Does the "This PC" screen update itself when the computer's OS is updated?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi - I have a Dell Win 8.0 desktop which OS was upgraded to v.8.1 which I ran until MS offered the free Win 10 upgrade in 2016. Paid a technical service to do both upgrades (as I'm not that confident in those skills). Last night I was told by another tech from same company that he is "certain [my] PC is running Windows 8.0". (Just verified "This PC" screen and that IS what it still shows.)

My question, then, is: (a) How can I validate which OS my PC has on it right now? (b) Does the "This PC" screen automatically update itself with every OS upgrade?

I guess a follow-up question would be: What path could I take and/or recourse do I have with a technical support company if I have been royally "screwed"?

Thank you for your time; I look forward to your kind response and receipt of helpful information.

- Rocky Mountain Gal

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am assuming you are talking about the System Properties thing, in which you right click on This PC and select Properties.

Here is what it looks like on a Windows 10 computer:

Capture.PNG

It clearly says Windows 10.

This is an example of a Windows 8.1 computer:

SystemProperties.jpg
It says Windows 8 in cyan, but to the left it will distinguish whether it is truly Windows 8/8.1.

Alternatively:

If you push the start button this is what Windows 10 looks like unmodified: (also note the presence of a search bar in the lower left, which is not there in 8.x.

Windows-10-start-menu.png

And in 8.1:

Screenshot-2.png

As for recourse, if the upgrade they claimed to do was not done, I would take what documentation I had and request a refund. And stick to the facts, keep it simple and disregard any jargon that might be thrown your way. And maybe bring backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire