Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey Talderon I don't know if I missed this or if it was already mentioned. But Is the ability for Cortana to open web pages being considered or worked on? For e.g "Cortana open bestbuy.com." I know this would be so awesome especially on my Windows 8 tablet.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey Talderon I don't know if I missed this or if it was already mentioned. But Is the ability for Cortana to open web pages being considered or worked on? For e.g "Cortana open bestbuy.com." I know this would be so awesome especially on my Windows 8 tablet.

You can do this now if you pin the website to your start screen. For example. Go to bestbuy.com and pin it. You can not tell Cortana 'start best buy' and it will launch the webpage. It's not what you're asking but might be a good hack until then.

Last edited:

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]Natural Voice

We are working with Jen to get a LOT more chit-chat things, so keep trying new and old questions to see if you can spot the updates. Cortana's voice will start feeling even more natural over time. A lot of work is going on to refine Cortana's speech.

It'd be great if you could get her to record things like days of the week, months, numbers etc. These are things I use often with calendars, reminders, alarms etc but most of these things are a mixture of Jen's recordings and the robotic voice for the numbers, months etc.

Two phrases I noticed have "chit chat" replies too but it's not Jen's voice:

Try asking "what's your favourite TV show?" and you get a clever answer in a robotic voice. Similarly ask her "what's your favourite colour?" and she says really robotically "I don't think I can choose"

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It'd be great if you could get her to record things like days of the week, months, numbers etc. These are things I use often with calendars, reminders, alarms etc but most of these things are a mixture of Jen's recordings and the robotic voice for the numbers, months etc.

Two phrases I noticed have "chit chat" replies too but it's not Jen's voice:

Try asking "what's your favourite TV show?" and you get a clever answer in a robotic voice. Similarly ask her "what's your favourite colour?" and she says really robotically "I don't think I can choose"

pretty sure all the "Whats your favourite X" like question have the same set of generic responses :)

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
One thing I hope gets fixed soon is not having Cortana's reminders make sound while I am on the phone. That has happened to me a bunch of times and it is very disorienting.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Talderon,

Here is something I ran into today while driving and I would LOVE for Cortana to address. So I was voice chatting with my wife via text with my phone in my pocket, back and forth a few times till Cell signal died out, Cortana tried to connect 2 times then came back on the 3rd try that "the internet and I are not getting along right now" and quit.

Would it be possible (as I am sure everyone deals with this time to time) for in this type of case (trying to voice reply but, no internet at that current point), where she could monitor internet on the phone and come back once internet is available (for 30-45 seconds), then ask "Would you like to continue your last text ?" wait for a yes, and if so, read the last text like you just got it.

I would love to have this option....So my wife does not get mad at me because I didn't reply

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
My biggest issue with Cortana at the moment is how long she takes to respond to me when i'm using 3g mobile data. I'm sure this is just because of my speeds though.

Also, if you say "What's the weather like in Celsius", she sometime says "I converted that temperature to Celsius" or "Here's that temperature in Celsius" which doesn't really make sense in context.

Love what you're doing, keep up the great work!

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got an update for Cortana, it looks like server side, because nothing has been installed on the phone. Now I have the dividers between different blocks of interest, my manually defined stock watchlist has been replaced with the one I have in Bing Finance and Cortana asked me the famous question about what my interests are, which she didn't ask at the beginning! However, when I accepted to do that she came back with the message "I can't get to my questions right now, I'll ask about this later" and so far she has not proposed it again. Anyway, glad to see things moving, well done.

Update: she has asked again just now, about 10 minutes later. However, the result is still the same

Orlok1138

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got an update for Cortana, it looks like server side, because nothing has been installed on the phone. Now I have the dividers between different blocks of interest, my manually defined stock watchlist has been replaced with the one I have in Bing Finance and Cortana asked me the famous question about what my interests are, which she didn't ask at the beginning! However, when I accepted to do that she came back with the message "I can't get to my questions right now, I'll ask about this later" and so far she has not proposed it again. Anyway, glad to see things moving, well done.

Update: she has asked again just now, about 10 minutes later. However, the result is still the same

I dislike the new cloud icon on my live tile, with this "update". Also it added the topics I added in Bing news, to my interests.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Egads... I have been running the internal build for so long that I don't even know what's released and what's not anymore. We're pushing out changes as quickly as we can so keep looking out! Things are happening!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)