Cortana is a growing part of Windows, but very geographically limitid... Will it change?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm just waiting for Japanese support with Cortana. Doubt it'll ever come since they don't even sell Windows Phone in Japan (aside from Amazon JP, which are imported phones afaik), but who knows.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Why do you say Finland has no chance? Cortana is still in Beta, even in the US. Cortana won't get full translation into all languages and regions until she is out of Beta in at least one. It is much easier to add languages and regions to a program after a program has been completed than to add said languages and regions as you go in the programming process. Give it time. Cortana won't be beta forever. As Cortana seems to be fond of saying (at least to me), "I can't do that now. Check back after future updates." :)

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
When support for Dutch comes, you'll love it. Microsoft doesn't want to release a half-assed, incomplete Cortana. They want a functional one for every country. That's why Cortana isn't in the Netherlands. Just remember that at this point, Siri was only available in the US, UK, Germany, France, Austrailia and Japan. Cortana is already in 9 countries.

True, But speech recognition has been outside of the Dutch development arena for a very long time now. In the Netherlands we didnt even have a Dutch language pack back with windows phone 7, evn though phones did offer tell me on the Dutch market, and was even advertised as a feature for the Dutch country variant.

I'm worried that the Netherlands has been out of the speech language pack loop for so long, microsoft has zero feedback to build upon. This makes me sceptical if we're actually going to get "a complete bad-assed cortana" experience in due time.

US, UK, France, Australia and Japan have in the in speech recognition cycle for many years now, and things have not changed much. Naturally these languages have the advantage of a finely polished speech recognition engine because the have years of data. I believe for the Netherlands they have zero. So by the time cortana is released, its only real valued and functional use will probably be in the realm of these countries. For the Netherlands I truly believe that it will only mean something and make the hype of its value significant enough if all countries are in the mix. Otherwse I truly believe that Cortana Dutch will only be a valued item and where people would actually go for an upgrade to windows 10 becuase of cortana at the end of it life cycle. And that will prbably also be the case for all the other languages currently not supported by cortana.

So if cortana is the powerful feature that wil be known as windows 10, I don't see many Dutch people upgrading to windows 10 or wanting to buy a windows 10 oem pc. I think more people will go either for a windows 8 machine or that even more people will consider sticking to windows 7 and upgrading their hardware and save money for another time.

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not happy about their negligence for small languages either. I had Swedish speech recognition three years ago on my old Xperia Ray, still nothing on WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963