Darn it! We can no longer leave the insider program until the next stable build!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Apparently I didn't get the memo..

MS recently changed their Insider policy: previously you could install e.g. a fast ring build, then hit 'stop receiving insider builds', reboot, and disable feedback and diagnostics. This is no longer possible. Now you can 'pause' the insider program for up to a week, but you can't get out of the insider program, and therefore you can't disable Full Diagnostics.

I understand their logic: they want quality feedback and diagnostics to see what is going wrong on people's phones. Personally I just want to see new features and update to a possibly less buggy build, and I don't like sending MS the content of my emails and whatsapp chats. These things DO get sent along with some diagnostics reports (see here). Quote: "...which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were using when a problem occurred". That page also says this: "We share this data with vendors or agents working on our behalf". So your personal data gets spread across the internet when you're in the Insider Program.

So I guess me and my tinfoil hat don't belong in the Insider Program, but now that I know this it's going to be a long wait until my current Slow Build converts to a stable build, unless I restore to the previous stable build. What a pain!

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You have to click the small link below the dropdown (with the number of days) to be removed entirely. Note that this link will only work if you're running a released version (Anniversary Update/Redstone 1/Build 14393).
If you're on a preview build, and the previous version has not been uninstalled yet (10 days after upgrading), you can go back to the last version (if you were running a released version before). Otherwise, there is no way to downgrade, so you would need to reinstall Windows. You can do this here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=JfVUTfIT

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You have to click the small link below the dropdown (with the number of days) to be removed entirely. Note that this link will only work if you're running a released version (Anniversary Update/Redstone 1/Build 14393).
If you're on a preview build, and the previous version has not been uninstalled yet (10 days after upgrading), you can go back to the last version (if you were running a released version before).
That sounds like you're talking about Win10 desktop. I'm talking about Win 10 mobile, where the link to stop receiving updates brings up a page that says "wait for the next stable build".

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like you're talking about Win10 desktop. I'm talking about Win 10 mobile, where the link to stop receiving updates brings up a page that says "wait for the next stable build".

Ooh... sorry. Didn't realize this was the mobile section. Yeah, no option to rollback to last build on mobile (at least not that I'm aware of). I don't think they have an easy way to downgrade. On desktop it just leaves the previous build installed (fully intact, I think, it just moves it to a folder), so rolling back is really easy (since a downgrade is apparently not possible), but mobile likely doesn't keep it.
I guess the only option is to re-flash with WDRT (equivalent to using the media creation tool on desktop) or just wait. Would be nice if they had some sort of way to downgrade back to released builds, that way you could get out mid-preview without needing to start fresh. I imagine it's technically possible, probably just not a priority. Maybe send feedback in the Feedback Hub? That's about all else you could probably do.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess the only option is to re-flash with WDRT.
Exactly. The thing is they changed their policy on this. I joined the insider program expecting that I could disable Full Diagnostics, but we no longer can. Unless I missed an article on this, this change was not announced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05