Do you want more Samsung WP devices?

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I know a lot of people aren't the biggest fans of Samsung - but, honestly hope something good comes out of this report:

Samsung reportedly looking to build more Windows Phones, if Microsoft settles legal battle | Windows Central

I've never had a problem with the Samsung hardware, it's TouchWiz that kept me from ever getting one of their Android devices again after a few months with the Note 2.

While it's a long shot that they ever would, but wouldn't the A7 be nearly perfect with Windows?

Samsung's ultra-thin Galaxy A7 is official: 5.5-inch 720p display, octa-core CPU and LTE | Android Central

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Absolutely. One of my favorite all time devices is the Samsung Focus S. If the ATIV SE had come to AT&T, I would be rocking it right now. I was so close to getting the ATIV S Neo on AT&T until I found a cheaper L920 I couldn't say no to, and I kinda always regretted it.

I love Samsung WP's. I think they just work excellent. Sammy has been fairly good- though not quick- in updates and firmware support for their devices.

I will say that article states mid-level Samsung's running WP, not top end. No offense to the market, but I do not need more mid-to-low-level WP choices. I want some top shelf Sammy's.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
At this point I don't think we should be picky about who's building Windows Phones. The important thing is to get them out there.

Believe it or not, there are people who like Samsung AND WP. I know someone who switched to WP from Android awhile ago, and chose a Samsung model (not sure which one) because he's a Samsung fan. I don't think he'd have gone with WP if no Samsung WP was available.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't mind an arrangement where Samsung makes WP-exclusive mid-range and low-end devices but also agrees to make a WP edition of a Note. That screen and the stylus would be a dream come true with Windows.

I was just surprised by the amount of negative feedback in the comments section of the WP Central article. I know Samsung is hurting and people don't like them, but I hardly think Microsoft is in the position to tell them where to go.

Last edited:

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't think we should be asking Samsung to join the WP community. Especially not at the cost of settling their legal fees.

If they really wish to join, then let them come in and actually do stuff. As is right now, I sense a half-hearted attempt at a windows phone. Then a big fanfare exit >_<.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we should be asking Samsung to join the WP community. Especially not at the cost of settling their legal fees.

If they really wish to join, then let them come in and actually do stuff. As is right now, I sense a half-hearted attempt at a windows phone. Then a big fanfare exit >_<.

I actually agree with this. I don't think Samsung has much interest in Windows Phone. It's just a ploy to eliminate or at least reduce royalties to Microsoft. OTOH, a year or so ago the royalties were under scrutiny from EU regulators and Microsoft was facing the possibility of the royalties being reduced for EU sales. I don't know what happened, if anything. Maybe Microsoft would be interested in a deal with Samsung if they'll lose at least part of the royalties anyway.

Not all Android devices are subject to the fee. It's mostly those that have SD cards. Google doesn't pay anything for Nexus devices. In fact, I've heard that that's at least part of the reason why Nexus devices don't have SD cards. Most of Samsungs have SD cards, and since Samsung sells a good share of all Android devices sold they are subject to most of the royalties.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely welcome that, If they made a note variant with windows phone 8.1 or windows 10; Then that may make me a potential buyer. Specs should be in reason, I am not much care for camera specification. But we shall wait and see if this all goes through.

fl_x

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Can't be worse than another one of of those low budget Lumia phones. As far as I'm concerned, up till now the ativ s still has the best form factor of all the WP devices.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is highly irrelevant to me and does absolutely nothing for the platform. Still....better than say an HTC.

I don't want more Samsung phones. I want Microsoft to bring more Lumia out, of the high end variety.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I know a lot of people aren't the biggest fans of Samsung - but, honestly hope something good comes out of this report:

Samsung reportedly looking to build more Windows Phones, if Microsoft settles legal battle | Windows Central

I've never had a problem with the Samsung hardware, it's TouchWiz that kept me from ever getting one of their Android devices again after a few months with the Note 2.

While it's a long shot that they ever would, but wouldn't the A7 be nearly perfect with Windows?

Samsung's ultra-thin Galaxy A7 is official: 5.5-inch 720p display, octa-core CPU and LTE | Android Central
No, because I hate Samsung phone shame, the light feel of the phones, it's back covers coding, the bezels and so on.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Kind of a moot question as Samsung already has several WP devices, but totally ignore them after they have been released. As far back as the Focus they will literally dump the phone with the carriers/users and then proceed to pretend they don't exist and don't mention them anywhere while they fawn over their android devices. Without them committing to change that and actually starting to promote their phones, whether they make more wont really make a difference as the overall effect will be like they don't have any WP devices for sale.

3acres

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I used to have a flagship Samsung device. The quality was not as good as apple. And no where near as solid as Lumia flagship devices. The best thing about Samsung is their flagship devices are bleeding edge and feature rich, accept apple did beet them to 64 bit smartphone computing.

So I rather Lumia just make more flagship devices with bleeding edge tech and more features.

I think the only thing Lumia boast is the amazing camera, although the Note 4's low light conditions on the front facing camera are better than the Lumia Icon's rear camera. That is a little mind boggling.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a big Samsung fan. Currently I use a Galaxy Note 2 and looking for something new over the next few months. I've been looking at the 1520 but after reading today about WP10 I'm willing to wait to later this year. Samsung has very good customer support and if they make a high end 5.5-6" WP I'm in.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Absolutely. One of my favorite all time devices is the Samsung Focus S. If the ATIV SE had come to AT&T, I would be rocking it right now. I was so close to getting the ATIV S Neo on AT&T until I found a cheaper L920 I couldn't say no to, and I kinda always regretted it.

I love Samsung WP's. I think they just work excellent. Sammy has been fairly good- though not quick- in updates and firmware support for their devices.

I will say that article states mid-level Samsung's running WP, not top end. No offense to the market, but I do not need more mid-to-low-level WP choices. I want some top shelf Sammy's.

I concur. I've owned those 3 you mentioned and they were awesome for their respective time. The Focus S probably had the best camera on WP7.5 including the L900. The SE is a beast but it's straddled with Big Red. If there's one nit to pick with Samsung is their reliance on plastic. Just too much of it and their devices make all kinds of creaking sounds. They simply feel cheaply made.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
...........If there's one nit to pick with Samsung is their reliance on plastic. Just too much of it and their devices make all kinds of creaking sounds. They simply feel cheaply made.

All in on that statement. First thing I did was find the thickest, heaviest phone case and slap that bad boy on there. Made it feel like a real phone.

Certainly something I do love about the Lumia line- it has some guts and a ton of backbone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Kind of a moot question as Samsung already has several WP devices, but totally ignore them after they have been released. As far back as the Focus they will literally dump the phone with the carriers/users and then proceed to pretend they don't exist and don't mention them anywhere while they fawn over their android devices. Without them committing to change that and actually starting to promote their phones, whether they make more wont really make a difference as the overall effect will be like they don't have any WP devices for sale.

The only area Samsung has completely failed is promotion. Samsung has been very good about software updates, firmware and security patches, and updating their WP's to the next version of software. All of their ATIV series devices has had software improvements and WP 8.1 updates released to them. Their App Hub has had numerous updates and they have expanded their selection, particularly with camera software.

Even as I sit holding the HTC One M8 Windows in my hand, which I am enjoying, I realize Samsung has done a way better job then HTC in supporting WP.

Promoting? Different story. There is not a commercial, not even a magazine or newspaper add to be found. Feel free to criticize Sammy to your hearts content on that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte