Custom camera settings

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I went to Disneyland recently and tried to take a lot of pictures while on the rides. Most of them turned out blurry. My settings were auto with flash off. Anyone know which custom settings would work best for this situation? Flash must be off and rides are usually dark

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The problem word here is "dark". Since flash has to be turned off, in a normal camera there are three ways (and a combination of these three) to handle this:
1. increase ISO;
2. decrease shutter speed;
3. decrease aperture value (increase aperture opening).

However, if you're referring to a Windows Phone (or most of the other phones), it would have a fixed aperture - that crosses #3 out.

You can try #1, but you can only go so high until your photos start becoming noisy or grainy*. In addition to this, you could decrease the shutter speed, but that will result in blurry images (especially if you go below 1/125) - the root of your concern.

These are limitations of the device, and nothing else can be done about it in the device except these three.

*- You can try using noise removal software later on, but you will lose some of the details in your image. Or, if your photos are a bit dark (as a result of low ISO and/or faster shutter speed), you may try to adjust their brightness later (using an app or in your PC).

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!! I tried to fiddle with the ISO and shutter speed while I was waiting in line, but nothing came out right. I guess I'll just have to play around some more

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...Disneyland... tried to take a lot of pictures... on the rides... blurry... Flash must be off... rides are usually dark...

Dark + motion + no flash. Long exposure times and lots of shake. It's no wonder the pics are less than acceptable

Try shooting video and see if you can get some screen shots from that. Simply review the video in full screen with hidden controls and when you get to the best parts press Volume Up + Power to screen shot. They will be at the resolution of your screen, but may be more usable.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Dark + motion + no flash. Long exposure times and lots of shake. It's no wonder the pics are less than acceptable

Try shooting video and see if you can get some screen shots from that. Simply review the video in full screen with hidden controls and when you get to the best parts press Volume Up + Power to screen shot. They will be at the resolution of your screen, but may be more usable.

Ah so simple and yet I forgot! That's a great idea for next time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3