Deleted emails are sent to the "Deleted Items" folder instead of the Trash folder. Why?!

SimplyShane

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I access my Gmail inbox via the built-in Mail app on my Lumia 520, I have noticed that my emails are not *truly* being removed when I select the "delete" option.

Instead, they are immediately sent into an auto-created "Deleted Items" folder, which is incredibly annoying. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'd rather have the messages go straight into the Trash, which is exactly how it works via my internet browser. There is honestly no need for this "Deleted Items" folder...

(Btw, hello guys. This is my first post here at wpcentral. :cool:)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Deleted emails are sent to the "Deleted Items" folder instead of the Trash folder. Why?!

When I access my Gmail inbox via the built-in Mail app on my Lumia 520, I have noticed that my emails are not *truly* being removed when I select the "delete" option.

Instead, they are immediately sent into an auto-created "Deleted Items" folder, which is incredibly annoying. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'd rather have the messages go straight into the Trash, which is exactly how it works via my internet browser. There is honestly no need for this "Deleted Items" folder...

(Btw, hello guys. This is my first post here at wpcentral. :cool:)

Hello and welcome!

I do not think it is an issue about the phone or email, but an issue about permission levels.

When you are using 3rd Party Software to access your email (so making a connection not directly through a browser) I do not think the phone has access to those specific folders... My Yahoo account does the same thing.

I do not think Windows Phone has the permission to send something straight to the trash...EITHER THAT...or it is a feature, not a bug, haha.

In any case, it has ALWAYS done it, since WP7, so it won't be changing any time soon. When you set it up to save your sent emails it also saves them in an automatically created "Sent Email" folder instead of Yahoo's "Sent" folder.

SimplyShane

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Deleted emails are sent to the "Deleted Items" folder instead of the Trash folder. Why?!

Strange. My old Android phone had no problem with this at all. Items went straight to the trash without incident.
Granted, there's much closer integration with Gmail there by default, but still, this is pretty annoying.
I wish there was a way around this. :unhappy:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Strange. My old Android phone had no problem with this at all. Items went straight to the trash without incident.
Granted, there's much closer integration with Gmail there by default, but still, this is pretty annoying.
I wish there was a way around this. :unhappy:

And that was kind of my point.

WP to Gmail is a 3rd party connection
WP to Yahoo is 3rd party

WP to Outlook, the emails go straight to the trash folder
Android to Gmail, the emails go straight to the trash folder

So, there IS a way around it. Switch to Outlook. I just keep "Select All - Delete" until I finally break down and ditch Yahoo.

JTon

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

BB10 had no problem sending emails deleted on my device to the trash. I don't think it's an issue with 3rd party permissions. Btw, I'm here because I own a WP and I'd like to solve this issue. Has anyone had any luck?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The issue is at Google's back end. It has been this way back when ActiveSync was available as well. Only Google's own app has native Gmail handling.

Edit: go to your Gmail settings page on a browser. On the IMAP access page, you have the options to for deleted message as following:
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
  • Archive the message (default)
  • Move the message to the Trash
  • Immediately delete the message forever

However, for me, the options are disabled. But this just shows you that the behavior is controlled by Gmail server, not WP apps.

Last edited:

DrSARANG MALI

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi , I have accidently deleted " DELETE" folder from Gmail account on laptop. But now after soft reset n hard reset it's not showing in Gmail's App on windows phone as well as on my laptop. Those deleted mails can't be seen in trash folder as well. So in case if I want to recover those deleted mails, I couldn't. So how n where to find those deleted mails or how to recover DELETE folder in gmail app.
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99