Confused - Mix feelings.

OriginalLucy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought the Alcatel idol 4s with Windows 10. I just wanted to use it for business and run shopify pos app, I bought the wrong phone silly head. I guess my niece will have a new device with vr headset to play with. DOH. Good thing I kept my PRIV

kwickone

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I too loved Windows Phone, but there is ZERO tangible reason to invest in it right now. Would l love a newly released Windows device that ran "full" Windows 10 and had cellular capability, HECK YEAH! But I would still be cautious if/when it is released due to the past (lack of) commitment. But, that being said, I would still probably buy it...because I have a device problem :winktongue:

AnxiousPanda

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Huh. I'm new to the forum.

I probably have too much to say about the current state of the windows mobile platform, but I'm pretty sure most of it has been covered and many other users probably have the same exact feelings.
Bottom line is, back in 2013 I made my first switch to a touchscreen based device, and back in the day going with a budget-y android device wasn't the smartest move (it was a huawei device if I'm correct). Before that I used almost exclusively blackberries (on the old java based platform). That cheap huawei phone scarred me for life, it was a dreadful user experience, the phone irritated me with the most basic tasks (better said when I was trying to complete them) and overall I just started looking elsewhere asap. I happened to pick up the lumia 925, because it was a little under 200 pounds here in the UK at the time, and it seemed really appealing. That's how I got into Windows Phone. I miss that old phone dearly. Probably even regret getting rid of it. It really felt like a dream, using it was effortless and buttery smooth, it honesltly felt like nothing I've used in the past, and every time I had it out of my pocket it turned heads. But what I loved the most about windows on the phone was that it really felt like an extension of your life, the original approach of making the experience "yours" really worked. Needless to say, I had different lumia phones over the time before finally jumping ships, even converted both my parents to it and they have a hard time saying goodbye to the platform and are still using it. I think sadly it's a matter of time when the big players pull out the plug, the previously mentioned whatsapp or telegram, and it will be a bummer. I normally use two phones, and have recently picked up the LG V30, which I love, but no matter the phone I pick there always seems to be this void that can't be filled, for instance no other phone gave me the same feelings my old beloved Lumia 925 did. That said I might be crazy or mental, but I only just picked up a Lumia 640 off ebay, the listing claimed it to be "brand new" but I'm not certain if that is true, it might just be a refurbished one. But there appears to be some sort of clearance going on online, because the prices are a steal. It arrived today and it reminded me of all the possible reasons why I loved using windows phones. Not to mention MS managed to pull off the best dual sim management on a mobile platform. Since that is what I needed, I'll stick to the 640 as my secondary phone for as long as I can. Heck, I might even look for a backup device too. I'd love to own a high end Windows Phone again, so maybe will aim for that when my budget allows it. I am super bummed out to witness the platform die, they got so many things right and in a way the competitors couldn't.

SageSage456

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I have a cheap $120 Windows Lumina 735. It has always been a good phone for me, my needs are simple, no financial stuff with the phone. I'm retired so the whole link-to-work is moot now.

When I dropped the last 735 and killed it there was no hesitation on getting another of the same. I saw a HTC WP for half price recently and almost got it for when this 735 dies. I don't want to see the day when I am forced to use a phone I don't like.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I got a brand new galaxy, used it for a month and I'm back on my 950xl. Android is a mess, Imo, and i couldn't stand it. The ui is frigging terrible. It's an OS designed without any style or love. I'll stick with my wp until the next windows phone line launches.

That being said, i wouldn't buy a new WP today. Idk what i would buy, but it's a tough situation right now.

Well, I bought a new Windows Mobile 10 phone one week ago and I love it. However, it was a unlocked Idol 4s at the Microsoft store for only $167 + tax so there is that. I would not have bought it at the MSRP though, no chance.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
i never used android or ios before.. windows was my first smartphone os..i started using it in 2013.. bought my first android device (oneplus 5T) last month and still have my lumia 640 active. i feel it was a good decision. moving on from live tiles was not that difficult.

I am not surprised, you went from a low mid range phone to essentially a high end phone. That said, it is a good choice for a phone that size. I have a Idol 4s I purchased but, I also have a Sony Xperia XA1 because I do not like the larger Android phones.

nmco9

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Why couldn't you get Exchange email on your Windows Phone, if I may ask? It works fine for me. I am just curious.

There are many organizations that put OS/app restrictions on their e-mail servers depending on how important security is. My work only allows access to Exchange via iOS/Android via the default apps or Outlook. No other app will work, including desktop Outlook. When I started a couple years ago they didn't support WP, but I had already switched to iOS at the time and I'd be surprised if anyone's even tried to use a WP in years.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
There are many organizations that put OS/app restrictions on their e-mail servers depending on how important security is. My work only allows access to Exchange via iOS/Android via the default apps or Outlook. No other app will work, including desktop Outlook. When I started a couple years ago they didn't support WP, but I had already switched to iOS at the time and I'd be surprised if anyone's even tried to use a WP in years.

That's very interesting. Luckily the company I work for is not that restrictive and I can set up my company email on my Elite X3 Windows Phone just fine.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
It's a matter of time before those apps disappear. Starbucks just left and they are Microsoft's good friend. Quality and features already dying off slowly

They did? Never even noticed since I never used it, even on my Android phone. If I need an app, that was what my Android phone is for.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
while wp10 was clean and was well done, without Google supporting it with their apps no one else followed. the platform died along with the apps both in quality and in number until there was nothing left

That is what happens when you have a monopoly and no accountability. (Google, that is.) However, if MS had done that with the search engine and browser on their OS..........

TV3

May 1, 2017
Visit site
The UI is too hard to live without. This is the first reason why I decided to buy a new battery for my 950 hoping it will solve some issues I have with the phone now.

Has the new battery made a difference? I've been running a 950 for 18 days now, battery life is appalling, despite all of the other positives I found with the unit moving up from a 640.

Put the first week down to new over use, installing apps etc but after things have settled down lucky to get 4 hours full to empty, it will discharge itself without use during the course of a waking day.

Travelling next week and I am already planning a back up option for when the 950 will be out of battery by lunchtime. The only upside is that it charges back to 100% in 90 minutes.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Same with me. I work in healthcare and no Exchange via Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124