Cortana Only Suggests Shell petrol (Gas) Stations?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Cortana Only Suggests Shell petrol (Gas) Stations.

Hey everybody

A few weeks ago, like an *****, I ran out of petrol and needed to find a petrol station. I asked Cortana for the nearest station and Cortana (Sponsored by Shell I'm guessing), was only showing Shell stations, which were not even nearby. Luckily, I walked down the road and saw a BP station. Now I had searched the same thing a few weeks ago with the same result, but thought it might have been a one off on that occasion.

So my question is this: Am I the only person who experiences this and is there a way to change this?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cortana Only Suggests Shell petrol (Gas) Stations.

Hey everybody

A few weeks ago, like an *****, I ran out of petrol and needed to find a petrol station. I asked Cortana for the nearest station and Cortana (Sponsored by Shell I'm guessing), was only showing Shell stations, which were not even nearby. Luckily, I walked down the road and saw a BP station. Now I had searched the same thing a few weeks ago with the same result, but thought it might have been a one off on that occasion.

So my question is this: Am I the only person who experiences this and is there a way to change this?

I'm assuming Cortana pulls it's location data from the maps app which uses map data from Here maps and other data providers

So open the map app and search for petrol stations. If the same behaviour happens, it could be because other stations haven't been added yet. Or it could also mean the other stations have been added to the maps as something else (maybe gas station or something)

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cortana Only Suggests Shell petrol (Gas) Stations.

I would chalk it up to a less expansive POI database in relation to say, Google Maps.

I asked Cortana to show me nearby gas stations.

- Windows 10 PC error'ed out.
- Windows 10 Mobile phone also returned an error.

- Windows Phone 8.1 shows me, sorted by distance:
-- Exxon
-- Sunoco
-- Express Stop
-- Sunoco
-- Sunoco
-- Shell
-- Sunoco
-- Shell
-- Exxon
-- Shell
It does say data from Yelp at the bottom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786