Doing a clean install of Windows 10 on a Surface 3

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The S3 comes with Home edition.
FWIW, the 4GB/128GB Surface 3 with LTE I just got from AT&T comes with Win 8.1 Pro, probably because this tablet is only for businesses. It appears that the corporate discount I get qualified me for this version rather than only the 2GB/64GB model marketed to the public.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, the 4GB/128GB Surface 3 with LTE I just got from AT&T comes with Win 8.1 Pro, probably because this tablet is only for businesses. It appears that the corporate discount I get qualified me for this version rather than only the 2GB/64GB model marketed to the public.

You're absolutely right. Interesting.

Tersanyus

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I finally got around to doing a clean install on my AT&T Surface 3. I have the 2GB of ram model.

Should have waited till today to do this as the MS tool to make an ISO or USB Windows 10 installer now includes the Fall update released today. Anyway, I used the MS tool to make a USB installer for a clean Windows 10 install. Thankfully glad I didn't have to use a USB hub and keyboard and mouse, the type cover worked fine.

After installing Windows 10, of course, noting much worked so found the AT&T Surface 3 drivers on the MS site, then all worked great. Before installing that didn't have touch screen and most drivers were not installed. Interestingly enough those drivers were dated like a couple days ago. I used the MSI installer option so it installed all needed drivers.

Updated to the Fall release of Windows 10 that came out today, all is well so far. No lockups or freezing but it's only been a few hours. Working now on getting other apps installed like Office 2016 and such.

vlopddap

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Just for your info I found this thread while Googling "Clean install Windows 10 Surface Pro 3" and we are January 20th 2016 and I just perform a in-deep clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my Surface Pro 3 work tablet (even deleted all the partitions and started from scratch) and it goes flawlessly and for the drivers during the first boot up I had like a dozen of "unknown peripherals" into the Devices Manager and the display was messy, but after a single run of the Windows Update, then a single reboot, all drivers auto-installed by Windows Updates channels. So it look like the Surface 3 tablets family are now Windows 10 ready at 100% and 100% plug & play installation. No need of any prebuilt recovery image at this point IMO. Anyway as IT manager for 15 years ago I totally dislike all manufacturer prebuilt recovery images as it came with a lot of third-party junk (especially HP, Lenovo, etc), but in the case of the MS Surface it doesn't comes with any crap from factory, thumbs-up to Microsoft for that!

I just wanted to give this thread a happy ending, for sure that other people will do the same search on Google than me and my reach this discussion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99