Danger of over charging?

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
well i got the 520 for a few months now,i always charge it at night while im sleeping,in the morning when i wake up the battery is full and device is cold-if the device was hot it would be a clue of overcharging,so nothing to worry about. :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
well i got the 520 for a few months now,i always charge it at night while im sleeping,in the morning when i wake up the battery is full and device is cold-if the device was hot it would be a clue of overcharging,so nothing to worry about. :)

^^ What he said

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Overcharging can lead to a state where your phone does not run. Then, simply not charging for 24 hours usually fixes the problem. I have observed this issue on devices left on their charger for 2-3 days.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm an electrical engineering major in school so I can explain this. LiON batteries and LiPO batteries have charging circuits that prevent them from being overcharged AND drained (as in, the phone will leave some charge left in the battery when it is so low that the phone turns off as to not damage the battery). Overcharging does not hurt the battery in the sense that you are putting too much current and voltage into it as much as the phone will keep charging the battery over and over again. What that means is that the phone will charge the battery to 100%, the battery will naturally discharge over time, whether the phone is on or not, and lets say the manufactures have it set to charge the battery when it gets to 90% capacity again, and then it will start charging again. So basically, when you have your phone constantly plugged in, it will charge and discharge and repeat this over and over again if its full. This will eventually kill the battery life as LiON batteries have a certain amount of charge cycles in their lifetime. The average LiON battery will usually last about 1-1/2 to 2 years in general. Unfortunately, battery technology is the limiting factor in all mobile devices and its the one technology that has not advanced anywhere as fast as other technologies. I mean, the last breakthrough was LiON and that was in the 90's. WE NEED NEW BATTERY TECHNOLOGIES!!!!!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You really can't 'overcharge' your phone because the battery knows when it reaches 100%. It automatically stops charging once it gets there.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Overcharging can lead to a state where your phone does not run. Then, simply not charging for 24 hours usually fixes the problem. I have observed this issue on devices left on their charger for 2-3 days.

Never seen nor heard of this happening. And from an engineering perspective it make no sense. So either you're imagining it, you're listening to too much internet gossip, or what you've observed has a different underlying cause. What physical mechanism is at work that can cause a Li-Ion battery to overcharge to the point to which the phone 'won't run'?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If I charge over 100%, what happens? Is this safe or dangerous if it happens often?

the phone would self destruct releasing very dangerous levels of radiation (batterys are radio active so they store a small amount of nuclear power but when the battery cells get too much energy they expand and become unstable thus intensifying the radiation) the radiation would cover between 800 to 1400 miles, if you spend longer that 13 minutes in this radiation you and everyone, everything in the specified radius WILL DIE. eventually the nano microactive particles will merge with high atmospheric low pressure and will be forced out of the earths atmosphere, but this is not good as the Subtomical radiation of the sun will draw the nano microactive particles. when these particals get close enough to the sun, then they will absorb the suns Subtomical radiation creating an area with very high pressure turning the nano microactive particals into what we call ultraveric matter which will be absorbed buy the sun thus changing the Microferic composition of the sun, the suns energy will crothenthisize forcing the sun to become super nova (this will create a black whole destroying all life in our solar system, yes earth will be destroyed as it will become nothing more than space dust. the estimated time for all this to happen is about 3-9 months since you overcharged. depending on the atmospheric pressure.

Na just kidding Lad... ignore all the junk I wrote, its all bogus, you have nothing to worry about
:smile:

I had you worried there, didn't I ? :grin:

Sorry I couldn't resist. :winktongue:

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Which is why I hate sealed batteries. If I have a phone I want to keep for several years, the average consumer needs to have it sent off to get it worked on once holding a charge becomes a problem. Most will just get a new phone.

Just evil. Good business model, but evil.

I still have a Nokia E71 knocking about from about 5 years ago. Still works perfectly. Batteries last for much longer that you might think. You can charge them many thousands of times.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
the phone would self destruct releasing very dangerous levels of radiation (batterys are radio active so they store a small amount of nuclear power but when the battery cells get too much energy they expand and become unstable thus intensifying the radiation) the radiation would cover between 800 to 1400 miles, if you spend longer that 13 minutes in this radiation you and everyone, everything in the specified radius WILL DIE. eventually the nano microactive particles will merge with high atmospheric low pressure and will be forced out of the earths atmosphere, but this is not good as the Subtomical radiation of the sun will draw the nano microactive particles. when these particals get close enough to the sun, then they will absorb the suns Subtomical radiation creating an area with very high pressure turning the nano microactive particals into what we call ultraveric matter which will be absorbed buy the sun thus changing the Microferic composition of the sun, the suns energy will crothenthisize forcing the sun to become super nova (this will create a black whole destroying all life in our solar system, yes earth will be destroyed as it will become nothing more than space dust. the estimated time for all this to happen is about 3-9 months since you overcharged. depending on the atmospheric pressure.

Na just kidding Lad... ignore all the junk I wrote, its all bogus, you have nothing to worry about
:smile:

I had you worried there, didn't I ? :D

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

LOL you're a sick puppy! I like you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm an electrical engineering major in school so I can explain this. LiON batteries and LiPO batteries have charging circuits that prevent them from being overcharged AND drained (as in, the phone will leave some charge left in the battery when it is so low that the phone turns off as to not damage the battery). Overcharging does not hurt the battery in the sense that you are putting too much current and voltage into it as much as the phone will keep charging the battery over and over again. What that means is that the phone will charge the battery to 100%, the battery will naturally discharge over time, whether the phone is on or not, and lets say the manufactures have it set to charge the battery when it gets to 90% capacity again, and then it will start charging again. So basically, when you have your phone constantly plugged in, it will charge and discharge and repeat this over and over again if its full. This will eventually kill the battery life as LiON batteries have a certain amount of charge cycles in their lifetime. The average LiON battery will usually last about 1-1/2 to 2 years in general. Unfortunately, battery technology is the limiting factor in all mobile devices and its the one technology that has not advanced anywhere as fast as other technologies. I mean, the last breakthrough was LiON and that was in the 90's. WE NEED NEW BATTERY TECHNOLOGIES!!!!!

Would you know if AA batteries would work in a phone ?

Eg one normal size phone battery (1600 mah -2000 mah) would fit 4 AA batteries at 2600mah each, total equals 2600*4= 10400mah. But what's wrong with doing this as I see no manufactures are doing this. Do you think it would work or not ?...I know a little bit about batteries but I'm no electric engineer.

Oh and there is a proto type cellphone that does not run on battery, it currently can only send numbers as text messages but it shows the direction batteries are going. The phone is powered by the radio beams the cell towers provide.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254