Duo 2: Image processing bad or broken device?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a Duo 1 to a Duo 2. Image processing for both the front and rear facing cameras seem to be extremely poor. Photos are overly sharp and any photos taken in dim to slightly bright light have extreme pixel discoloration.

As a comparison, here's an image from a Galaxy S10 Lite and then the Duo 2. And the Duo 2 image is actually good in comparison to what I usually get. Often, in dim lighting, the edges have a noticeably thick bar of discolored pixels. It's significantly worse than my Duo 1 in a similar situation. I've already tried factory resetting the device. It actually seems slightly better but definitely not good.

So is everyone having such poor experience with the cameras? Are your pictures overly sharp or discolored in dim lighting situations, or should I look into getting my Duo 2 replaced?

View attachment 20220618_132906.jpg

IMG_20220618_132923.jpg

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Frankly speaking, you are expecting much from this there aren’t many positive things to say about Duo 2 camera. The camera hunts for focus a lot, is slow to capture images, and is generally just not very pleasant to use.
Image quality is a low point, too. Pictures are over-sharpened and flat, low-light images have lots of watercolor noise reduction and little detail. While it’s certainly an upgrade to the complete lack of a proper camera system in the first Duo, the Duo 2’s camera is hardly competitive with phones at its price point or even hundreds of dollars less.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
the camera can be amazing at times. but it is more finicky sometimes. you can press the shutter and get result A and then press it again, and the results are very different.

If you're going to be shooting in low light, switch it to night mode. But in night mode, you do have to hold steady for a longer bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes