Debranded and MUCH better signal!

immortalmatt

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have debranded my UK O2 Nokia 1520 earlier and am noticing MUCH better signal. Before it was either on G (gprs) or H (hsdpa), now I see 3G or 3G+ a lot where I used to see G and H a lot more too.

Any ideas why?

Matt

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have debranded my UK O2 Nokia 1520 earlier and am noticing MUCH better signal. Before it was either on G (gprs) or H (hsdpa), now I see 3G or 3G+ a lot where I used to see G and H a lot more too.

Not sure I've heard the term "debranded" before. You mean you flashed unbranded firmware to it?

I'd guess you are still getting the same signals it is just classified different by your new firmware.

immortalmatt

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I flashed non branded firmware. Its definitely better. Normally at work I get G constantly and cant Skype or surf the net as its so slow. Yesterday after the new firmware I got 3g+ and 2 to 3 bars and was able to do a Skype call. Something has changed. I wonder if O2 tamper with the way signal is processed?

immortalmatt

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
G - basic GPRS (upto 56kbps)
3G - basic 3G speeds (upto 2Mb/s)
H - HSDPA, higher speed upto 3.6Mb/s
H+ - HSDPA plus, even higher speeds upto to 7.2Mbs

jabels57

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Its just I've never seen the 3G symbol (O2 UK) and 3G is just the name given to the 3rd generation phone connection.

But back to the original question, in the past I've always had non-branded phones untill i got the lumia 920 and haven't noticed any network speed difference. Could be down to new network infrastructure with the big companies saying their investing in updating their systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786