Downgraded my 1520 for the 830, my experience so far

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Got tired of having a 6 inch phone screen, and I passed up the great specs of the 930 because it doesn't have expandable storage. While it is a bit of a drop to go from 1080p to 720p resolution and a slower processor, I find that the 830 is sufficient in specs.

First, I'd like to say that the audio-out quality of the 830 is almost identical to the 1520. When I fine tuned the EQ, they sounded very similar, although I think the 1520 sounds ever-so-slightly better, but I'm not sure if there is a real difference. This factor is one of the most important to me.

Battery life: Haven't had the chance to use the 830 for a full day on a full charge. The battery is definitely better than the 1020, not as good as the 1520 so I'd say the battery is decent. Can the battery be replaced for a battery with higher milliamp?

Speed: The 830 is noticeably slower than the 1520 but the 830 is not a slow phone by any means. Haven't tried playing Halo Wars on this device yet so we'll see how it handles.

Front Camera: The front camera in the 830 is pretty terrible but since I rarely ever use the front camera this is totally a non-factor for me.

Rear Camera: Both the 1520 and the 830 camera are great cameras. I find that the 830 photos are a bit more sharp looking, but have a bit of fuzz in the photos when you zoom in on them. The 1520 photos look amazing even zoomed in on the photo.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I wish Microsoft would put out a flagship phone that isn't huge with expandable storage. I wanted the 930 but somehow the company thought 32gb would be sufficient for a phone that takes 20 megapixel shots. Guess we all gotta wait for something nicer to come out.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
indeed...the 830 might not be as fast as a 930/1520 but for real world usage, the difference is actually insignificant

I switched from a Moto X (2013) to the 830 and have to say I'm loving the phone performance! everything is snappy and fast and I only really see a 1sec resuming screen when pulling an app too long on background

even Rayman Jungle Run performed flawlessly!

overall great phone!

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I also came from 1520..my biggest disappointment is the display..blacks becomes greyish and whites become yellowisg when seen on angles..still a great phone :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I too went from a 1520 to an 830 back in early October. Speed difference has been negligible (though I don't play games). Haven't looked back! Happy with the switch.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I would've honestly not hesitated to pay more for the 830 if it had a faster processor, it had absolutely everything i wanted in the phone with a rubbish processor, i would even get it if it has a vga front camera but better processor.
i just i can't live with the fact it has the same processor as a 630, im sure others can but i can't, but well i'll probably wait for the 930's price to drop i suppose. Have to ditch SD and glance, OH joy.
Been wanting an upgrade for ages, and i still haven't found one.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I did the same, the 1520 is a great device hardware specs but the size was too much. The 830 is a great device, size and design, its a beautiful device. I know its not the latest specs. I love the green cover :)

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
If I can't get the phantom touch on my 1520 fixed I might be downgrading. I loved my 925, and if this is anything like that, I'll take the lower specs. At least for a year on the next

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If I can't get the phantom touch on my 1520 fixed I might be downgrading. I loved my 925, and if this is anything like that, I'll take the lower specs. At least for a year on the next

It's been a year... there's no fix for the 1520's touch screen issues. It's a hardware problem.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have an 830 and it's my first windows phone, so have no point of comparison. But, the processor seems fine for my needs. I notice no lags in performance, have only noticed animation "stutter" once or twice. The phone did freeze yesterday for the first time, hope that won't be a trend.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I moved from a L720 to a L830 and it has been an excellent experience thus far. I am really enjoying the larger screen, the excellent build (thought the L720 was built very well too), the faster processor and the increased RAM makes using the phone an excellent device (when compared to the L720). I think the battery in the L720 was a little better, but I am not surprised about this - in fact, it is to be expected. That said the battery of the L830 - based on my usage - is just fine. It has not got warm. I am enjoying using it. Yes, it is perhaps a little more expensive that what it was supposed to be, but I console myself by saying that it is one of the last great Nokia phones. The next time around, it will be Windows branded phone for me.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It's been a year... there's no fix for the 1520's touch screen issues. It's a hardware problem.
My fix will be a warranty replacement, if it doesn't fix it I will be asking for an 830 and a credit to my account. Otherwise I might go with the Htc one.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm so torn... I wanted the 830 to replace my 920, but that cpu/gpu has me concerned. I do play Halo, Pac-Man DX, Hydrothunder, and Asphalt series. Those games seem like they would tax the 830. I had decided to get a 1520, but the screen problems are a deal breaker.

I think I'm going to try and hold out till March/April and see if MS decides to release a real flagship.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Lastly, I'd like to say that I wish Microsoft would put out a flagship phone that isn't huge with expandable storage. I wanted the 930 but somehow the company thought 32gb would be sufficient for a phone that takes 20 megapixel shots. Guess we all gotta wait for something nicer to come out.

My thoughts exactly!

BTW, I switched to AT&T from Verizon (I had the 822) because... well Verizon sucks.

I'm loving my 830, but if/when Microsoft releases a high end phone with an SD slot I'll be looking to upgrade again.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm so torn... I wanted the 830 to replace my 920, but that cpu/gpu has me concerned. I do play Halo, Pac-Man DX, Hydrothunder, and Asphalt series. Those games seem like they would tax the 830. I had decided to get a 1520, but the screen problems are a deal breaker.

I think I'm going to try and hold out till March/April and see if MS decides to release a real flagship.

IIf you can wait, wait. However, the 830 plays all of those games without problems.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
LOL couldn't wait. Got an 830 coming. I got it on ATT next, so I can upgrade again in a year should a flagship Win10 device present itself.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would've honestly not hesitated to pay more for the 830 if it had a faster processor, it had absolutely everything i wanted in the phone with a rubbish processor, i would even get it if it has a vga front camera but better processor.
i just i can't live with the fact it has the same processor as a 630, im sure others can but i can't, but well i'll probably wait for the 930's price to drop i suppose. Have to ditch SD and glance, OH joy.
Been wanting an upgrade for ages, and i still haven't found one.

Think about this. You are willing to sacrifice useable features for a difference in processing power that will barely be noticeable in day to day tasks.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Think about this. You are willing to sacrifice useable features for a difference in processing power that will barely be noticeable in day to day tasks.

I had the same concerns about the 830's processor (looking to get a new phone since my 920 isn't doing so well) so I went into a Microsoft store this morning, and the difference was noticeable with loading websites and opening things like the calendar and Xbox Music/MixRadio (compared to M8 and Icon). It was definitely noticeable. However, it was stand-able, and at the price, it should be ok to just go with this and get a new flagship in a year, like denzilla said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786