Chime in: Are you still using Xbox One's Kinect?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
xbox-one-kinect-front.jpg

Kinect might be dead, but that doesn't mean it's useless.
A while ago, Microsoft admitted that it had ended production on Kinect units, effectively killing the motion-controlling camera array. Kinect not only had potential as a casual gaming peripheral, it also had home-automation and voice-control qualities via Cortana voice commands and its TV-controlling IR blaster.
The IR blaster is now baked directly into the console, and for the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X, you need to use a pricey adapter to continue using your Kinect. However, it is still quite cool to be able to navigate your cable channels and control volume and power simply by saying it, and there are tons of great kids games. At least one forum user agrees.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I use it on my pc, never had a console, its a great webcam, does hello authentication and the mics are superb, my dream was to use my htpc via touchscreen-like gestures on the projector screen, but apparently microsoft expected devs to do it all since they didnt even bother including some basic UI navigation on w8.1 or 10

I just picked another one up for 10$ shipped, just in case since they are going extinct, and I figured paying that + 40$ for the adapter barely touches the logitech c920 price for a new buyer, and surely anyone with a desk would get the kinect instead

now onto the adapter issue... oh your god microsoft... they are pretty much charging 40-50$ for a 12v dc power injector, the cables aren't even proprietary as many think, they used USB3 type B powered and made it look soldered in place, it isn't. they tried to keep it tidy with a single cable, now look at the mess they made, they could at least sell the adapter for a fair price, it shouldnt cost more than the average cellphone usb charger because thats pretty much what it is, you could literally just pry it open and connect a 12v charger to the extra terminals on the port behind the kinect and replace that cable with an off the shelf usb3 type B cable, I estimate that would cost you 16$ at most for both a 12v psu and usb3 type b cable

now to make things worse, that already overpriced adapter is now $60+ because Christmas and the X releasing soon has enthusiasts buying it en mass

RonSouther

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I use the voice controls daily to interface with the console. I assumed that the Invoke would have this capability when it released, but was incorrect. I had to purchase the adapter to continue to use voice via the Kinect. Hopefully, Cortana gets updated so that voice commands will work across devices.

XcZachx20

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I love yelling at my tv/Xbox and it actually listens. I will find an adapter when I upgrade to an Xbox One X. I only use it for voice commands and not for games really.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa