Charging pad,not just a gimmick.

TigerMyth36

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would be gimmicky until I got the free pad and now I don't have to crawl under my desk at work all of the time to charge the phone like i used to have to do when the dang charging cord was always falling down. Seems gimmicky, but it isn't. I really like it.

Reclinerhead

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I love the wireless charging too. I was wondering ... what happens if you use the wireless charger AND the wired charger at the same time? Double speed, or maybe it just melts the phone? I'm not so sure i want to test this out ... I am digging my new phone too much.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Anybody who used a Palm webOS phone with Touchstones would tell you that wireless charging isn't a gimmick -- it's life-changing (and was VERY hard to give up when we had to go to other ecosystems).

The one thing Qi is missing, which Palm got right (IMO) is magnetic grip. Touchstones would "grab and hold" the phone using magnets, which feels a little more secure than just laying the phone down on top of a slab of plastic or pillow.

I have a Touchstone on my desk an in my car. Nothing like being able to get into the car and just plop my phone down on the charger, where it's held magnetically, and let it charge. When I switch to WP8 in March, or earlier if I can get VZW to do it, having the ability to wirelessly charge is going to be one of the draws for me. I'd really like to see someone attempt to swap out the wireless components from a Touchstone back and a Nokia back to see if it will work on a Touchstone. The magnetic gripping is definitely a great thing to have. There have been quite a few people who have modified their Android phone backs to do this with success.

Wireless charging is just so much better than having to plug a cord. Plus it saves wear and tear on the phone's USB connector.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to bite and call it a gimmick because the charging pad didn't come with the phone and I bought mine full retail and wasn't given a charging pad. Probably no fault of ATT, but would have been nice and I'm sure if they included it and added 50 bucks to the cost they would have still sold like hotcakes.

AngeloUCF

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
To me, it's very convenient, and I loved the idea from the start. The only thing I would change is to up the amperage from 750mA to 1.3A like the regular wall charger so it charges a bit faster

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is far from gimmick. Reviewers called it a gimmick because iPhone doesn't have it. People called it gimmick, because iPhone doesn't have it. But placing a phone on a pad without the need to stick a cable into it every day is far from gimmicky, especially when you try to put cable in it in the dark. With Lumia line having it and now new Nexus having it, wireless charging WILL become a standard, whether Apple fans agree or not. You can bet that next iPhone will have it as well. This is just the way technology evolves.

if wireless charging were a gimmick there wouldn't be so many stupid wireless charging sleeve options for the iphone.

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my charging pad on Saturday afternoon :D I was really excited about it, and couldn't wait to use it that night. It's placed on my night stand by my bed, so it'll be easy to grab incase I get an emergency call in the middle of the night. Well, it worked great Saturday night, but I noticed this morning that it was only at 60% when I took it off the charger to leave for work. It was on the charger all night, so it should've been 100%. Not sure if there's a specific way it has to sit on the charger, so tonight I'll be checking on that.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
As a home owner, my next home improvement project is to outfit my home with wireless chargers. No, not by plugging them in various outlets. But by actually incorporating them into my furniture, kitchen counters, etc... Make them invisible yet provide some subtle hints that they're there.

Ha! That's awesome. It will be interesting to know how that goes. Keep us informed. I'm in the very, very early stages of looking to build a new home and I want to totally geek the thing out. Just started to look at home automation stuff, but I never thought about wireless charging stuff. That would rule.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
There should be commercials showing people putting the phone on their charging pad before going to bed, etc. It's a GREAT feature and really does impact your life more that you would think. So often my stupid wire would end up behind my bed and I would end up fishing around for it before I could plug it in. Now it is so easy to put it down, take it off to check something, etc.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I like it a lot, if it were more affordable, I would have one at work and at several places in my house. It sounds like a small convenience, but I really like not having to fiddle with the cable, and instead, I can just set and forget. Also, the power draw is negligible. Another poster on here had tested it, and his device read a draw of 0. Which is probably not the case, but is so low that the device either cannot distinguish the precise amount of draw. Basically, when rounded, the draw is 0 amps.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
One of my cats loves to chew through any cables with small ends. She bats them around and then "attacks" and can chew off the tips. (Same for in-ear headphones too, which now all must be carefully stowed away when not in use.) I really appreciate having one less charging cable around that I have to worry about keeping cat-safe!

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Touchstone on my desk an in my car. Nothing like being able to get into the car and just plop my phone down on the charger, where it's held magnetically, and let it charge. When I switch to WP8 in March, or earlier if I can get VZW to do it, having the ability to wirelessly charge is going to be one of the draws for me. I'd really like to see someone attempt to swap out the wireless components from a Touchstone back and a Nokia back to see if it will work on a Touchstone. The magnetic gripping is definitely a great thing to have. There have been quite a few people who have modified their Android phone backs to do this with success.

Wireless charging is just so much better than having to plug a cord. Plus it saves wear and tear on the phone's USB connector.

I am with you, and I really can't see going to a device I have to plug in when I stop using webOS as my daily. If I have to give up my physical KB, I am hoping to keep my inductive charging.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This charging pad is awesome! I love being able to just set it down and charge! No more fooling with the wall charger. And like others have said, less wear on the connector. Works great with my case too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander