Do I need security software for Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

what about security software for windows 10

for windows 10 do I need to install security software or is there one built-in

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: what about security software for windows 10

It really depends on your level of risk. I've always used the standard Microsoft software and haven't had any viruses since I got one on a floppy disk almost 30 years ago.

Everyone responding to this thread will recommend their choice of product without knowing what your safe computing habits are. Everyone will have a different suggestion.

As with going out for a bike ride, the protection should equate to the risk. You won't need body armour to cycle down to your local coffee shop.

PandoraHarper

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Pete was right in saying that this is a personal choice. Having said this, while I know a bit more about Windows then your average non-techy user, I also don't trust the OS. I have always run security software on every Windows machine I have owned. I barely looked at the Windows 10 options. Yes, they are more advanced and accessible then Windows 8, but again, trust.

It also depends on what you do with the machine, and how tech/internet savvy you are. I set up a Windows 7 laptop for a 58 year old, non savvy friend of mine a year ago. You bet I installed security software on that machine. I did not trust him to not open scammy emails, or avoid browsing websites loaded with malware and worse.

The only way I would run a Windows OS with only the OS security active, would be to turn it all the way up to max and then pray. (And never leave it connected to the Internet unless I was sitting in front of it).

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: what about security software for windows 10

for windows 10 do I need to install security software or is there one built-in

There is already one built-in - Windows Defender. Information has it that it is now more reliable than it used to years ago, add to that the fact that the database is updated almost every day. Going from Pete's argument, needing an additional level of security depends on the nature of your activities in you PC.

I've relied on Windows Defender for a few months on my Windows 10 laptop, seemed to doing its job well. However, when I upgraded a newer laptop to Windows 10, at a certain point my browsers started getting redirected randomly - a common adware problem. Seeing that Windows Defender wasn't detecting anything wrong, I resorted to using a dedicated adware removal software (which successfully detected and removed the unwanted malicious program). Ever since that day, I've installed an extra anti-virus software in my PCs to cover whatever Windows Defender isn't covering.

You may create a Windows Central account to respond in this thread.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're also going to need a decent firewall although Windows 10 is much more secure than the previous iterations however it's not without it's security holes or flaws (which o/s isn't?).

However it really depends on your browsing habits, for instance if you frequent websites that place flash super cookies or bombard you with pop ups before you get to any content then chances are that they will try to infect your machine with adware and to lesser extent malware.

I have seen anecdotal evidence where relying on Windows Defender is a no go, where rootkits were found using bitdefender's rootkit tool on what was believed to be an extremely clean PC as it was by user who is known to have very meticulous browsing habits. However as I said before, it is anecdotal as there are countless other factors that may have contributed to this situation.

Never the less better to be safe than sorry, so if your looking for a decent free solution try Avira Avira Free Antivirus - Download the best free antivirus software.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
As has been said, there is no right answer to this. It's all about managing risk, and deciding how much risk you want to live with.

The last time I got a virus was back in 1988 on a DOS machine. For a good fifteen years now I haven't used any security software at all apart from what comes with Windows. No problems at all. Until a few years ago I would go every six months or to the Kaspersky site for a scan, just to be sure, but it never, ever came up with a positive.

I think the risks are tiny, with my particular usage pattern. If you download lots of dodgy software, visit questionable sites, and like to open unsolicited email attachments, you might consider yourself to have a higher risk.

Beware of those who give a categorical "yes" answer (just look up the thread slightly!). Such categorical answers cannot be justified, and I'm here to prove it: my opinion is based on over 25 years of virus-free computing, with no additional protection for at least 15 of those. The only legitimate answer anyone can give you is "It will reduce the risks, but it's up to you to decide how low you want the risks to be." For me, they are already plenty low enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos