Do I have to buy the license for Windows 10 if I bought it for Windows 7?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 upgrade and new computer components

Hi there!

I have been planning on upgrading some of my computers components for some time. Now that Windows 7 is offering the upgrade to Win10 I think it's time but first I have to get a clarification on one thing.

So, I have a licensed Windows 7 on my computer now and if I upgrade, let's say my hard drive, I have to buy a new license (right...?). Will this be the case for Windows 10 also? Also as a follow up: what happens if I reserve the Windows 10 upgrade and before installing the OS, I change my computers components (hard drive etc.)?

I'm just trying to save some of my summer job money and since I am a student, I don't have a lot of extra money to be thrown around.

Thanks in advance!

cabsco

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 upgrade and new computer components

Changing Hard Drives does not necessary affect or temper with Windows 10 update as long as your system meets the minimum requirement. You can check Microsoft official website to view minimum requirement of installing Windows 10.

From there you'll know the specific component you can swap on your system without hindering your reserved Windows 10 update. Cheers!

Roland Schlangen

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site

Installing a new harddrive will not de-activate your license. If you swap the motherboard or your processer then it does. But in case you have a de-activated license you can always activate it again by the phone activation procedure.
This also applies for your second question.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

You can transfer your license to new hardware, anyways, as long as you have a retail copy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Coskindo

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the responses.

I should have been more clear about my plans. I am thinking about getting a new processor, an SSD hard drive and maybe a new motherboard (if i absolutely have to).

Installing a new harddrive will not de-activate your license.
My older Win7 license actually did deactivate after getting a second HDD hard drive. Then again, that was an OEM license...

So here's what I'll do. I'll reserve the upgrade, install Win10 and after making sure I'm all set, I'll change the components. I sure hope this works. Thanks again for the replies!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel