Does Anyone Else Think Now Is A Better Time For Microsoft To Come Back To Mobile?

Sean Russell1

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone else think that Microsoft is in a much better position to come back to mobile now than they used to be? There's PWAs, THE WINDOWS 8 DEBACLE IS OVER, there would be some form of XBox integration, they would have some form of Office for mobile, and they have the Microsoft Store (that is a lot better than when it was first implemented) that people can buy devices from? It really feels like the ecosystem is missing this one piece.

They have around 700 million devices running Windows 10 as a desktop operating system and no one is going to take over that market. It's not going anywhere.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Sadly no. I believe MS is investing too much into their other devices to talk/work with Android phones. They wouldnt do all tbat and then release a phone running some type of Windows OS.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Sadly no. I believe MS is investing too much into their other devices to talk/work with Android phones. They wouldnt do all tbat and then release a phone running some type of Windows OS.

I would have to respectfully disagree, I think MS and others are moving toward a unified standard that will allow all OS devices to talk to each other in some way; by doing so will open up a myriad of additional devices (cars, travel, TVs, home appliances, etc) and the opporunity for greater diversified growth. I for one know I am not going to pay for a product that doesn't support my ecosystem, regardless of what ecosystem that is. I believe if MS can introduce a mobile device that 'rocks' straight out of the box, they could make some quick in-roads - I also don't believe they currently possess that device...yet, but I would be very disappointed if they weren't working diligently to bring such a device to market.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Now that Google, in Europe at least, has to charge OEM manufacturers a licensing fee to include things like the Play Store on the device I can see MS launching their own version of Android as a ROM you can install on to your Android phone. But nothing much beyond that.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I would guess (end) next year is a better timing. Then updates updates for WP stop, the hardware & the ARM procs for Windows will have had some time to develop, hopefully the Store will have a bit more apps (since there is/will be a bigger market for it because of WoA devices) and touch support / OSK bugs hopefully will have been fixed. I also hope Microsoft is going to add telephone features to Windows 10 obviously. Perhaps they are waiting for the right moment to release their dual screen device (too soon and people probably won't have adopted to the idea or the device is still buggy).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As things stand right now, the major roadblock PWAs have on the mobile side of things is notifications. Getting telephony on a small form factor whether it's Andromeda or something else will be the key. Edge has matured quite nicely to the point that app-like notifications will negate the need for a mobile OS. Obviously it's not that simple but it's definitely a start in the right direction.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
The situation today is worse than in 2016 in terms of app gap. So, it is not a good time for Microsoft to enter into smartphone business.

But after being treated like zombies, do you think we should still trust Microsoft? I personally don't trust them anymore. I recently started developing for Windows 10 but I am having a very bad feeling about it. They can end any product anytime thereby leaving many stakeholders high and dry.

Also, I doubt whether they have the capability to make a revolutionary product. They always move closer towards the goal and then loose at the last moment. [Cortana, mixed reality, Kinect etc] In sports, these kind of players are called "chokers"...

Does anyone else think that Microsoft is in a much better position to come back to mobile now than they used to be? There's PWAs, THE WINDOWS 8 DEBACLE IS OVER, there would be some form of XBox integration, they would have some form of Office for mobile, and they have the Microsoft Store (that is a lot better than when it was first implemented) that people can buy devices from? It really feels like the ecosystem is missing this one piece.

They have around 700 million devices running Windows 10 as a desktop operating system and no one is going to take over that market. It's not going anywhere.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, I doubt whether they have the capability to make a revolutionary product. They always move closer towards the goal and then loose at the last moment. [Cortana, mixed reality, Kinect etc] In sports, these kind of players are called "chokers"...
In sports you also have gambling, which is something that large conglomerates can't afford to do. Much to our chagrin as users, Microsoft has not "bet the farm" on losing propositions like those you mentioned. Instead, it's grown the sectors it has had success with. Yes, it sucks because I'm a daily W10M user and I know it's living on borrowed time but it's no less true.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Yes, it sucks because I'm a daily W10M user and I know it's living on borrowed time but it's no less true.

This has seriously nothing to do with W10M anymore.

1. Just look at Windows store. It's like a dead city now. Even the UI on Windows store sucks.
2. Look at tablet PC market. They are all gone. Dell Venue 8/11 Pro, Acer Iconia W4, all vanished. And why not, there has been no update to the tablet mode of Windows 10.
3. Look at popular Windows blogs and podcasts - WinBeta (OnMSFT), WPXBOX etc.. They are all gone. Few ones remaining are covering up with news about Xbox and deals.
4. Even in PC segment, Dell has stopped dancing on Microsoft tunes. They are now playing it safe. So no Surface clones and no Windows tablets for consumers.
5. Look at Intel. Their Compute Stick was promising but they have stopped after releasing just one update.
6. Many applications have been phased out. Groove music subscription is gone, health & fitness is gone.
7. It is very much possible that Microsoft may shut down their map service or may be outsource Windows 10 maintenance to a third party.

If this is the situation, I don't know why we should invest in Microsoft services & products? It's clear that Microsoft needs time to decide whether they want to become the next IBM and take exile or whether they want a come back. So let us give them that time. But don't give them your time, money and attention. You won't get them back...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
This has seriously nothing to do with W10M anymore.

1. Just look at Windows store. It's like a dead city now. Even the UI on Windows store sucks.
2. Look at tablet PC market. They are all gone. Dell Venue 8/11 Pro, Acer Iconia W4, all vanished. And why not, there has been no update to the tablet mode of Windows 10.
3. Look at popular Windows blogs and podcasts - WinBeta (OnMSFT), WPXBOX etc.. They are all gone. Few ones remaining are covering up with news about Xbox and deals.
4. Even in PC segment, Dell has stopped dancing on Microsoft tunes. They are now playing it safe. So no Surface clones and no Windows tablets for consumers.
5. Look at Intel. Their Compute Stick was promising but they have stopped after releasing just one update.
6. Many applications have been phased out. Groove music subscription is gone, health & fitness is gone.
7. It is very much possible that Microsoft may shut down their map service or may be outsource Windows 10 maintenance to a third party.

If this is the situation, I don't know why we should invest in Microsoft services & products? It's clear that Microsoft needs time to decide whether they want to become the next IBM and take exile or whether they want a come back. So let us give them that time. But don't give them your time, money and attention. You won't get them back...

In the meantime, MS is closing in on a Trillion $ company status with profits quite satisfactory to the stock holders and new investors.

Don't get me wrong, I loved WM from the very early days to the latest WM 10 iterations but the latest is sadly the last. Time to move on.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
In the meantime, MS is closing in on a Trillion $ company status with profits quite satisfactory to the stock holders and new investors.

Don't get me wrong, I loved WM from the very early days to the latest WM 10 iterations but the latest is sadly the last. Time to move on.

This is correct. It is time to move on. Although, who knows, if anything, MS might now release their own fork of Android now that Google is charging, in the EU, for its programs and services to be put on phones.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site

Did I ever use the word W10M? I am a developer and these are my observations based on lots of other things that you missed out quite clearly.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb