Do we know how we'll upgrade from tech preview to RTM?

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

So I've been searching for an answer to this question and I can't find anything clear anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here. I had the tech preview installed in November but it was too buggy for my everyday PC, so I went back to 8.1. Now I'm tempted to go back to the tech preview - I'm sick of fullscreen apps and want them windowed! - but I really don't want to do it if I'm going to have to regress to 8.1 again before installing the RTM win10 version.

There's 3 possibilities here:

1) Tech preview doesn't know what win version users come from and forces them to regress to 7/8/8.1 and then upgrade to win10
2) Tech preview knows if a user upgraded from 7/8/8.1 to tech preview and thus lets you update to RTM win10
3) Tech preview kinows if a user comes from 7/8/8.1 but still forces you to do clean install or upgrade from 7/8/8.1

Since I just regressed in December, I really don't want to install the win10 tech preview just to have to do another clean install in a few months. If I can upgrade from the TP2, great. If not, I might just keep waiting until RTM.

So, do we know how this is going to play out?

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

So I've been searching for an answer to this question and I can't find anything clear anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here. I had the tech preview installed in November but it was too buggy for my everyday PC, so I went back to 8.1. Now I'm tempted to go back to the tech preview - I'm sick of fullscreen apps and want them windowed! - but I really don't want to do it if I'm going to have to regress to 8.1 again before installing the RTM win10 version.

There's 3 possibilities here:

1) Tech preview doesn't know what win version users come from and forces them to regress to 7/8/8.1 and then upgrade to win10
2) Tech preview knows if a user upgraded from 7/8/8.1 to tech preview and thus lets you update to RTM win10
3) Tech preview kinows if a user comes from 7/8/8.1 but still forces you to do clean install or upgrade from 7/8/8.1

Since I just regressed in December, I really don't want to install the win10 tech preview just to have to do another clean install in a few months. If I can upgrade from the TP2, great. If not, I might just keep waiting until RTM.

So, do we know how this is going to play out?

Yes you will be able to upgrade directly to final version from the tech preview.

windows 10.png

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes you will be able to upgrade directly to final version from the tech preview.

Actually that is not what he said. I could see a requirement for a clean install for the final release if you have been on the TP or later the CP. As far as the final version being free, that has been confirmed (for WIN7 and WIN8.1 upgrades).

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's my problem, Aul's tweet isn't very clear. We don't know if we will be able to upgrade but through a clean install... oh well, I guess I'll wait a month or two more before re-installing the TP. Hopefully we know more by then.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they do not know yet either. There will be too much changes between now and September which could go either way. I take his remark as "If we can we will make it happen but there's no promises", which would seem fair to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra