Does the Nokia Lumia 820 have Gorilla Glass?

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I am really excited about the unveiling of today's phones but I am rather disappointed about no mention of Gorilla Glass in the 820 specs as it is advertised on the 920. The Lumia 800 and even the Lumia 710 have Gorilla Glass but no mention anywhere of Gorilla on the Lumia 820. Can anybody confirm whether it does or doesn't have Gorilla? Thanks....

axispraxis

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I am really excited about the unveiling of today's phones but I am rather disappointed about no mention of Gorilla Glass in the 820 specs as it is advertised on the 920. The Lumia 800 and even the Lumia 710 have Gorilla Glass but no mention anywhere of Gorilla on the Lumia 820. Can anybody confirm whether it does or doesn't have Gorilla? Thanks....
the 920 and 820 have the same specs and hardware (gorilla glass 2), just differnce in screen size. the 820 can change out different color bodys, 920 can not.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
the 920 and 820 have the same specs and hardware (gorilla glass 2), just differnce in screen size. the 820 can change out different color bodys, 920 can not.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right but where does it say so? It would be nice to see advertisements or documentation stating so. Even Nokia's website advertises all of the other units as having Gorilla Glass on the respective spec pages except for the Lumia 820. Does anybody know of any documentation verifying that the 820 does indeed have Gorilla Glass? Thanks.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the 920 and 820 have the same specs and hardware (gorilla glass 2)

I disagree with you there, they definitely don't have "the same hardware" as the Lumia 920 is the only one with Pureview as well as the Puremotion HD+ display.

Additionally, the specs between both phones on the Nokia website paint a completely different picture for both devices (i.e. no gorilla glass on 820).

Unless somebody goofed on the specs, this is accurate.
Nokia Lumia 820 Specifications - Nokia - USA
Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA

Disappointing of them to leave off gorilla glass, especially seeing as how it is in the Lumia 800.

axispraxis

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with you there, they definitely don't have "the same hardware" as the Lumia 920 is the only one with Pureview as well as the Puremotion HD+ display.

Additionally, the specs between both phones on the Nokia website paint a completely different picture for both devices (i.e. no gorilla glass on 820).

Unless somebody goofed on the specs, this is accurate.
Nokia Lumia 820 Specifications - Nokia - USA
Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA

Disappointing of them to leave off gorilla glass, especially seeing as how it is in the Lumia 800.
i do apologize for the misinformation. :confused: this may help shed some light to the question. this is from corning glass.

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
If you compare the official Nokia specs lists: Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia
Nokia Lumia 820 Specifications - Nokia

Then you will find that the 820 is not listed as having the Corning Gorilla Glass. It may be an oversight on Nokia's part, but just as well, it might not be.

Well I hope it's an oversight. If not, then shame on Nokia! How could they put Gorilla Glass on a Lumia 710 and not on a Lumia 820??? All news about Nokia recently has been about this being there last chance to make it. This is definitely not a way to come out swinging. I hope somebody associated with wpcentral can contact Nokia on clarification on this subject. No Gorilla Glass on the 820 will be a deal breaker for me. Two thumbs down to whoever made the decision to pinch pennys on Gorilla!

djgc

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope it's an oversight. If not, then shame on Nokia! How could they put Gorilla Glass on a Lumia 710 and not on a Lumia 820??? All news about Nokia recently has been about this being there last chance to make it. This is definitely not a way to come out swinging. I hope somebody associated with wpcentral can contact Nokia on clarification on this subject. No Gorilla Glass on the 820 will be a deal breaker for me. Two thumbs down to whoever made the decision to pinch pennys on Gorilla!
Featurewise the current 800 and 900 are very much in par as Lumia flagship models. With new 820 and 920 Nokia clearly wants that only 920 is on the leading edge. 820 is a bit of a disappointment. There are users who may want a smaller form factor but still with the best features. Even the wireless charging is optional in 820 and the design looks somewhat cheaper compared to 800/900/920.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Featurewise the current 800 and 900 are very much in par as Lumia flagship models. With new 820 and 920 Nokia clearly wants that only 920 is on the leading edge. 820 is a bit of a disappointment. There are users who may want a smaller form factor but still with the best features. Even the wireless charging is optional in 820 and the design looks somewhat cheaper compared to 800/900/920.

Well I wouldn't say the 820 disappoints. It does have the same front and back cameras as well as the same screen as the 900 which is currently considered a flagship. Add to that microSD support, removable battery, 1GB RAM, and a 1.5 dual-core snapdragon processor and I would say you probably won't find a better mid-grade phone. However, Gorilla Glass is found on low end devices and Nokia uses it in practically all of their devices so why not the 820??? If this was do or die for my company I definitely would not have ignored the Gorilla Glass. I wonder who at Nokia dropped the ball on this one. I really wanted the 820 but I don't want a screen protector on it. I'm still hoping there is an oversight on Nokia's part but I doubt it since Corning's website has already updated the list of devices on their website to include the 920 as having Gorilla but the 820 has not been added to the list. Very disappointing!!!

dreester

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Disappointing indeed. I wasn't considering the ATIV S at all, now I'm taking it into consideration. The 920 is just too big, while the ATIV S is roughly the same size I'd choose it over the 920 because of the weight. The Lumia's have all the nice innovations, but the ATIV S covers the basics pretty well. Hopefully HTC has some nice surprises.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well they did mention the the camera drivers and the processing algorithms was improved a lot. So basically a good 8MP shooter, but of course not compared the 920's Pureview.

I'm interested to see if they based on this info are able to further improve the camera in the 800/900 with the 7.8 update.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I just read a preview on brighthand.com that says both the 920 and 820 have Gorilla but who knows where they got their information from. I'm still surprised that nobody from wpcental hasn't tried to confirm this yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar