Custom HOSTS file.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
First off, this site's search is ridiculous. Searching a word comes with tons of random threads that have nothing to do with it, IE "Hosts". And this isn't my first forum so please don't insult me with instructions on how to use the seach.

Ok, end of rant on that.

Now has anyone figured out how to edit the HOSTS file in W10M yet? I can't find anything yet except for outdated tricks that don't work anymore, like using the properties box.

I have a whole whack of malicious sites I'd like blocked.

Thanks!
XT

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not aware how on w10m, but can you use the dns features of your router? this has the benefit of blocking the desired sites for everything on your network.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not aware how on w10m, but can you use the dns features of your router? this has the benefit of blocking the desired sites for everything on your network.

I probably could, but that only helps when I'm at home. And in that case, I'm using my laptop anyways.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
First off, this site's search is ridiculous. Searching a word comes with tons of random threads that have nothing to do with it, IE "Hosts". And this isn't my first forum so please don't insult me with instructions on how to use the seach.

Ok, end of rant on that.

Now has anyone figured out how to edit the HOSTS file in W10M yet? I can't find anything yet except for outdated tricks that don't work anymore, like using the properties box.

I have a whole whack of malicious sites I'd like blocked.

Thanks!
XT

As of right now, there currently is no reliable and easy way to use a custom HOSTS file on Windows 10 Mobile. And for good reason, to benefit MS and ad market as a whole. Or at least to prevent ad revenue loss. Out best hope right now is hope adblocker and ublock origin extension come on mobile Edge. Or MS, in their infinite wisdom, decides to allow custom HOSTS files and built-in adblocker that we can manage and customize.

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
X Toro,

If you have an interop-unlocked phone, you can edit HOSTS file after activating full fs access, or by using Ad blocking XAP file which is available on xda forums.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
^ As this guy said, you can find it on XDA. I've seen it there, however I'm not 100% sure it works since I haven't tried it, but it probably does.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
As of right now, there currently is no reliable and easy way to use a custom HOSTS file on Windows 10 Mobile. And for good reason, to benefit MS and ad market as a whole. Or at least to prevent ad revenue loss. Out best hope right now is hope adblocker and ublock origin extension come on mobile Edge. Or MS, in their infinite wisdom, decides to allow custom HOSTS files and built-in adblocker that we can manage and customize.

Yeah I don't particularly care what MS thinks about why I want to edit the HOSTS file. If I want to block ads, I'll find a way, somehow. It's my product that I purchased, and my internet connection. If I want to block ads, I will. I guess I just have to wait for it to be cracked...

X Toro,

If you have an interop-unlocked phone, you can edit HOSTS file after activating full fs access, or by using Ad blocking XAP file which is available on xda forums.

This doesn't work on newer phones since the 950, and my 650 is the latest model, so this doesn't work for me. MS "fixed" those holes.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I tried this as well when I first heard it months ago. Does not work on my 950XL. It believe it's for Win Phone 8.1 and older. Or just older phones in general.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
To the ones who say it doesn't work in x50 phones, do you speak specifically about the hosts file? Because the interop unlock is achieved differently with this phones but it can definitely be done. I have interop unlock and full file system access, though I haven' tried to edit the hosts file.

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
WP Internals 2.3 has landed! I plan on hooking it up tonight.

Is the HOSTS file in the same file location as it is with other versions of Windows?
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster