Confirmed high speed Internet but low speed access

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Pay for Time Warner/Spectrum's ultra high speed broadband (300Mbps/100Mbps).
Tech was here a few days ago and confirmed those speeds are being delivered.

However my LAN wired desktop is delivering a fraction of that speed (15/5).

Have run all the troubleshooting I've read about (Win10 Network troubleshooter, SFC, DISM) - all report no issues.

Regularly run CCleaner - have cleared caches.

Similar difficulties with current versions of MS Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

Android devices attached to the same network do not have speed issues.

Cable guy suggested RAM could be a problem but asking The Google contradicted that theory.

I work from home and rely on fast web access for my livelihood. Ready to pull out my hair.
=====
System specs:
PC: Compaq CQ2014 (wiped clean with Win10 install about a month ago)
Processor: AMD E-300 w/Radeon HD graphics (1.3 GHz)
RAM: 3.00 GB (2.60 GB usable)
HDD: ST350041 3AS SATA 454.09 GB (211.86 GB available)

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you are correct holdum333; I was reading the post, and toward the end was just skimming the content... sorry";^)
Not a problem my friend. Thanks for joining this thread. I like team work! It was a good suggestion. I was also wondering if it was the right cable, but OP said the cable repairman used that same cable to check the down load speed!. I like your dog. My favorite breed!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Friend You should be fine with 8GB RAM.:wink: Yes You can over due RAM and not even use all of it and it's wasted. Might be different if your a gamer. IDK I'm not a gamer! Hoping that new USB adapter gets you what you're wanting! Got my fingers crossed!
I have never seen my memory usage go over 60% in the Task Manager.

Attachments

• fingers crossed.jpg
    fingers crossed.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 19

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Dr H, when you performing speed test please make sure there is nothing using bandwidth in the background, like system updates or other programs.

It's strange that sometimes you can achieve max speed. That makes me believe that something else is using bandwidth or the problem relies with Time Warner themselves.

Sent from mTalk

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@ PlexusCV

I have done both.
I just ran the test while sitting home alone (even switched off the WiFi for my idle phone and tablet):

Chrome
TWC speed: 36.01/16.69 Mbps (291ms)
Speedtest.net: 40.57/16.69 (101ms)

If we are operating under the assumption my desktop network speed is throttled by the onboard 10/100 Ethernet card and I am actually getting 300 Mbps speed, even if I had other devices online, shouldn't there be room for them in the additional 200 Mbps?
Why would my desktop still be only getting 50% of its max speed?

@ Zulfigar
Bowing to security/tracking concerns, I dabbled with TunnelBear's VPN a while ago, but was never able to make it connect properly so uninstalled it. There is no VPN currently.

The USB > Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter is on the brown truck for delivery today.
Updates as they become available.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@ PlexusCV

I have done both.
I just ran the test while sitting home alone (even switched off the WiFi for my idle phone and tablet):

Chrome
TWC speed: 36.01/16.69 Mbps (291ms)
Speedtest.net: 40.57/16.69 (101ms)

If we are operating under the assumption my desktop network speed is throttled by the onboard 10/100 Ethernet card and I am actually getting 300 Mbps speed, even if I had other devices online, shouldn't there be room for them in the additional 200 Mbps?

@ Zulfigar
Bowing to security/tracking concerns, I dabbled with TunnelBear's VPN a while ago, but was never able to make it connect properly so uninstalled it. There is no VPN currently.

The USB > Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter is on the brown truck for delivery today.
Updates as they become available.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Does your router have gigabit Ethernet ports on it? If it doesn't the new faster network card won't help you at all. A friend of mine was having issues with slow internet (he didn't upgrade his service with the ISP though), after much troubleshooting on his part i asked him if he wanted to try swapping out the ISP supplied router with an old 802.11g Buffalo one i was tossing since i had upgraded to an 802.11n one. The router fixed his issues he immediately just bought a new router.

My 2 cents, you've already tried most things and I myself have never liked the ISP supplied routers.

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
@ PlexusCV

That's correct, but I was referring only to your PC. For example, if windows is updating and you make the test simultaneously the result won't be correct because update is occupying part of the ethernets card capability.

In my last post I wrote bandwidth but I meant your ethernet card, sorry for the confusion.

Sent from mTalk

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi There! Are we having fun yet? "The USB > Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter is on the brown truck for delivery today.
Updates as they become available".
PS Post#68! Please note the adapter is a USB adapter. Hurry up brown truck. I can hardly wait. LMAO

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@ DigitalDD

OK, now I am VERY confused.

The modem/router is an Arris Interactive 1706A

Specs from their support page:
Arris Interactive 1706A specs.PNG

As you can see in the blue boxes, it has one gigabit port and 802.11n WiFi.

[But, a troubling aside, it also lists having MoCA technology and a guest wireless feature, neither I've seen in actual use]

I looked at the 4 LAN ports and there is nothing to distinguish the 1 Giga port.

From the instruction manual:
Arris 1706 Gbps.PNG
Arris 1706A Gbps p2.PNG

As an indicator light is all there is to identify the Giga port, it would seem that the modem adapts to provide Giga access to whichever port is pulling Gig speeds?
Yes?
As of right now, I only have amber lights appearing for the connected LAN cables.
FYI, the cable connected to my desktop is a rated CAT6 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3604542)

Still awaiting brown truck delivery of my USB adapter.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
BROWN TRUCK UPDATE #2

Certainly no complicated installation issues, plugged it in, it did its setup things.
Ethernet2 properties.PNG

Even the little light on my modem/router changed from amber to green.

Fired up the TWC speed test:
New TWC test.PNG

Look at the new high limit speedometer.

And then:
USB error.PNG

But then:
USB before special driver install.PNG

Now, the instruction manual said there needed to be a driver update - but plugging it in did run a setup.
I downloaded the special driver from Anker and installed.

And ...
TWC Edge after driver.PNG

And ...
Speedtest Chrome after driver.PNG
But the greater concern, these are popping up intermittently:
Loss of connection.PNG

Meanwhile, even though I'm supposed to be getting 100+ Mbps speed (but not the 300 Time-Warner clocked), my web pages are still sluggish.

<sigh>

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Can you try again speedtest.net but change to other servers near you. Just in case TWC servers could be with problems, so we can rule that out.

Sluggish scrolling on web pages could also be gpu related. Make sure you also have the latest graphic drivers. How is YouTube video playback, is it fluid?

Sent from mTalk

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@ PlexusCV
The servers are near me ... Utica is 15 miles to the east, Syracuse 40 miles to the west.

According to the AMD Catalyst Control Center, drivers are up-to-date.

Why do you think the USB/Ethernet is disconnecting on its on?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dr H It seems to me the only way your ever going to be satisfied is with a new rig that has a SSD and all the updated hardware. I'm also thinking you might need another visit from the cable guy. Tell them you're not satisfied and show him what's going on and threaten them with changing ISP. They carry laptops with them. Have him hook his up and show you that it's your problem. Get mean. You have two PCs and you can't get the speed you're paying for. I agree with @PlexusCV. There's lots of reasons for a slow PC. When I see that red X(Post #73) on your internet connection, that gives me great concern about the ISP.:wink: When you get that many different reading; and one failed, some thing ain't right IMHO. I'm really out of my pay grade on this one.
You all have fun!

Attachments

• superman_drinking_.jpg
    superman_drinking_.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Did you run speed test on those severs? What were the results?

Try this for usb adapter: Go into device manager, and find the network adapter. Then, right-click and select properties.
Next find the power management tab. Finally un-tick the boxes on that tab that allow for the adapter to be turned off, and apply. you should now have no problems with it turning off all the time.

Sent from mTalk

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Quickly losing my mind.

@ PlexusCV
I did open the properties and shut off the only power option I could find. That SEEMS to have resolved the random disconnects.

However, this morning's speedchecks ... with no other devices in use:

2016-12-15 Speedtext Chrome.PNG

2016-12-15 TWC Chrome.PNG

Seriously, WTF? These are both local servers and the network properties data says I have a gigabyte connection.
This is going to turn out to be a tiny glitch somewhere in the billion lines of code that runs this computer, isn't it?

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
This is going to turn out to be a tiny glitch somewhere in the billion lines of code that runs this computer, isn't it?

I use one method to rule out windows OS problems, you could try it too.
Use a linux bootable usb thumb drive, boot up linux and try those tests again.
If you are willing to try this you will need a blank usb thumb drive with at least 2Gb of storage, download and install a program called 'rufus' on your PC and download a linux ISO.
I recommend Linux Mint XFCE or Lubuntu because they have a very light UI.

Sent from mTalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)