custom alert tones

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Hi brucew17, welcome to WPCentral. :)

All customised ring tones have to be done through the Zune software unless you use an app like the Ringtone Factory.

Currently you can only have customised ringtones and alarms, you can't customize alert tones.

Here's the Zune help page for creating customised ringtones.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fstart%2Fcreate-ringtones.aspx&token=csojagOH

DufusDave

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering purchasing a Windows phone. I have to be on call for work and need to respond to priority trouble tickets during the night. These come thru as SMS text messages. When I get one I need the alert to be loud enough and long enough to wake me up. Are any of the text alerts in Mango sufficient to wake you up? I suppose I could configure my email at work to forward an email to the phone email account. Are the email alert tones loud and long? Thanks in advance for any advice.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Dave,

That's been my only issue with it for the same reasons. On my last Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, I was able to use the alarm tone for my text alerts when I was on call which worked great. I hope Tango will fix this issue.

Scott

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My phone stays on vibrate 99% of the time. So if I had a WP, this wouldn't matter to me. I hate ring tones and notification tones. If you don't constantly change them they get old and annoying, so vibrate works just fine for me.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I absolutely love the WP7 UI, but the little things like this make me miss my Android phone.

It's minor, of course, but I like customizing my text alerts more than my ringtones. I'm dying to use a recording I found of Mass Effect 2's Kelly Chambers saying "Commander, you've received a new message at your private terminal", but I'm not willing to jailbreak the phone over a stupid alert sound.

Currently trying to find a way into the alert sounds folder via PC, but so far all I've made my way into is the media storage folders from Zune. I'm not informed enough on the way phone OSes work to get any further.

Lame.

I used to have that tone, and it got old fast. Especially when someone spam texts you.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
My phone stays on vibrate 99% of the time. So if I had a WP, this wouldn't matter to me. I hate ring tones and notification tones. If you don't constantly change them they get old and annoying, so vibrate works just fine for me.

This...The only time I don't have my phone on vibe is when I'm at home. I, personally, think it is rude to have a phone making noise when at work, out w/friend, etc. And even when I was able to customize tones, I was constantly changing them because they get old pretty quick. It was more trouble than it is worth. BUT, it should be a feature as a lot of people enjoy having custom tones.

kenftl

May 3, 2012
Visit site
My only problem is that there are two of us with the same phone in our house. The alerts are not all that different, so we never know which phone is the one going off! Other than that, I love my HTC Radar.

Question: do they sometimes "fix" a problem like this with a software upgrade?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
OMG I saw a post from THEWEEBEAR and i thought he was back.... just an OLD post.. lol

My only problem is that there are two of us with the same phone in our house. The alerts are not all that different, so we never know which phone is the one going off! Other than that, I love my HTC Radar.

Question: do they sometimes "fix" a problem like this with a software upgrade?

well you guys can have different alters for TXT/CALL

I have Riders of the storm ( the doors) for my calls,

and then well you have 10 different alters from TXT

Expat64

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Loud Text Alerts

Like a couple of others on this thread I am sometimes on call and need to be woken by a text, but the text sounds OOTB are so lame they don't wake me. I have not heard about anything in either 7.8 or 8 that addresses this but would be so happy if somebody could confirm this.

In the mean time, has anybody come up with a creative solution for being woken by a text?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
WP8 is supposed to allow this, and although the SDK preview doesn't explicitly show it, I'm sure it's because there's no files that meet the requirements (ALERT genre, I'm guessing).

That said, even with nice options, I still want my "Bazinga!" alert back for text messages.

Mark Szymanski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i can't believe that you can't do custom notification and alarm tones, even with mango. i don't mean to come on here and complain, but i'm curious to see how many others are as bothered by this as i am. to be sure, i'm not all that mad that i can't do a custom tone. having to use a built in tone instead of my zelda "found secret" sound that i used on android isn't the end of the world (although the zelda sound was awesome). i just can't believe that microsoft missed the boat by not fixing this. to me, it's kind of weird that they didn't have custom ringtones, notification, and alarm sounds on the original OS release, but the fact that they did add custom ringtones, but didn't fix notifications and alarms, is shocking. it makes me wonder about the thoroughness of their feedback and testing process. it's like they're not even paying attention to what they're doing. i don't know how they plan on gaining market share if they can't even figure out some of the simple stuff.

ok, i'm off my soapbox now. but does this bother anyone else, or is it just me?
Wow, I completely agree. It's amazing we still don't have the ability to add a custom SMS alert tone and/or be able to get notified over and over again if you don't open a SMS text message.

I am a tech support person and when I get paged (SMS text) I need to hear that alert and have it continue to replay periodically until I open it. If I could at least customize the alert I could add some load annoying and long playing alert but that still does not seem to be an option. PLEASE give us the ability to add custom SMS text alerts or give us an application that will replay alerts if not opened. :mad:

Expat64

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Right there with you Mark. When I am on call I need to set a loud SMS alert to wake me, and it would be nice to be able to set it to the paging service. I had to get my work to buy me an Anroid *just* for when I am on call as that allows SMS alert changes (native and through third party apps).

I also second the comments earlier about several of my friends also having WP8s so it gets confusing when one of us gets a text.

I tried changing the genre to ALERT as suggested, but no luck. It trully does blow me away that this is apparently missing and would love to hear from somebody on reasoning behind that, or any tips on getting it to work as I would *love* to be able to move back to one phone when on call.

DarkSdr

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if there is. I have been looking around for a while. I am very annoyed with the current tones. I should be able to make any sound a notification and not be hemmed into some cheezy annoying sounds. I might not be as angry if the 3rd party Nokia had added some more.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there is a 3rd party company willing to do this, but they need help from Nokia or Microsoft to get native access to do it. @SituationsApp on Symbian can do all kinds of stuff we only dream about on Windows Phone. Petition them on Twitter and also petition @Chrisweberatnokia to respond.

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
i can't believe that you can't do custom notification and alarm tones, even with mango. i don't mean to come on here and complain, but i'm curious to see how many others are as bothered by this as i am. to be sure, i'm not all that mad that i can't do a custom tone. having to use a built in tone instead of my zelda "found secret" sound that i used on android isn't the end of the world (although the zelda sound was awesome). i just can't believe that microsoft missed the boat by not fixing this. to me, it's kind of weird that they didn't have custom ringtones, notification, and alarm sounds on the original OS release, but the fact that they did add custom ringtones, but didn't fix notifications and alarms, is shocking. it makes me wonder about the thoroughness of their feedback and testing process. it's like they're not even paying attention to what they're doing. i don't know how they plan on gaining market share if they can't even figure out some of the simple stuff.

ok, i'm off my soapbox now. but does this bother anyone else, or is it just me?

custom email notification tone = no
custom messaging notification tone = no
BUT you CAN make custom alarm tones. just save the tone you want as alarm in ringtone form and select that as alarm tone from alarms settings. used this in 7.5 and using this on 7.8 now

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte