Doubt regarding Cyan and WP 8.1 Update 1

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Once the Cyan update is available in my country, India for Lumia 520, will I be able to download it immediately or do I have to wait for a separate version to be released for Preview for Developers users? I don't use BitLocker.

Also, do you think updating to WP 8.1 Update 1 will solve the battery drain issues?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
First part answer :- you to wait for a fix for developer preview , you won't get cyan until there is a patch from Microsoft. Second way is to downgrade your device to windows phone 8 via nokia recovery tool and wait for cyan/windows phone 8.1 update.

Second part answer :- maybe maybe not. This is something to deal with firmware updates like lumia cyan firmware update for windows phone 8.1.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
How about this: Downgrade to WP8, get Cyan update, register for PFD and get GDR1 update? Would you suggest getting the GDR1 update before Cyan?

EDIT: Sorry, made duplicate post by mistake

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
How about this: Downgrade to WP8, get Cyan update, register for PFD and get GDR1 update? Would you suggest getting the GDR1 update before Cyan?

You can opt for GDR1 update after receiving cyan update. It's personal preference if you want to test out or get your hands on windows phone 8.1 GDR1 update early ;)

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
i bit the bullet and downgraded my Lumia 925 to WP8 and then got Cyan immediately and have now re-enrolled on the DP.

Personally i felt happier with it that way. But it ultimately shouldn't matter how you do it, it should all work as intended.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
i bit the bullet and downgraded my Lumia 925 to WP8 and then got Cyan immediately and have now re-enrolled on the DP.

Personally i felt happier with it that way. But it ultimately shouldn't matter how you do it, it should all work as intended.

How's your 925 doing? At which stage do you think it was working best: 8.1 with Black or 8.1 with Cyan? I have a Lumia 520 so it's not as if I'm gonna enjoy many of the features brought by Cyan or GDR1 for that matter. Just hope they sort out the battery issues and Facebook/Messenger integration has a long way to go too.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site

Is there any advantage to getting back on DP, if like in my case, I downgraded to get Cyan and then my carrier OTA'ed WP 8.1 to my phone? The end result is I have Cyan with WP 8.1... I'm not really seeing the advantage of going back to DP 8.1... maybe if there is a DP for 8.2 or 9, I would jump on that one.

Your thoughts?

~ScottGeek.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there any advantage to getting back on DP, if like in my case, I downgraded to get Cyan and then my carrier OTA'ed WP 8.1 to my phone? The end result is I have Cyan with WP 8.1... I'm not really seeing the advantage of going back to DP 8.1... maybe if there is a DP for 8.2 or 9, I would jump on that one.

Your thoughts?

~ScottGeek.

Yes, you will get GDR1 next week if you are on the DP.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
How's your 925 doing? At which stage do you think it was working best: 8.1 with Black or 8.1 with Cyan? I have a Lumia 520 so it's not as if I'm gonna enjoy many of the features brought by Cyan or GDR1 for that matter. Just hope they sort out the battery issues and Facebook/Messenger integration has a long way to go too.

So far so good. i've not changed any settings especially in regards to battery and there is a noticeable improvement in efficiency of battery life. otherwise it seems to perform the same possibly a few less resuming screens etc. The pairing of Cyan and 8.1 definitely seems worthwhile in my books but as always "results may vary"

i re-added the DP basically to be ready for whatever next release comes about and as soon as i registered it instantly wanted to update to a newer build (from 8.1.12393.890 to 8.10.12397.895) Besides as i am in the UK I want access to Cortana and update 1 from next week.

At the end of the day it is down to your preference if you're happy with things as they are on the handset then wait for Cyan to be made available. If you're having some troubles then doing a full backup and then downgrading / upgrading may be worth your while. although make sure the Cyan update is availble for your handset and carrier in your country first. That info can be found Here

For the record the procedure i took was to backup the handset in full. Use the Nokia recovery tool to go back to Black/8.0 (thank you Amy Winehouse) ran the phone through first config and didn't setup any accounts. Updated to Cyan/8.1 then did a hard reset. Once that was completed i setup the phone as normal restored my files and handset backup then installed the DP and upgraded again to latest DP build.

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

How much time it took to downgrade from WP8.1 DP to WP8 using recovery tool? And how much data was needed to load WP8 back.
I am confused whether to downgrade to WP8, because I am having 620, and I am sure WP8.1 GDR1 would arrive before Cyan.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
On a completely different note, is it possible to clear the live tile counter of a particular app on the start screen without having to open said app? I find that clearing any toast notifications I have received from WhatsApp clears the live tile counter of WhatsApp as well as removes the WhatsApp symbol from the lock screen but this doesn't follow suit for the Messenger app and I manually have to open it to actually get rid of the tile counter and its symbol on the lock screen.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok Just to get this right. The confusion is weather to go from 8.1DP to GDR1 DP with Black FW or to go from 8.1 DP to 8.0 and then CYAN followed by GDR1. Have I got this right.
Wouldnt it make sense to go back to 8.0 get Cyan and then jump to GDR1 since you will have Cyan FW instead of Black FW? For a matter of 2-3 Hours ( I doubt it is the case with everyone) I would rather get CYAN if available then go to GDR if not by all means direct. to GDR1.

Just wondering what the experts have to say on my scenario. As usual We are still waiting for the Cyan in AUS. Getting GDR1 and waiting for MS to fix the F*(kup to get CYAN or wait to get Cyan since I have already waited this long and then get GDR1.
FYI I didnt opt in for DP of 8.1. But like someone here said to access Cortana (in its infancy), battery issues and other "features" I wouldnt mind risking GDR1 :)

Advice?

GeorgeX

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
How much time it took to downgrade from WP8.1 DP to WP8 using recovery tool? And how much data was needed to load WP8 back.
I am confused whether to downgrade to WP8, because I am having 620, and I am sure WP8.1 GDR1 would arrive before Cyan.

My 620 was on Lumia Black & PFD 8.1 (version 8.10.12397.895). Today I checked for updates and an update was available (GDR1). I did not download it, I thought I should get out of the PFD and check again for updates, in case Cyan was available. Maybe I could update to Cyan without downgrading first, and then upgrading to GDR1.
So I run Preview for Developers, unchecked the box and then went to Settings -> Phone Updates again. Without checking again, it said "an update is avalailable", so I press "download". Well guess what, it was still the GDR1 update from the previous check. I am on 8.10.14147.180 now.

Am I going to get a notification about the Cyan update when that is available? I guess I won't be able to install it without downgrading fist.
Are there any firmware updates for the 620 with the Lumia Cyan? If there are no firmware updates available, maybe it's not worth downgrading to get Cyan. Can someone post firmware version numbers for 620 with Cyan update?

My 620 with Black update has:
firmware revision number 3056.40000.1404.0002
hardware revision number 5.0.4.0
radio software version 2.0.242028.8

Just noticed that "Extras+Info" Setting does not run anymore: "there is a problem with this app".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap