Do you prefer the Xbox One X, PC, or both?

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Xbox One X is out and offers performance closer to that of today's gaming rigs, I'm interested in learning whether you have a personal preference, whether it has changed recently, or if you have both platforms and use them interchangeably, depending on what you wish to play.

For me, I'm about PC gaming most of the time, but do enjoy the Xbox One X when it comes to playing something on the larger screen. What say you?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
XoX. 1/10000 of the hackers. Haven't seen one in any current game I've played. If they could get a hold of the hackers, I'd probably enjoy PC more. I came from PC gaming -- was in CAL. Some of the younger folks only know MLG. Cyber Athletic League.

I may get a PC monitor shortly to attempt to play siege, PUBG and FortNite.

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
So, I had gotten into the cryptocurrency mining fad and went back to my original Xbox One. That lasted about 3 months (still mining on some cards BTW), but I ended up getting a mini itx case (Fractal Node 202) and swapping some parts with my gaming/mining rigs. What I have now is a small PC that sits next to the TV, so I've switched back to it for gaming. I had planned on getting an Xbox One X, but that's on hold (I don't even have a 4k TV yet). Instead I think I'll wait until it's at a much lower price for those few Xbox exclusives I want to play. My OG Xbox One works for now.

That being said, the main draw to PC is relatively cheap upgradability, a plethora of game deals, and the ability to tweak games as well as controls (I fell in love with the steam controller). The internals in my PC are now over a year old and still competitive and likely on par with the Xbox One X. I like the fact I can upgrade more frequently than console releases and I don't have to replace the entire box. Also I can take the old GPUs and make money with them mining coins.

FYI, I don't care about multiplayer either, but my friends that I have at work who do coerce to play occasionally are on PC and PS4.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess that question presumes everyone ran out and bought an Xbox One X. We have no intention of doing so. I have a very powerful machine with a nearly top-of-the-line NVidia card. My PC is fully upgradable, whereas no Xbox is. We don't have a 4K TV. But the number one reason why I have no interest in ever gaming on a console is I can't use keyboard/mouse/joystick on games. I hate controllers, without exception. They are, as far as I'm concerned, the most stupid way to play games. Our current Xbox One is merely an enhanced smart TV box and blueray player, since it has more applicable apps on it than our barely year old HD TV has on it. Although the fools at Microsoft keep SAYING they are bringing full keyboard/mouse/joystick support to Xbox, those are just words. And I've learned not to trust any promise they make anymore. So, I'm sticking with PC gaming until full support comes to the Xbox. Even then, we won't be looking to get rid of our current TV any time soon just to get 4K, so there's no reason to jones after a new Xbox.

indoctrahol

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I prefer PC. I think the XBox One X is a great leap forward for consoles. I think it will help push the industry further. Yet, I don't like the fact that I'm locked into the XBox ecosystem having the shell out money just to play online.

Great gaming deals are also more common on PC than XBox. Getting Wolfenstein 2 for $37 on launch day was pretty darn good for me.

Lastly, I don't have a 4K screen, but I do have a 1080p monitor that can go up to 144hz. So I'll take that over 60FPS in 4k. In the next few years, I'll upgrade that. I'm happy with what I have now.

Raymond Webb

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
I can see your upgrading point. But you can't buy one the top 3 graphics card for the price of the entire Xbox one x. So dollar for dollar Xbox is kicking butt. Plus a 4k Blu-ray player!

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been a console gamer my whole life. Ever since the announcement of the Xbox One S I started pondering about PC Gaming. Reason being that when it was originally announced, it sounded like they wanted to do some type of yearly update. Well, my thinking was every 2 years really. But it seems they have cooled off on that. Gaming on PC is cheaper after the initial cost. The one game I enjoy from Microsoft is on PC. Actually haven't touched my Xbox One S once they allowed cross-play on it.

Either way, I started going all in on PC this year. Bought my 2nd gaming PC, this being my 2nd in less than a year's time. My previous one I bought in June/July last year. This one I bought in January. Sold the last one in parts. I made a YUUUGE investment on my current one, so I plan on keeping it for the long run. Plus, I can always upgrade what I need/want. Have a GTX 1070 now, but will most likely downgrade to whatever nVidia puts out next year in the 60 series. I want something that draws less power but is also quieter. The way things are going, that 1160 or whatever should have the same processing power of my current one.

I also, literally just bought a Steam Link. Bought it when I saw it on sale on this site. Haven't hooked it up yet. But the goal is to just sit back, relax, and enjoy couch gaming with it. Although, I must say I have really gotten into the PC side of things. I like the fact I can multi-task seamlessly. While gaming on Gears 4, I have some background music playing, use my keyboard for skipping my music. I can also get up without having a controller attached to my headset(this is going to change or has with the XBOX) since it's wireless.

Last edited:

xfatalx zero

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I have an i7-6700 GTX 1080Ti 64GB DDR4 2133mHZ RAM 11TB of Storage with an M.2 and High end Samsung SSD. Watercooling and much more. altogether about $3500. I can game in 4K 60fps on quite a few games but I still have a 1080p monitor (btw when you game in 4K on a 1080p monitor there still is a helluva difference) and 9/10 I'm doing that in Ultra Settings. See I grew up on console and playing multiplayer there. So getting a High end PC and getting BF4 & BF1 Star Wars, Titanfall hell even COD the games just didn't reel right whether trying to play with a controller (don't judge me) or mouse and keyboard.

As for the Xbox One X I'd say it's CPU is pretty much a high end i5 or decent i7. As for everything else it pretty much has more power than a GTX 1070 and if you don't believe me look it up. I'm sure there are somethings the 1070 may beat it but it's very slim. As for me I will continue to upgrade my PC and play all my Singleplayer games on there. For my Xbox One X I will play all my multiplayer games there. I stopped playing Xbox a year ago cos I got used to the power of a PC and the lower res and fps on the One S wasn't cutting it. Now the One X is def in the playing field.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I play both, but I would say I prefer Xbox One X because I already sit in front of a computer all day for work. It's nice to just to get a break from that. There's something about sitting in front of a PC, gaming with mouse/kb, that is way more draining than on a couch with a controller for me.

Lodmot

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I prefer PC gaming. I'm in the process of building a system with my recently-acquired Sentry case from Dr. Zaber, and that will be my "gaming console" of sorts. I'm a big Sega fan, and most Sega titles (except Yakuza of course) have PC releases. I also have a sizable Steam library and some games from the Windows 10 store that I like to play. The great thing about PC gaming is that there's no bull-- you can use any gamepad you want, even console controllers. You can choose any ecosystem of games that you want, you can make your system into an emulation machine for older platforms, you can use it to do other functions like stream movies, etc. You can use any operating system you want and have any hardware configuration you want, there's better graphics on PC, free online multiplayer, etc. The list of advantages goes on and on.

Consoles today are just very unappealing to me, with the exception of the Switch. I'm more of a fan of enticing single-player experiences and local multiplayer modes. I also prefer platformers and more cartoonish graphics that are reminiscent of games from the 1990's. And as I said before I'm a big Sega fan, so I love their IP's. To be fair, the remake of Crash Bandicoot and Shenmue 3 did sort of give me an urge to consider getting a PS4, but it still isn't really enough.

MullenWP

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
If the same game (including the language options) is available on both platforms, I will choose Xbox One X for sure.
However, the reality is there are non-trivial number of games that are only on PC and other platforms, or Xbox only has limited language options compared to other platforms (what's really awful is usually I can only know which language Xbox version has after played it, but Steam always tells you all the language details). Therefore, it's actually half-half for me.

Antonht

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I play on both, I play on a monitor tough, so i cant say the console for the comfort, But i rather play shooters at the Xbox and strategy games at the PC (I like Hearts of Iron and Europa universalis, Vicky 2). I agree with other people that it doesnt feel right to pay for Xbox live to just play online. But some of the games you get for the price makes it feel ok to pay for it (I've only bought 12 month card of Xbox gold)

EXboxNick

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
it's just easier to play alone in the office on PC and enjoy that type of gaming, triple monitors... but at the same time I like to use my 4k TV and steam link doesn't support it and I hate disabling 5760x1080 just to enable my 4k TV and play in another room over HDMI. so. I'll welcome my 1X for the occasions I play with people at home.

One will go to another room and we'll local lan play Halo or something!

Deinabo George

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Now that the Xbox One X is out and offers performance closer to that of today's gaming rigs, I'm interested in learning whether you have a personal preference, whether it has changed recently, or if you have both platforms and use them interchangeably, depending on what you wish to play.

For me, I'm about PC gaming most of the time, but do enjoy the Xbox One X when it comes to playing something on the larger screen. What say you?

I game exclusively on the my PCs, though at times I've wished that some Xbox One games were released on the PC as well.

Mik29

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Xbox one x all the way. Gave up on paying for pc parts all the time just to keep up with the best framerate and graphics etc.. Switched to xbox years ago and now my new X has made me realise how much i dont miss the hassle of pc.

flyrr61

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
Laptop - ergo PC, because travel.

Lugging around any console, in comparison, is an embarrassment. Not to mention rather difficult viewing content lest a monitor is lugged too.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

PC gaming all the way. To me there's no substitute.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Clearly PC. I have my PC hooked to my TV. It's really simple.

Power and specs is not my priority but if It was I could easily upgrade my PC for less than 500 bucks and outperform a XB1x.

But anyway. Unlike XB1x, gaming on PC for me is freedom.
I'm not tied down to XBLive and the ecosystem.

+ Cheaper
+ No need to pay to play online
+ Cheaper games
+ More freedom to upgrade
+ Better deals/ mostly cheaper games
+ Most XB1x games are on PC
+ PC has WAY MORE games
+ More options when it comes to hardware (can use my steam controller, mouse+KB...)
+ True BC as I can play all my old PC games.
+ Mods
+ Not a prisoner of XB/MS

For me, it's really not really a contest. Not even close. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb