Change size of new Notepad window

DaleLacey

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Since Windows 11, you can't change the size of a new Notepad window. With any application, you used to be able to open a new window, resize it, then hold the Shift key while clicking the X. In future, new Notepad windows would take the size/shape you had set.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Maybe a registry setting?

Note: Using a brand new Dell laptop. Have asked Microsoft and they say it's "a feature" [grrr].

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Reset Notepad Window Position and Size in Windows

1. Close the Notepad app if you have it running.
2. Open the Registry editor.
3. Go to the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Notepad.
4. Remove the following 32-bit DWORD values: iWindowPosDX, iWindowPosDY, iWindowPosX, iWindowPosY.
5. Now, start Notepad. It will revert to its default window size and position.
Done!

DaleLacey

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Reset Notepad Window Position and Size in Windows

1. Close the Notepad app if you have it running.
2. Open the Registry editor.
3. Go to the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Notepad.
4. Remove the following 32-bit DWORD values: iWindowPosDX, iWindowPosDY, iWindowPosX, iWindowPosY.
5. Now, start Notepad. It will revert to its default window size and position.
Done!

Thanks for that. However, there is no Notepad in that branch of the Registry. Maybe we're using different versions (I've got Notepad v11.2112.32.0). I think a new version was implemented when Windows 11 came along.

Also, I'm not trying to revert to the default, I'm trying to create a new default. (The standard default is far too wide, resulting in very long line lengths.)

I know a little about the Registry, but not too much:crying:. Could I create my own Notepad in the Registry, plus the DWORD values you specify?

Last edited:

DaleLacey

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Well, You wont create your own notepad so I suggest not to tweak Registries in Registry Editor because some time its a bit risky and become corrupted...

Thanks for the warning about changing things in the Registry. I'll keep well away from it.:grin:

Does anyone else have any suggestions for overcoming this? What I'm trying to do is to define the position/shape of a new Notepad window in Windows 11 (which seems to operate differently from under Windows 10).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the warning about changing things in the Registry. I'll keep well away from it.:grin:

Does anyone else have any suggestions for overcoming this? What I'm trying to do is to define the position/shape of a new Notepad window in Windows 11 (which seems to operate differently from under Windows 10).

Thanks in advance.

Hi DaleLacey,

[Update: this doesn't work, but I'll leave the post in case anyone else doesn't know about the cog-wheel.]

When you open up a new Notepad window - look on the upper right of that notepad for a cog-wheel icon (looks like a gear).

1.PNG

If it is there, click it and you will get a menu allowing you to choose font size, but also theme and note size.

2.PNG

I don't have a Win 11 device in front of me, but check and see if you can change the default Notepad size under the 'theme' button. I believe this should allow you to choose multiple sizes like the old version did.

Just a shot in the dark, but hopefully this works for you!

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@DaleLacey,

If you simply open the Notepad and grab a corner and move it to resize to whatever size you want - then close the app. Does it not save that size for the next time you open the app (like it does in Windows 10)? I've never had to hold the shift key or do anything special. Have you tried just doing that without using the 'shift' or anything?

DaleLacey

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
@DaleLacey,

If you simply open the Notepad and grab a corner and move it to resize to whatever size you want - then close the app. Does it not save that size for the next time you open the app (like it does in Windows 10)? I've never had to hold the shift key or do anything special. Have you tried just doing that without using the 'shift' or anything?

It appears the need for a Shift key combination was removed at some stage. BUT it doesn't currently work for Notepad, with or without the Shift key. It does for other applications (without the Shift key), but not for Notepad.

When you tried, did you use Notepad? If so, maybe there's something wrong with my setup.

Last edited:

DaleLacey

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
So, I think we've established that you can't change the default window size/shape for Notepad under Windows 11 (at least no one has offered contrary "proof"). So, maybe a carefully made Registry change would do the trick. I don't have the skills, but I would have thought that inserting a Notepad key (I think that's what it's called) in the appropriate branch with appropriate iWindowPosDX, iWindowPosDY, iWindowPosX, iWindowPosY values might do the trick.

Could a Registry expert comment? Thanks, Dale.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
...When you tried, did you use Notepad? If so, maybe there's something wrong with my setup.

In Windows 10 I can simply grab a corner of the Notepad window and drag it to what ever size I want and close the app. When I reopen, it retains the size and position it was in when I closed it.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing in the Registry - I would suggest avoiding making any changes in there. It's one thing to go in knowing what do change, but another thing to go in not knowing and 'trying' things - that's when bad things happen.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I understand the frustration - but as Windows 11 is still in beta, I'm thinking that tweaks like this may simply not be set up yet in lieu of working on stability and larger issues. Once that stuff is finished, then devs can look at the lower priority items like this. Beta software = beta headaches. ;)

At this point, if you want those features I'd suggest stepping back from using pre-release versions of Windows and install Windows 10. If you want to play with the pre-release software - you'll have to understand it comes unfinished and there aren't many who have done deep dives into code and Registry settings to see what's changed.

DaleLacey

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, I understand the frustration - but as Windows 11 is still in beta, I'm thinking that tweaks like this may simply not be set up yet in lieu of working on stability and larger issues. Once that stuff is finished, then devs can look at the lower priority items like this. Beta software = beta headaches. ;)

At this point, if you want those features I'd suggest stepping back from using pre-release versions of Windows and install Windows 10. If you want to play with the pre-release software - you'll have to understand it comes unfinished and there aren't many who have done deep dives into code and Registry settings to see what's changed.

I'm pretty sure Windows 11 isn't in beta??? Here's my System/About information:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎03/‎2022
OS build 22000.556
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.556.0

Is there a more relevant forum/website I could go to for advice regarding Registry changes? As far as I can see, that's going to be the only way I can fix this, and I'm not willing to try on my own. Although, I could always wait for Microsoft to fix it, I suppose. [grin]

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Windows 11 isn't in beta??? Here's my System/About information:
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎03/‎2022
OS build 22000.556
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.556.0

Is there a more relevant forum/website I could go to for advice regarding Registry changes? As far as I can see, that's going to be the only way I can fix this, and I'm not willing to try on my own. Although, I could always wait for Microsoft to fix it, I suppose. [grin]

Well.. I didn't realize Win11 is being installed on new PC's (I honestly haven't been paying attention to it) - so I stand corrected that it's beta version has ended. (thanks DaleLacey)

If you want to dig into the registry, I'd check over on the forums at a site like XDA-Developers as that group digs into a lot of different code. Good luck and if you ever find an answer to the question, be sure to update your thread here to share :)

Annie_M

Jan 31, 2019
Visit site
In Windows 10 I can simply grab a corner of the Notepad window and drag it to whatever size I want and close the app. When I reopen it, it retains the size and position it was in when I closed it.

This is how I adjust the size of the Notepad and it works great! I am still on Windows 10 and my PC is managed by my employer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750