Correct MMS APN for unlocked LTE devices for T-Mobile(Nokia Lumia 1020)

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm writing this thread for T-Mobile customers like myself who have decided to look to ATT or other places for Windows Phone devices not carried by our service provider. I have been going unlocked since the HTC Titan. Then I purchased a Lumia 920 unlocked and owned that for over a year. Everything and I mean everything on my unlocked phones worked perfectly as they should especially once the refarming cell signal efforts of T-Mobile was completed in my area. The result: 99% LTE/4G coverage but here's why that was actually problematic. I could only receive MMS when my phone was on Edge or 4G and 95% of the time the phone preferred the LTE network. I would actually have to hunt or hope my coverage would switch to 4G/Edge to use this feature on my phone. That's because no one told me that the MMS APN I was using was outdated. No one in any of the forums or comments within the WPCentral site ever seemed to have knowledge of the correct APN either as no one provided it.

Well I hope this is a help to all of you guys/gals who are enjoying an unlocked Lumia 1020(like me :) ) or some other LTE capable WP but have that one little annoying problem that I had. So here are the correct settings:
APN: fast.t-mobile.com ( the old one was epc.tmobile.com)
MMSC (URL): http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com//mms/wapenc
MMSC port: 80

With these settings you can send those gorgeous pictures to friends and family while on LTE and any other time. Happy sharing folks.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I thought 4G == LTE?

I think it's like this. 2G=GPRS (G), 2.5G=EDGE (E), 3G=HSDPA (H), 3.5G=HSDPA+ (H+) and 4G=LTE.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes but when it comes to unlocked phones I have found that MMS on the old APN(epc.tmobile.com) only worked on Edge or 4G. When my phones were on LTE it would always send me an error when trying to send or receive picture messages or group messages too for that matter. So in that regard on T-Mobile the 4G and LTE distinction made a difference. But with the updated APN it doesn't matter.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes but when it comes to unlocked phones I have found that MMS on the old APN(epc.tmobile.com) only worked on Edge or 4G. When my phones were on LTE it would always send me an error when trying to send or receive picture messages or group messages too for that matter. So in that regard on T-Mobile the 4G and LTE distinction made a difference. But with the updated APN it doesn't matter.

That's most strange. :/ Group messages though, are treated as MMS so that explains that bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes