Cheapest Way to Get a Lumia 822 (Used or New) Right Now

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
In another thread I discuss how my friend's flip phone on Verizon just broke and I want to convert her to Windows Phone. She needs an off-contract phone and doesn't want to spend a lot of money. Is this Buy It Now deal on Ebay for a used 822 for $85 a good idea? Will she be able to go into Verizon and change it over to her number no problem? Also, she doesn't have a data plan, so can she use it for voice and text (like her current flip phone plan) and then use Wi-Fi for the other features? Any other cheaper options?

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
She will have to get a data plan to use it 30.00 can't use a smart phone with out data plan. Black Friday is a good day to purchase phone's from Verizon should be good deals.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Of course you can use a smartphone without a data plan. Messages and calls will work without a problem. My mother is doing this with a (my old) Windows Phone device, I have other friends who do it with other devices.

There are of course drawbacks: If your friend installs Whatsapp, just as an example, she will only be able to read message when she has WiFi, however people will send her messages all the time anyway. That's just about usability. The other point is MMS. If she uses MMS she will have to have a data connection or they will just not work. You can't receive MMS over WiFi. However if the data connection is on, the phone will use it for other things what will lead to costs.

Still, smartphones are built around a data connection, and most features are just not work without it, including apps that need a connection.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Of course you can use a smartphone without a data plan. Messages and calls will work without a problem. My mother is doing this with a (my old) Windows Phone device, I have other friends who do it with other devices.

There are of course drawbacks: If your friend installs Whatsapp, just as an example, she will only be able to read message when she has WiFi, however people will send her messages all the time anyway. That's just about usability. The other point is MMS. If she uses MMS she will have to have a data connection or they will just not work. You can't receive MMS over WiFi. However if the data connection is on, the phone will use it for other things what will lead to costs.

Yes I know you can do that, but I think what they were ask was they just wanted cell phone service use with out getting a data plan at Verizon. I known you have to get a data plan in order to get cellular service with Verizon here in US Pennsylvania anyway. I known about using it without cellular service on a spare phone using WiFi.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it depends on the carrier. I haven't tried, but know someone who did try to activate a smartphone on Verizon without a data plan, and they wouldn't do it. I know someone on ATT using a Samsung Focus with no data just fine.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I talked to a Verizon sales rep and she said that all smartphones require a data plan, and the cheapest plan is 2GB for $30 per month. My friend is currently paying $10 per month for just call and texting. I get what Verizon is trying to do here, as clearly many people would stick with $10 call and texting and use Wi-Fi for other things if they could ($120 per year is much less than $360 per year, after all, so they'd be losing out on a lot of dough). But I'm surprised that it is legal for Verizon to do this. A person who buys a phone off contract should be able to use it as they see fit. In Japan many young people do this (buy smart phones without data plans).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But I'm surprised that it is legal for Verizon to do this.
My personal thoughts are that as long as the company isn't a monopoly (and Verizon isn't - it's close, but not quite), we shouldn't be legislating what they have to sell. They sell the services that they think will get them the most return on their investment, and if a consumer doesn't like that, there are other companies to choose from. Isn't that what competition is about? If it is legislated what every company must sell, then there's no difference between companies, throwing the whole reason for competition out the window.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry. I always forget how crazy complicated and confusing everything is in the USA when it comes to phones. Everything is exclusive, has different technology and is under draconian contracts with little sense to me...

In Switzerland I could name you at least 5 companies you could choose from for an off contract SIM card working in every unlocked phone.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest our very own Marketplace to find a inexpensive, off contract 822. Oh yeah, I have one for sale in the Marketplace! Sounds like a great opportunity for her!!

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought one from Wesellcellular on Ebay for $120 a few months ago, and it was practically brand new. I'm guessing it was a return to a Verizon Store. If you buy a used one, buy one from a seller with good standing, and a return policy. Good luck.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep, they will only allow 3G phones on their prepaid smartphone plans. I was willing to pay the $60 to put my Verizon branded 822 on that plan because Verizon's coverage is so much better where I live, but got the "That's a smartphone..." line. Ended up going with Straight Talk's ATT $45 plan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk