Difference between slow and fast rings

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is what I understand about the two rings:

In fast ring you get the latest updates for the OS but there are a number of bugs. It's the latest version

In slow ring, you get the updates later when they are deemed stable for the majority of insiders.

My question is, for example, 10586.63 is for fast ring. 10586.29 is for slow ring.

Is this 10586.29 the same build that the fast ring insiders tested before it got released to slow ring? Or is it released to slow ring after it has been checked by fast ring insiders and bugs ironed out and then released to slow ring?

I don't now if I make sense here

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Builds that are released on the fast ring are transferred to the slow ring when they're judged to be stable enough.

The numbers being the same means that they're exactly the same software.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Builds that are released on the fast ring are transferred to the slow ring when they're judged to be stable enough.

The numbers being the same means that they're exactly the same software.

so when the build is released to slow ring, the bugs aren't ironed out

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I may be wrong here, but my understanding was fast ring gets the bleeding edge updates. If those don't contain any catastrophic issues, then the update gets sent to the slow ring. However, not all fast ring releases will make it to the slow ring because there could be major issues that popped up that need to be addressed. So once those are taken care of, and the new update has passed muster on fast ring, then that is the one that will be pushed to the slow ring testers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny