Dell Inspiron 16 Plus (7630) review: A creator's dream with a sizeable 120Hz display and RTX 4060 graphics

archimedis

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
Your review is semi-nonsensical sorry to say. I own one of these. Sure, it's fast and powerful (but so is any 2023 laptop at a similar price point). But it has serious drawbacks which your review does not cover. Buyer beware.

It is essential for a proper laptop review to cover, in detail, the keyboard, trackpad, port positioning and general ergonomic and usability factors. Those are the most important differentiating factors between different laptop models - apart from that laptops of similar generations and prices generally all have similar internal hardware (CPUs, RAM, hard-drive), the buyer can even customise some of these at the time of purchase, choosing from a range of CPUs and GPUs. Extra RAM or a larger SSD can be added later. The one thing which cannot be changed is the keyboard, trackpad and overall case layout.

Unfortunately this Dell Inspiron model has a dreadful keyboard, which commits every sin in the book:
* cursor keys not in a proper inverted-T layout
* up-down cursor keys half sized
* no separate PgUp and PgDn keys
* Home/End keys double up as function keys
* too shallow key travel
* keys too small and closely packed for masculine fingers
* too small Enter key
* Caps Lock and left Shift key weirdly wide, pushing the whole keyboard over to the right of center

It makes no sense that Dell chose to use such a tiny keyboard on a 16-inch laptop. As it is, the laptop is *useless* for any kind of professional work, without buying a separate external keyboard which is cumbersome and annoying and not practical on a flight for example. I can't use a laptop for work if I can't touch-type on it at my normal speed.

The trackpad is equally unusable. Because it has one continuous surface with no separate buttons, it's not possible to click on it without the mouse moving at the same time. It's also not centered on the keyboard, it's to the right of the space bar and the keyboard center G-H keys: not great for right-handed people. Looks good in product photos, works terrible in the real world.

The USB, Thunderbolt and headphones ports are in annoying places on the side of the laptop, far too near the front, so that cables stick out of the side like warts. They should be closer to the rear. The screen hinge is also weird, essentially with the screen open it forms a third foot for the laptop to stand on, so that the keyboard tilts, feels like long-term this risks something breaking because the screen is load-bearing.

Essentially, then, this laptop might as well be a tablet. Relegated to video and gaming use (which it's great for).

A competent review should have picked up all these points.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria