China Is Selling a SP3 / S3 Knockoff

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Didn't the developers say that this was a 'nod' to the surface developers, even though everything (apart from the fact that its running Android) is a knockoff...

I'm surprised that Microsoft haven't sued the developers

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Didn't the developers say that this was a 'nod' to the surface developers, even though everything (apart from the fact that its running Android) is a knockoff...

I'm surprised that Microsoft haven't sued the developers
sometimes company agreements are complicated. It is possible that Microsoft didn't own the design but licensed it. It's possible that Microsoft doesn't mind it being copied. Maybe Microsoft is waiting a bit longer before dropping the hammer on them.

In any event, I'm very interested in the Jide Remix. A Surface device with the availability of Android apps? That is very appealing to me. The Remix OS attempts to some innovating things with Android.

If I could buy a Surface and install Android on it, I would... absent that, the Jide Remix is a possibility.

WilliamButlerOgden

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
sometimes company agreements are complicated. It is possible that Microsoft didn't own the design but licensed it. It's possible that Microsoft doesn't mind it being copied. Maybe Microsoft is waiting a bit longer before dropping the hammer on them.

In any event, I'm very interested in the Jide Remix. A Surface device with the availability of Android apps? That is very appealing to me. The Remix OS attempts to some innovating things with Android.

If I could buy a Surface and install Android on it, I would... absent that, the Jide Remix is a possibility.

Your prayers have been answered!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to find a reason why anyone would want to put Android on a SP3????

It's not an SP3. And why Android, because it's free and they can re-skin it however they choose. They can't re-skin Windows, and I'm not sure Chrome is free.

I do like the Chiclet keyboard though. I think a Chiclet keyboard would improve the type cover.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm trying to find a reason why anyone would want to put Android on a SP3????
Maybe because Android is a mobile, touch-optimized OS better suited for touch than Windows. Maybe because of the wealth of apps available for Android that would make it an enjoyable tablet experience.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Maybe because Android is a mobile, touch-optimized OS better suited for touch than Windows. Maybe because of the wealth of apps available for Android that would make it an enjoyable tablet experience.
Then why not get a Galaxy Note Pro? Or have you a Ferrari instead if a pickup?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Then why not get a Galaxy Note Pro? Or have you a Ferrari instead if a pickup?
I already have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Surface Pro 3, the kickstand, and the TypeCover (as bad as the trackpad is, I love the feel of the keyboard)

The Galaxy Note Pro is a fine device, but hardware-wise is still inferior to the the Surface Pro 3. I don't mind paying a premium for a premium experience. As a premium ultrabook, I think that the Surface Pro 3 succeeds... as a tablet, not even close. But a Surface Pro 3 natively running Android would be a perfect combination IMO.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I had a Galaxy Note 10.1 and though it was a good device, it wasn't even close to being as good as my SP3. The SP3 is a great tablet as well as an Ultrabook. It has replaced both my Galaxy Note 10.1 AND a 17" Dell laptop.

As far as apps are concerned, if you are just wanting to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or read news feeds, then sure a Samsung or Apple tablet is for you. If you actually want to get something done, then the SP3 is for you. The reality is that there are more programs/apps that will run on my SP3 than would run on my old Galaxy Note 10.1. I can run Photoshop, Lightroom, Office, as well as use it for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

When Windows 10 is released to consumers at the end of July, we'll see even more improvements.

anon(5340153)

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, as the author of that article said

There is one positive thing I can say about the execrable Jide Tech Remix tablet/laptop: Its existence means the Microsoft Surface has officially arrived.

Chinese manufacturers don’t waste their time building knock-offs of poorly-selling, third-tier products. They build facsimiles of the best, the cream of the crop, in the hope that desperate buyers go looking for great deals on "just-as-good" technology.

This is good news disguised as bad news. :excited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I had a Galaxy Note 10.1 and though it was a good device, it wasn't even close to being as good as my SP3. The SP3 is a great tablet as well as an Ultrabook. It has replaced both my Galaxy Note 10.1 AND a 17" Dell laptop.

As far as apps are concerned, if you are just wanting to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or read news feeds, then sure a Samsung or Apple tablet is for you.
Many people think that "apps" are nothing more than app-ified websites. There is some terrific software out there for Android and iOS that are far more than a front-end to a website. Boss Jock Studio for iOS has no equal on Windows tablets. Using MS Office for Android and iOS offers a more natural tablet experience than using the desktop version on a Windows tablet.

I'm not please in the direction (or lack of one) that Apple is taking with the iPad, so I've begun spending more time with my Android tablets identify software that will allow me to get things done.

If you actually want to get something done, then the SP3 is for you. The reality is that there are more programs/apps that will run on my SP3 than would run on my old Galaxy Note 10.1. I can run Photoshop, Lightroom, Office, as well as use it for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

When Windows 10 is released to consumers at the end of July, we'll see even more improvements.
If running desktop apps on a tablet is a "good thing" in your opinion, then enjoy. As for myself, I've already had that experience back in 2000. The continued lack of touch-optimized Modern UI apps is what makes the Surface family sub-par tablets.

If the SP3 makes a "great tablet" (as in, using it without the typecover) in comparison to the Galaxy Note, then the Galaxy Note was probably overkill for your use cases.

As for "seeing more improvements" with Windows 10. That remains to be seen. From what I've seen on some of the previews, Microsoft has over-corrected and removed some of the tablet/touch centric elements... such as the Charms Bar.

That leads to the question of Microsoft's commitment to the Modern UI. They've essentially stopped trying to court software developers to develop native Modern UI apps and instead have begun promoting their translation technology that would allow iOS and Android developers to convert their apps over to Modern UI apps. Traditionally, that (translation tools) marked the beginning of the end for a technology.

Microsoft has recently pulled the Modern UI version of Skype...with no indication that it will return.

I was actually a fan of the Surface RT. I saw the value of it being different than the Pro. The benefit was in the Modern UI which was terrific for touch operation.

I own an Acer Aspire Switch 11. It's a terrific device. All of the capabilities of the entry level SP3 at nearly half the price. As a netbook... it's terrific. The active stylus is a pleasure to use with OneNote. But in tablet mode... ugh... all because of the lack of touch-optimized Modern UI apps.

To bring it back on subject... that is why there is interest in the Jide Remix (and my comment regarding installing Android on a Surface). Anyone (who isn't an anti-Microsoft bigot) acknowledges the world-class quality of the Surface hardware. There is no question about that. But for some/many, it is the lack of touch-optimized software that tarnish that hardware when attempting to use it as a tablet.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The Surface RT and the Surface Pro both have the same interface, and the pro runs all the apps the surface rt does, plus 3rd party, flash, Java and desktop apps. I am surprised you were a fan of the gimped version of windows rather than the full version.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The Surface RT and the Surface Pro both have the same interface, and the pro runs all the apps the surface rt does, plus 3rd party, flash, Java and desktop apps. I am surprised you were a fan of the gimped version of windows rather than the full version.
I was a fan of Windows RT and the Surface RT because of what it could've been, not the half-baked approach that Microsoft took.

In a nutshell, Windows RT wasn't gimped enough.

Take Windows RT (as it was delivered on the Surface RT/2) but gut out the enterprise underpinnings that make absolutely no sense for a consumer tablet and place greater emphasis on the Modern UI (by having major devs fully support it with their apps).

As it was, Windows RT had all of the issues and support overhead of Windows x86. On a consumer tablet that makes no sense. Consumers agreed.

RT could've been a leaner, cleaner, more secure version for consumers. But Microsoft wasn't bold enough, and attempted to play it safe by calling both Pro and RT devices by the same "Surface" name, and the operating systems by the name. That caused a lot of much deserved confusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99