Current Issues with Surface Pro 2

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it much. My Surface Pro 2 was mysteriously and inexplicably performing maintenance for the first several days of ownership, about 4-5 days out of the box. Then, on day 5 or 6, it just stopped. No idea or reason why. I'm hearing lots of others reporting the same. I think it might be something included by Microsoft to optimize it around you and what you do. I'm only guessing here, but I suspect it analyzes and monitors how you use the device for the first several days of use, so it can optimize itself for the best performance and battery life. Again, I'm just guessing here, I have no statements from Microsoft to confirm this.

I also noticed it performing maintenance again for about an hour today. I'll say it one last time, my best guess it's just trying to figure out how you use the device and optimize itself accordingly.

Stinomus

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, or are there updates or windows defender literally EVERY DAY?

Updates do seem to be frequent, though that's the same as on my Windows 8 desktop. I'd certainly prefer this to not getting updates at all.

Also I did have one problem with the network connection dropping constantly but once I was able to update the network driver it has worked perfectly ever since. I'm trying to replace my Windows 8 desktop with this and so far it's looking positive.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Updates do seem to be frequent, though that's the same as on my Windows 8 desktop. I'd certainly prefer this to not getting updates at all.

Also I did have one problem with the network connection dropping constantly but once I was able to update the network driver it has worked perfectly ever since. I'm trying to replace my Windows 8 desktop with this and so far it's looking positive.

Daily updates to Windows Defender is normal. MS updates the virus definitions daily....this is a good thing.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, or are there updates or windows defender literally EVERY DAY?

They're very minor definition updates, it's been like that since Microsoft Security Essentials. Again, very minor updates, hence why it doesn't even bother to notify you of them. You can easily go by weeks without updating them, just update the definitions along side modem major updates.

It's just Microsoft staying on top of things and frequently updating what Windows Defender defines as malicious and what it doesn't. Again, most of the time they're very small definition updates (notice they're usually only a few hundred kilobytes, tiny), if it was a major definition update, Windows Update would notify you (unless your settings are adjusted to not notify you of such matters).

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes exchange all units with issues.
It's not normal you have excess glue, nor a bright pixel on the screen
Most high-end consumer grade IPS monitors like Dell UltraSharp or Professional series, even ASUS PA and PB line screen, just for example, have a 0 stuck and bright pixel policy, because it's the most annoying faulty pixel issue, where people "can't live with it". So I know you'll be annoyed by it. I had this once on a new monitor. Really annoying to see. This is an expensive device, and perfection is what you need to seek. If you still have trouble, it might be best to return, and wait next months for a new batch, and get it a different store.
Great points, but I'm so torn... Return them and I'd have to wait month(s), argh :angry: When in fact I was already looking to buy a 5th SP2 soon as my last family member returns to the country (I usually buy each round of electronics in qty 5 for all family members once, so I can set up everything in one batch).

Just bought the last two LTE iPad Air 128GB units from local Apple Store, but I'm at a cross-road:

Return the SP2's and get the family on new iPads for now (after buying 3 more). The new iPads and their old computers would have to do until improved Surface production batches come around.

Or, stick with the SP2's (and return the 2 iPads I already bought). Because I'd want all family members to give the SP2 a fair shake in trying both the leisure tablet and productivity computer use cases, without distraction. Then if everyone still wants something complementary, we can go for the new iPad Air's or Retina iPad Mini's or whatever by year end...

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Great points, but I'm so torn... Return them and I'd have to wait month(s), argh :angry: When in fact I was already looking to buy a 5th SP2 soon as my last family member returns to the country (I usually buy each round of electronics in qty 5 for all family members once, so I can set up everything in one batch).

Just bought the last two LTE iPad Air 128GB units from local Apple Store, but I'm at a cross-road:

Return the SP2's and get the family on new iPads for now (after buying 3 more). The new iPads and their old computers would have to do until improved Surface production batches come around.

Or, stick with the SP2's (and return the 2 iPads I already bought). Because I'd want all family members to give the SP2 a fair shake in trying both the leisure tablet and productivity computer use cases, without distraction. Then if everyone still wants something complementary, we can go for the new iPad Air's or Retina iPad Mini's or whatever by year end...
This may sound creepy, but I kind of want to join your family.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hahaha, easy for the family members, but bleeding us dry not to mention being so time-consuming for me to do every single thing x5 (or x20, having gotten twenty Roku 3 streamers for everyone's households).

I kinda have OCD so you can imagine it took me a looong time over the years to set up ~800 apps the exact same way on everyone's phones/tablets (same folders and sorting order, but many apps had to be logged in to each person's individual account). Then having to start all over again across ecosystems... Plus the hundreds of Roku channels. And all the desktop PC/Mac programs, grumble grumble...

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I received my Surface Pro 2 yesterday, and so far, it's alright, it will take some time getting used to. I have some issues with it though. First, I honestly hate the trackpad. It is very hard to navigate with it, and very small. I wish it felt more clickable feel like the original type cover. I played black ops 2 with it, and I'm not critiquing that the surface had bad performance, as it isn't meant for gaming (got 30FPS on 1080p though), but I wasn't able to look up or down, but I could left or right. I also had trouble aiming and shooting, and for some reason, it would sometimes shoot and sometimes not. I would have to click in a different area each time to find it, but then I died. Then I would need to find it again, as it changes every time.

Now, some other issues. I noticed some applications, even like iTunes, Java installer, etc, aren't looking nice on my pro 2. It is very pixelated. You can also see some of the icons, like iTunes and quicktime, are very poor quality. I don't know why this is. Also, the pen is alright, but I honestly don't know how to use it. And what is the point of the back of the pen? It was clickable, so I thought when I hover over something with the pen and click it on an icon, like the red X button in desktop ie11, it would be just like clicking, but it didn't do anything. Also another issue. I can't seem to find the pin to start button in weather for a location.

I know some of this issues may sound stupid, and may have ways to fix it, but I don't know why these issues are happening. If you guys have issues with your surface, or just want to help out, please comment in this thread. Also, don't forget to take the poll! By the way, when I mean take the poll, I mean vote that you have issues or not with the surface pro 2, not these exact issues I'm having. Thanks.
View attachment 47716View attachment 47717
have you tried a surface mouse?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I recall seeing this on my desktop when I installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop. But, on my desktop it was only for 1-2 days... then again I have upgraded Windows 8.0 to 8.1, while on my laptop, I formatted it, installed 8.0, did the Windows updates, installed drivers, and then 8.1 immediately after. Then I installed my software.
Both my laptop and desktop have an SSD.

I think it's just Windows 8.x doing self optimization, TRIM (or defrag if you have an HDD), updates, and others things.
Also, maintenance system, is not for Windows only. Third party software can add stuff to do, when it executes.
More info on what is happening: https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The...-Cutting-PC-Power-Moving-PageFile#time=05m26s

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone experience issues with sending files bigger than say 10MB not working using the mail client? I have 3 email accounts, I've tried to send 13-15MB files which were just stuck in outbox with no specific error... just RED "cannot send, standard no code". When I go use the web browser email client, I have no issues sending. Obvious suspect is the outgoing mail server but it should be the same. I'll need to check the incoming/outgoing provider servers. Has anyone else experienced this, 2 of the accounts are Outlook and Hotmail... which I know we all use one or the other. Any feedback is appreciated.

Update: error from email client
Screenshot (6).png

Last edited:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how is this related to the Surface Pro 2.
I tried to send a 15MB file from hotmail to gmail, using the Mail app, and I have no problem beside getting the reject e-mail.
(I don't have a Surface product, just tried on my laptop with Win8.1 64-bit)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't work using mail client on sp2 metro, but using web based email client it works...just guessing its the mail client....just odd.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Weird, but of course, you could always upload it SkyDrive and send the link? To be honest, that's how I send everything these days, makes my life easier (aside from having to explain to people that they don't need a SkyDrive account to view a SkyDrive link or download said link >_<).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Weird, but of course, you could always upload it SkyDrive and send the link? To be honest, that's how I send everything these days, makes my life easier (aside from having to explain to people that they don't need a SkyDrive account to view a SkyDrive link or download said link >_<).

I'll test this out, makes sense...thanks

holsen

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Type Cover 1 & 2 Track Pad Driver Issues

I found a bug with the drivers for the Track Pads on the Type Cover 1 and Type Cover 2. The small trackpad works beautifully [when it works] im using it now and it's perfect. Here's an excerpt from my chat with MS Surface Tech Support 2 days ago:
"I've got a SP 2 and Type Cover 2. The track pad is often unresponsive or slow to scroll and sometime when clicking it brings up weird menus. Yesterday I was in the Microsoft Store in Vancouver and heard that many customers are complaining about the same thing. I thought it was just the fabric material on the Type Cover and wanted to exchange it for Type Cover 1 but they are sold out. Anyway, I bought the Bluetooth Wireless Adapter for Keyboard and hooked it up and the Type Cover 2 works flawlessly with it. Scrolling is fast and fluid, typing is error free. So over the last several hours I have been switching back and forth between using the key board wirelessly and clicking in. Wireless is ALWAYS perfect. Clicked in is ALWAYS troublesome. I don't know if it's a driver issue or a hardware issue. but there is for sure is a problem and I'm not the only one with it. This I'm sure is causing MS Returns of perfectly good Surface pros, because of the trackpad drivers"

After having that chat with Tech Support, I went over to the Microsoft Store in Vancouver. They have an actual MS Engineer working in the Store and I demonstrated the difference in performance between using the Keyboard connected magnetically and connected wirelessly via Bluetooth and we were able to reproduce the problem not only on my Surface but also on the store demo units and with both Cover 1 and Cover 2. The Engineer in the Store agreed that for sure there is driver issue that no one had been aware of. And he took the info channeled it straight up to Engineering at MS Headquarters and assured me they will fix the problem.

I can assure you that the even though the trackpad is small it works beautifully, no scrolling, stuttering or unresponsiveness when connected via bluetooth. Once they get a driver fix rolled out you will see a marked and significant improvement in the performance of the covers. I can't wait, because I don't want to go around having to use the BT adapter - I want to click and go just as the unit was designed to work.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I've had with my type cover 2 is sometimes the mouse from the track pad isn't responsive (pointer not on the screen)...i have to detach and reattach, and all is good. Sounds like a similar issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h