Dell 7275, XPS 12 or Surface

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So I'm tired of the limitations in using an iPad with iOS. I want something that I can actually get something done on and have a full version of Office, the ability to insert a SD/Micro SD card with out a dongle/adapter and full version of photo app (Elements).

I don't need something with top of the line specs. I have a MacBook Pro that I can get anything done on with ease. I'm looking for a complement.

I'm considering a Dell 7275, XPS 12 (Tablet) and Surface. I can get a refurbished Latitude 7275 from Dell with 8GB of RAM, 4K screen, 256GB and Keyboard for around $700. I have had amazing luck with Refurbished Dells. I also found some XPS 12 with similar specs for about the same price and then there is the entry level surface. All use a form of Intel M processor.

What would anyone recommend? Is there another Windows 10 tablet I should consider? The surface is probably the most expensive option with no keyboard while the other two have a keyboard. I could save money with a refurbished surface from microsoft which would put the surface in the same range in terms of price but not as nice specs with only 128GB storage, 4GB Ram and only m3 where the others are m5/m7. Would there be much difference in performance with 4GB compared to 8GB and m3 versus m5/m7?

Thanks for your help.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Surface line will always do you well. It'll be reliable, stable, and flexible. You'll only notice a difference with the RAM if you intend to do any serious work on the tablet that requires several heavy applications being open at once. It never hurts to have more RAM and 8GB is arguably the safest amount of RAM you can have at your hands, but I believe you'd be able to survive just fine with the Core m3/4GB RAM model. But the real question is, will you use the Pen? If you don't plan on using the Surface Pen, there may be better options for your money. The Dell XPS 12 is a decent option but honestly I think you'd be overpaying for that.

You should look at HP's option (the x2? There's lots of models. The Spectre x2 is their new consumer option that is extremely promising) as well as Huawei's and Samsung's. Both Huawei and Samsung go for a more tablet focused device. I honestly think Huawei does a much better job at it. Samsung just can't stand toe-to-toe with the Surface unless you want that AMOLED display.

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
what exactly do you want a windows tablet for? as a pure tablet experience, you really can't beat an iPad, unless you are looking for pen input for full scale apps. if this is the case, stay away from m series processors and anything lower then 8g ram. and since you have an apple laptop as well, consider how deep you are into Apple's ecosystem. will your work flow be affected greatly by switching to windows 10? obviously office will work fine, but other apps may not have a windows equivalent. that said, coming from those devices, I would really recommend the purest experience possible, which would come from the SP4.

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks you for response. I'm not looking for a pure tablet experience as I can't really stand the mobile operating systems that are one them. It's all to limited for me. For me the pen would be a purchase that would happen day one with any windows tablet. I'm not deep in the Apple ecosystem at all. I have a MacBook but besides iTunes I don't use anything else from Apple. I use nothing but Office and one drive from Microsoft. I use gmail and android, so moving away from the iPad would not be of any issue.

I will take a better look at the Surface offerings. Thanks.

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My initial plan is to use the pen, but honestly until I start to work it into my daily use, I' still not sure how much I would end up using it. I like the Samsung offering but the new ones feel a little over priced considering that a surface in my opinion is better. There is the option of the older Samsung Tab Pro which I could get for a very good price. I never considered anything from HP, I'll take a look at those. Thanks for responding.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
My initial plan is to use the pen, but honestly until I start to work it into my daily use, I' still not sure how much I would end up using it. I like the Samsung offering but the new ones feel a little over priced considering that a surface in my opinion is better. There is the option of the older Samsung Tab Pro which I could get for a very good price. I never considered anything from HP, I'll take a look at those. Thanks for responding.

Sounds like a Surface Pro might be a great device for you. It's very well rounded and the pen experience is unbeatable. The only other device I can think of that really does do everything the Surface does with equal quality is the HP devices I was talking about. The Huawei Matebook (the new one has the E moniker) is a great tablet but it's not nearly as good at being a laptop. The Samsung devices have a great screen and good pen support but I believe the Matebook does a better job at being a Windows tablet and the Surface does a much better job at being a laptop. I've never liked the keyboards for the Samsung tablets.
I suggest going to a Best Buy or other retail store near you and playing with a Surface, and see what you think. My Best Buy has those Samsung tablets on display too so you could play with those. The XPS 12 was there as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077