, is that before probably an internal update, somehow the inheritable permissions checkbox was redundant (read:disabled through server policy), so it didn't matter really whether it was checked or not. And I know that if the policy for that option isn't set, the option itself is redundant whether checked or not in the user-tabs in AD. So users wouldn't have been affected by it.

Seeing the magnitude of the MS domains (millions of users spread over MANY domain controllers!!), it is very likely that some users have this box checked in their user settings on the MS AD, and others don't. Since it was a redundant option because the policy wasn't set, it wouldn't have mattered...Then after the update somehow that security option must have been set in the policy (probably as an added security feature), and now the users that have that option unchecked in their user-tabs in AD, are now suddenly adversively affected by that security policy.

So in that case MS is the only one to set this straight...by either checking that box for every user, OR disabling the security feature again in their policy. And I suspect they won't do the latter, but rather the former.

That would be my best guess. Could be wrong, but it is actually very likely something like that.

In short, you need to ask MS about this, because down here, it is unlikely we will be able to fix it ourselves.

Grtz.

You see, outlook.com also syncs through Exchange (internally at MS), so the solution mentioned is actually "applicable" and will probably solve the issue, BUT we cannot do this, simply because we cannot access the exchange servers linked to outlook.com ourselves, only MS administrators can do that.

So again, only MS will be able to solve this :(

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I mean, had very same error code 86000c0a, when I tried to sync my MS account with my phone (or my phone with MS account) after reset after Black update.
I tried several time and then it eventually worked or me.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I mean, had very same error code 86000c0a, when I tried to sync my MS account with my phone (or my phone with MS account) after reset after Black update.
I tried several time and then it eventually worked or me.

Then I guess MS AD administration has been busy and straightened out their security policy already.
I guess they had issues with disabled inheritance permissions for some users, and had to adjust AD user account policy.

Don't worry about it too much, if it works it probably means MS admins put it right again (or is still in the midst of fixing it). Just remember that they have millions of users, and straightening out security policies for that amount of user accounts accross several domain controllers takes a while, so some users may still have issues syncing :smile:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is also happening to me on my Lumia 1520. It is also causing incoming and sent text messages to disappear (despite getting a banner notification of the incoming text).

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
And changing the servername to "m.hotmail.com" doesn't help ? Weird. I had to do that a couple times but it always works when I do that.
After a couple days it reverts back to "attention needed" but in general it solves the immediate issues for me.

ps: "s.hotmail.com" also works btw. m and s are the two main hotmail servers that always redirect to a server that is operational and functional.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
And changing the servername to "m.hotmail.com" doesn't help ? Weird. I had to do that a couple times but it always works when I do that.
After a couple days it reverts back to "attention needed" but in general it solves the immediate issues for me.

ps: "s.hotmail.com" also works btw. m and s are the two main hotmail servers that always redirect to a server that is operational and functional.

Unfortunately changing the server doesn't work either, keeps reverting back to bay405-m.hotmail.com.

EDIT: Aside from the error code, it also says "missed Items" and lists one of my contacts that I text regularly as one fo the missed items. Tried deleting the sms thread with that contact but still the same issue. Turning off chat backup fixes everything, my account now syncs successfully. Of course now I have no backup of my text messages.

e0rm

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I actually had this same problem and error code with W8 Phone. I cannot remember how many frustrating times I rest my phone and it still did not work.
I even tried changing the server settings on the phone but instead got a completely different setting. The trick is to change these setting in outlook.com to allow your email sync.

This solution that eventually worked for me.

1. Sign into outlook.com on your browser using your email details.

2. Click on options (gear like icon) and select options.

3. Click on Your email accounts.

4. Click on add a send and receive account.

5. Enter the info you want to use for your email.

6. Enter the pop settings (My email is under office 365) settings for pop are
Server name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL

7. User name and password are your email and password

8. Enter outgoing SMTP information (For Office 365 account)

Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

9. Try entering outlook account details on your phone. It should now be able to pull emails from your email account.
This worked for me and I can now normally synch my email. (on my WP8 my outlook only pulls the email and not contacts or calendar)

liyajoseph

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
When outlook error 86000c0a occurs then you need to start outlook in safe mode and to start outlook in safe mode click on start button and then type outlook.exe /safe and then press enter.
If you are facing this outlook error then you can also use <a href="http://www.outlookpst.filesrepairtools.com">outlook pst repair</a> tool fix this error easily and permanently. When you install this tool in your system then it automatically starts scanning and deeply searches the reason for the occurring of this outlook error and also fix this error is very less time. Don’t be late just download this tool and prevent your outlook profile from damaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny