Dell Venue pro 11 upgrade question

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Thank you Scienceguy Labs
I have gone to Settings and then Network.
On the right hand column are the following :

Status
Wifi
Dialup
VPN
Airplane Mode
Mobile Hotspot
Data usage
Proxy

There's no mention of cellular so I guess either no mobile broadband adapter is installed or even worse not even a slot to install one.

I Just checked and discovered on this model sometimes there is a sim slot right next to the micro sd slot under a cover on the side of the tablet (next to the power button ) : In my model the sim slot isnt present - blanked out.

I did manage to connect to the internet just now trying a 4g mobile hotspot dongle with a sim data card installed (actually my sim card from the mobile phone that has 4gb per month of data.

UPDATE
I downloaded a gps app and turned off the WiFi and it seemed to be able to tell my location. I'm not sure if that indicates GPS is present. Will check out more later

I am going to delete previous versions of windows and save 30gb space

I have been to the Dell Website and updated the firmware just now. the latest version believe it or not was released today! 21 September 2018

In the BIOS the service tag is found 8Z53T22
Express service code: 19539150554

To enter BIOS once the Dell logo shows one has to hold down the volume up button until bios is entered

I have been to the Dell Website and downloaded the Dell System diagnostics and it found no issues. it is called SupportAssist

I have been to the Dell Website and it detected which drivers could be updated - there were 6 which it updated and installed.

A couple of nights ago (the first night I got the tablet) I did windows update and it installed the April 2018 build of Windows 10.

Sorry for boring you with all this. But its nice to have everything really up to date also to start to get to know the device etc.

Thank you
Ian

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Scienceguy Labs
I have gone to Settings and then Network.
On the right hand column are the following :

Status
Wifi
Dialup
VPN
Airplane Mode
Mobile Hotspot
Data usage
Proxy

There's no mention of cellular so I guess either no mobile broadband adapter is installed or even worse not even a slot to install one.

I Just checked and discovered on this model sometimes there is a sim slot right next to the micro sd slot under a cover on the side of the tablet (next to the power button ) : In my model the sim slot isnt present - blanked out.

I did manage to connect to the internet just now trying a 4g mobile hotspot dongle with a sim data card installed (actually my sim card from the mobile phone that has 4gb per month of data.

UPDATE
I downloaded a gps app and turned off the WiFi and it seemed to be able to tell my location. I'm not sure if that indicates GPS is present. Will check out more later

I am going to delete previous versions of windows and save 30gb space

I have been to the Dell Website and updated the firmware just now. the latest version believe it or not was released today! 21 September 2018

In the BIOS the service tag is found 8Z53T22
Express service code: 19539150554

To enter BIOS once the Dell logo shows one has to hold down the volume up button until bios is entered

I have been to the Dell Website and downloaded the Dell System diagnostics and it found no issues. it is called SupportAssist

I have been to the Dell Website and it detected which drivers could be updated - there were 6 which it updated and installed.

A couple of nights ago (the first night I got the tablet) I did windows update and it installed the April 2018 build of Windows 10.

Sorry for boring you with all this. But its nice to have everything really up to date also to start to get to know the device etc.

Thank you
Ian
That's great, Ian.
I'm glad you have everything figured out.
Sorry that you didn't have a sim card slot though. Sounds like you got it figured out with the use of the dongle. Have you tried using your phone as a mobile hotspot instead of the dongle?

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Dear ScienceGuy Labs
Thanks for your kind comments.
I also saw the Service Tag is printed on the side of the tablet.
Yes, it seems that although some models of the 7140 are WiFi / 4g , mine is Wifi only. Not to worry.
I haven't tried the phone as a hotspot (Nokia Lumia 735) although there is an app I downloaded. To be honest, that sounds like a great solution.
There is a local auction online next week with some accessories for the Dell Venue Pro 11 7140, some second hand going quite cheap, so I just may be able to pick up a docking station and mobile keyboard on Wednesday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05