Convert your RM-983 to a RM-985?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I haven't decided that I will do this, but I am considering it, and wanted to get some input as to whether anyone would be interested before my 985's sell on ebay.

I have 2 RM-985's with broken screens. I was thinking of selling one as is, and the other I was going to replace the screen, then sell.

However, and maybe it's the bourbon, or maybe I feel sorry for you guys trapped with 983's that are unhappy about it, but I am considering <key word> offering the following, so I wanted to see if anyone would be interested. This doesn't maximize my profits on these phones, so don't think I'm trying to scam you somehow, but maybe it helps 2 of you:

- you backup, then factory reset, then send me your RM-983. You would also send me some amount of money via PayPal (haven't sorted it out yet, but 985's are obviously more costly than 983's, so it is not an even trade for me).

- I take your phone, swap motherboards, and send it back. Both of the ones that I have are white backs. I could swap your battery cover, so your new phone is not branded, or you could keep your ATT branded battery cover. But, all I have is white if you want the unbranded one. That may or may not work for you.

- I send the phone back to you, you restore your backup, and you now have a RM-985 unlocked, as opposed to an ATT locked RM-983, tucked inside your previous ATT chassis.

So, you get an RM-985 unlocked, with full Denim. I get an amount to cover the difference in value, and two 983's.

Honestly, what I want to do is come out whole: ie - recoup the difference in value between the 985's I have, and the 983's I'd end up with. As long as I end up the same, I'd be (hopefully) helping you.

Whoever did it would get a RM-985 for a fraction of the cost of buying one. Your cost would be whatever value difference you pay me for the 985 board (I don't do fee-based repair work, so it's parts and shipping only), plus shipping to me.

There are some disclaimers, etc, that would go along with it, that I would have you agree to (like I will video opening your box and inspecting your phone so you don't send me garbage and claim it was mint, IMEI will be checked to make sure I don't end up with a dud after, functions will be tested, there is risk in doing surgery on a phone, blah blah blah).

If there's interest, I could offer it again if I get more 985's.

Alternatively, WP10 will be out in a few months, so it may not be worth it to do this now. I don't know if it is or not - we'll let the market decide.

Would anyone be interested in that deal?

Like I said, I really don't know what the value difference would be yet, but I'm thinking in the $75 range (includes shipping). Is that too high, too low, about right?

PM or reply. If there's not interest I'll plow ahead as they are now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Alternatively, WP10 will be out in a few months, so it may not be worth it to do this now. I don't know if it is or not - we'll let the market decide.

FWIW... I strongly suspect the only way RM-983 owners will ever see official Win 10 Mo on their screens is if they engage the camera and point it at another phone.

laughing-baby-o.gif

Take the deal guys. Don't wait. Bet the two slots are filled fast.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If I planned on staying with AT&T I would jump at it, but I am probably going to go back to Verizon. It sucks that I have to hold my nose and pick one of these carriers to do business with, but that is the sad, sad reality. Thanks so much for the very generous offer though. Much appreciated.

FWIW, I think $75.00 sounds fair. What would the turnaround time be. One week or so? I still may be interested after all. I do like the phone, I'm being wishy washy, I know.

I tried PMing you but your inbox is full.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry - I cleared it out some so I can get PM's again.

I would do the swap the night I get your phone, then send it the next day. Priority shipping takes usually 2, at most 3, days to reach me from anywhere in the country, vice versa. So, I would say 4-6 days.

If I planned on staying with AT&T I would jump at it, but I am probably going to go back to Verizon. It sucks that I have to hold my nose and pick one of these carriers to do business with, but that is the sad, sad reality. Thanks so much for the very generous offer though. Much appreciated.

FWIW, I think $75.00 sounds fair. What would the turnaround time be. One week or so? I still may be interested after all. I do like the phone, I'm being wishy washy, I know.

I tried PMing you but your inbox is full.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry - I cleared it out some so I can get PM's again.

I would do the swap the night I get your phone, then send it the next day. Priority shipping takes usually 2, at most 3, days to reach me from anywhere in the country, vice versa. So, I would say 4-6 days.
That sounds ok to me.I should hear from the AT&T rep Wed or Thurs. I'll know more by then. Thanks again.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, so far there is one confirmed maybe.

Unless I hear something else, I will move ahead with selling/refurbing one of them, and I'll wait til Saturday to do something with the other one.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll check out the price gap between the phones and stuff, maybe I can buy the board (money + 983 board) from you and do-it-myself if you're open to that, and re-retire my 920.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you get it RM-985ed, I'd bet you get Win 10 Mo official on it as well and I really doubt RM-983 will ever see that. Think of it as future proofing.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'll check out the price gap between the phones and stuff, maybe I can buy the board (money + 983 board) from you and do-it-myself if you're open to that, and re-retire my 920.

Sure, PM me after you look at it.

I'd almost rather that you fiddle with your own guts, so to speak.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to drop a note of success here.

A few short hours ago my RM-983, afflicted with the dreaded AT&T-itis underwent a the last step in a radical new treatment to cure it of its horrible, terminal disease.
The latter half of the operation was like the first, rather easy for me, luckily enough.

And it has come out of it a new outlook on life. Never again will it longingly envy the world's 830's. It has come out reborn, as a 985.

The operation has gone off without a hitch and we are happy for the most part.

A couple things worth noting is that I retained most of the phone, which includes the dark grey metal frame as opposed to the silver of most other 830's. And with the white back cover, as I've said before in a thread last year, I shall dub it, the panda combination! (although someone else said piano, so that works too)

Also, I purchased a tempered glass screen protector some time ago for use with my then-983 but the hardware keys refused to register through the thin glass. (start and search, back sometimes) It now works, and I can now use the protector - I think I have the second-coming of Lumia Denim to thank for that. Although the fit isn't so hot. It was cheap and it'll work though.

Let us raise our metaphorical glasses in honor of gordonfink and the new day they have heralded.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Glad it worked out.

We had a false start of sorts with a 985 that apparently was not unlocked, that xandros was too nice to mention. I have that one back now, and I'm unlocking it now - should have a code in a day or two. I'm glad that board number 2 worked out well though, and it's up and running.

Welcome to freedom!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Well folks, I have two more 985's with broken screens in.

Last time around, Xandros was the only one to give this a try, so I sold the other one. I am going to throw these two up for sale tonight, but thought I'd offer the deal again, in case someone was interested in coverting their 983 to a 985. It's pretty easy to swap boards, and requires around 6 or 8 T4 screws to do.

If interested, PM me. Otherwise, they'll probably go to buyers in Europe or somewhere to refurb (usually what happens with these 985's - most sell overseas or Canada it seems).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb