Choosing a Windows Phone

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It's been a while since I visited these forums. Last time was when I had my Icon. In any event, I'm here because I was hoping to get some help from some WP users about choosing a Windows Phone for my wife.

Let me start by saying I understand the situation Windows Phone is in and that there are better phones out there and all that. But my wife has always thought it was cool looking to have a Windows Phone and likes the ideas of the tiles and really in the end only cares about knowing how to make calls, text, emails and the like. She's ready to just settle with a Windows Phone. Now the fun.

She's coming from an S7. She doesn't like it. She likes the camera, but unlike me she doesn't care about screen resolution and bezels and RAM and all that stuff. She just wants her basic apps and a good camera. Now basic meaning FB (maybe) and her JW Library app. Now I know it's hard if not impossible to find a Windows Phone that has a camera as good as the S7. But if there's one that's close then that's going to one to pick. Of course, I want to be sure she doesn't have issues with stuttering, terrible battery life and all. But features wise, the camera is the biggest thing.

So, any one with any good suggestions about what I should be looking at and where I might find it?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If she is looking for a "top shelf" camera then 950 or 950 XL would be the natural choice.

Depending on camera use/needs a 650 might do. I'm finding mine very usable and it does take some very good pics for an 8MP camera.

I'd check these threads:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...44-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-950-xl.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...621-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-950-a.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...504-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-650-a.html

Obviously, the 650 won't have the performance of the big guys, but overall spec and price might make it more attractive for your purchase at this time. The screen is beautiful, the size and styling is very pleasing and the build quality seems great to me. It's running W10M very well in my experience.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
It's been a while since I visited these forums. Last time was when I had my Icon. In any event, I'm here because I was hoping to get some help from some WP users about choosing a Windows Phone for my wife.

Let me start by saying I understand the situation Windows Phone is in and that there are better phones out there and all that. But my wife has always thought it was cool looking to have a Windows Phone and likes the ideas of the tiles and really in the end only cares about knowing how to make calls, text, emails and the like. She's ready to just settle with a Windows Phone. Now the fun.

She's coming from an S7. She doesn't like it. She likes the camera, but unlike me she doesn't care about screen resolution and bezels and RAM and all that stuff. She just wants her basic apps and a good camera. Now basic meaning FB (maybe) and her JW Library app. Now I know it's hard if not impossible to find a Windows Phone that has a camera as good as the S7. But if there's one that's close then that's going to one to pick. Of course, I want to be sure she doesn't have issues with stuttering, terrible battery life and all. But features wise, the camera is the biggest thing.

So, any one with any good suggestions about what I should be looking at and where I might find it?

Well, you chose the right place to post about it.
And yes, agreed, the windows phone share is not much in the market, but believe it or not, it is the future, and even right now, like you said, fills all the basic needs.

Now i see your wife already owns an s7. Not a cheap device to be frank. So i believe you will be looking for a high end device only.

So here are my options.

1. Lumia 950.
Lovely phone. Has gotten the best camera, very good battery life. Light weight. People call the looks of the phone to be uninspiring, but to be honest, I love it. It feels different.
And now as it has windows 10, it works very well. Screen size is 5.2". Which actually is quite enough for regular use.

2. Lumia 950xl.
This is just the bigger and somewhat better version of 950. Camera and ram and storage is the same. The chipset is a bit different. But you do not need to worry about that. Looking at the points you mentioned, I believe you should ask her what size she wants.
If a smaller one, little smaller than her s7, then go for 950. If you want a bit bigger, then go for 950xl.
Also, believe it or not, it won't be a downgrade as such from her s7. The display, the sound. The camera and things like that are still top notch like you get in the current market.

These are on discounts lately . They are high end. But not so high anymore i guess.
P.s. They both have continuum.

3. Hp elite x3.

Okay, this device is a beast. You can do a million things with this device which won't actually matter to you as your wife doesn't / won't need them. It is better than 950 and 950 xl in almost all ways, except camera.

But again, it is 6" big. Yes. Very big. And heavy too. Not sure if you wife will like it. But i only suggested it is coz it has the best specifications' you can get in a windows phone. And, it is water resistant. Just like her s7.
But it is expensive. And not to forget, big and heavy.

So

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
So, you can see which one you want out of those three. You will love it if you choose any one of them. And your wife won't feel that she downgraded from her s7.

Also, you can look for lumia 650. It looks amazing. Metal frame and all. Camera is decent too, of course no match for the preview 20mp camera you get in Lumia 950xl and 950. But it is not bad.

Only downside: It is lower end product. I mean mid range. But now lower end as a lot more better products are there in the market. Not in windows though.
Also, it is 5".

That's that. Hope I was able to help. :)

RockStarNinja

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I've got the Alcatel Idol 4s and I really love it, like your wife I use my phone for most basic functions and a few apps. It might be with checking out. It's a little pricy, even with the VR included, but I don't mind paying a little more for a phone that works as it should.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
If she is looking for a "top shelf" camera then 950 or 950 XL would be the natural choice.

Depending on camera use/needs a 650 might do. I'm finding mine very usable and it does take some very good pics for an 8MP camera.

I'd check these threads:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...44-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-950-xl.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...621-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-950-a.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...504-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-650-a.html

Obviously, the 650 won't have the performance of the big guys, but overall spec and price might make it more attractive for your purchase at this time. The screen is beautiful, the size and styling is very pleasing and the build quality seems great to me. It's running W10M very well in my experience.

Thank you for the recommendation and the link to the threads. I showed her the 650 and she liked it too. Definitely got some choices to choose from. Always a good thing.

So, you can see which one you want out of those three. You will love it if you choose any one of them. And your wife won't feel that she downgraded from her s7.

Also, you can look for lumia 650. It looks amazing. Metal frame and all. Camera is decent too, of course no match for the preview 20mp camera you get in Lumia 950xl and 950. But it is not bad.

Only downside: It is lower end product. I mean mid range. But now lower end as a lot more better products are there in the market. Not in windows though.
Also, it is 5".

That's that. Hope I was able to help. :)

Those definitely helped. Fortunately for me she only got the S7 because she wanted to match me so high end isn't necessary 😁. But camera is most important because she wants to be able to print them so there's that. I appreciate your help.

I've got the Alcatel Idol 4s and I really love it, like your wife I use my phone for most basic functions and a few apps. It might be with checking out. It's a little pricy, even with the VR included, but I don't mind paying a little more for a phone that works as it should.

I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like a device that would work for her too. Thanks for the recommendation. How's the camera on that by the way?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like a device that would work for her too. Thanks for the recommendation. How's the camera on that by the way?

Check the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/445106-official-idol-4s-picture-video-thread.html

My experience on non-Nokia/Microsoft phones is that they need a bit of help in some situations. Either manual tweaks to pre shot settings, post shot edits or alternate camera apps. Not always the best situation for point and shoot satisfaction. That is definitely more of a Zeiss/OIS/PureView strong point.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Check the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/445106-official-idol-4s-picture-video-thread.html

My experience on non-Nokia/Microsoft phones is that they need a bit of help in some situations. Either manual tweaks to pre shot settings, post shot edits or alternate camera apps. Not always the best situation for point and shoot satisfaction. That is definitely more of a Zeiss/OIS/PureView strong point.

Definitely should have looked for that thread first. It does seem that its not the best point and shoot, and while other settings or apps help, I don't know if that's something she'll really be interested in. Thanks for the link.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Well my wife has been doing her own research apparently and seems to have a liking to the 930 a lot and also the 1520. She's into the different colors and the build of these and the squarer look vs the newer Nokias. Who would have guessed? Is it worth picking up one of these? Win 10 coming or on them?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well my wife has been doing her own research apparently and seems to have a liking to the 930 a lot and also the 1520. She's into the different colors and the build of these and the squarer look vs the newer Nokias. Who would have guessed? Is it worth picking up one of these? Win 10 coming or on them?
Just be aware that the front facing cam on the 930 and 1520 are kind of bad (1 megapixel vs. 5MP on the 950), and that the ATT 1520 models don't have wireless charging. If she's into the 930 I'd still personally recommend getting one of those $250 950 offers if still available. Much faster phone, great FFC, great camera, and none of the 'ghost touch' issues that many 1520 units develop over time. I've got one in a drawer that is now unusable due to touch issues. Maybe you're lucky, but I feel like a 1520 is more of a risk IMO. Plus the 950 will be new with warranty. And you can buy some funky back covers for it too, e.g. wood covers with charging coils built in, or bright colors, but no charging in those iirc, see the Mozo website. About WP10, I think neither the 930 or 1520 are officially supported (as in 'no guarantees), although I have a preview build running on the old broken 1520. Maybe someone else knows the details.

Handy comparison: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...ia-950,Nokia-Lumia-1520/phones/8571,9544,8109

Last edited:

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't really suggest that. 950 and 950xl are kinda squarish, of course not as much as the old 930 and 1520. I have Lumia 830 myself, the last nokia Lumia. it is a perfect rectangular device she would want, but again, it is old now. I would still personally suggest Lumia 950 or 950xl.

anyway, that's totally my personal choice.

and also, you are always welcome. ;) :D

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Just be aware that the front facing cam on the 930 and 1520 are kind of bad (1 megapixel vs. 5MP on the 950), and that the ATT 1520 models don't have wireless charging. If she's into the 930 I'd still personally recommend getting one of those $250 950 offers if still available. Much faster phone, great FFC, great camera, and none of the 'ghost touch' issues that many 1520 units develop over time. I've got one in a drawer that is now unusable due to touch issues. Maybe you're lucky, but I feel like a 1520 is more of a risk IMO. Plus the 950 will be new with warranty. And you can buy some funky back covers for it too, e.g. wood covers with charging coils built in, or bright colors, but no charging in those iirc, see the Mozo website. About WP10, I think neither the 930 or 1520 are officially supported (as in 'no guarantees), although I have a preview build running on the old broken 1520. Maybe someone else knows the details.

Handy comparison: Nokia Lumia 930 vs Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Nokia Lumia 1520 - Phone specs comparison

I wouldn't really suggest that. 950 and 950xl are kinda squarish, of course not as much as the old 930 and 1520. I have Lumia 830 myself, the last nokia Lumia. it is a perfect rectangular device she would want, but again, it is old now. I would still personally suggest Lumia 950 or 950xl.

anyway, that's totally my personal choice.

and also, you are always welcome. ;) :D

Joe920, thanks for that comparison chart. I really appreciate you guys help with all this.

So looks we're going with the 950. She was sold on the camera and the iris scanner. She thought it was cool and said just get me that. I appreciate everyone's input and help. Greatly appreciated.

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
In Australia, Harvey Norman used to sell the 950 at a steep cost, it was a little less expensive as the HP x3 (they don't sell it anymore.) Anyways, that aside, the HP x3 looks good in my opinion (If she wants a Windows Phone for the looks and usability.) The HP x3 weighs 195 grams, a little more than your current phone (s7=152 grams.)

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
By the way, is it too late to change her mind to an Apple? Just saying, the iPhone 7 is well designed and has an A10 chip, which is one of the fastest chips out there. From the benchmarks, you can see it outpaces most of its competitors (don't want to start a war, please.)

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
The idol 4S in a great Windows phone but the camera lacks Optical Image Stabilization and doesn't focus as fast as i would like. Just my 2 cents since the camera is very important to this user. The Lumia phones with OIS and Zeiss optics all had better cameras, in my opinion the camera on my Lumia 830 was better.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Just an update we found a 950 on ebay so she's excited. Unfortunately they're out of stock on Microsoft's website so we had to go digging a lil bit to find one but she's definitely happy with the choice, and I'm sure it'll be good to have a phone with upgraded specs than the Nokias she's was trying to get.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Joe920, thanks for that comparison chart. I really appreciate you guys help with all this.

So looks we're going with the 950. She was sold on the camera and the iris scanner. She thought it was cool and said just get me that. I appreciate everyone's input and help. Greatly appreciated.

I am so happy she got the phone of my choice, and her choice. she is gonna love it. ;)
good day sir. and let your wife know as well, this is the best place for any doubts she wants to ask regarding her phone, in the future. maybe even she can join the community.

anyway, we are always happy to help.
:)

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
SD2xx-SD4xx is underpowered for W10M. Her only choices IMO are Lumia 930, 1520, 950, 950XL, Acer Liquid, HP X3 and Alcatel Idol 4S.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234