Dusted off the old 925

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I stopped using Windows Mobile a couple of years ago. As much as I tried and really wanted to, I never liked the improved WM10 interface and finally gave up and moved on.

The other day, I pulled the last Windows Phone that I had owned out of the drawer -- the Nokia 925. I hadn't used it in years. I powered it up and got that same empty and disappointing feeling again while I scrolled and poked around the version of WM10 that I had loaded on it as an insider.

For fun, I decided to roll it back to 8.1. It took a while to download all the updates and reinstall all of my old apps. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the apps that I used to use were still available. (With all the talk recently of apps leaving the platform, I had wondered about that.) It was fun to organize all the tiles again and I started to remember what I had loved so much about Windows Phone.

I love the lockscreen. The time and date are placed in exactly the right place and my next appointment is always there as a reminder. The slide up to unlock animation is smooth and delightful.

The bold typeface is still gorgeous and intuitive and really stands apart from the bland, fragile fonts that everyone else is using (including WM10).

The People Hub used to be my go-to place to catch up on what my family and friends were up to. It was a fun concept that was (and still is) way ahead of its time. Although some of the functionality is no longer supported, It was fun to browse through it again.

I popped open the Xbox Games app and was greeted by my old friend: my Xbox avatar. She hasn't aged a day since I last saw her. She humorously did backflips and danced when I tapped on the screen. When I ignored her for a bit, she ran away. With a tap, she was back and she got dizzy and fell down when I shook my phone. I remember that she used to get angry and stomp her foot and crack the screen if you did something to annoy her. I couldn't remember how to do that anymore...

Sure, some of the apps on WM don't have all the features that I have gotten used to on my current platform of choice (and that ends up being a pretty big deal to me), but it was fun to remember again why I had fallen in love with Windows Phone in the first place way back when. I remembered that once upon a time, using my smartphone used to be fun. Over the past couple of days, I have found myself pulling the old phone out again here and there -- just for fun. Somehow that makes me a little bit sad.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
A lot of things changed in WIn10M in the meantime. You cannot check it out as insider, but you can use the registry hack as many users.
Elsewhere, that's like when sometimes I'm plugging and turning on my commodore and put a cassette tape in the loader... just for hearing the scrathching sounds and waiting for the "RUN" text on tv...

Respect. Enjoy and don't forget your memories

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Still packing my Lumia 925.
I love the phone on 8.1 because to me it's how things were supposed to work.

Days gone by...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using an iPhone 6s as my daily driver since late September of last year, but I still use my Lumia 925 for stuff as well. It's actually the phone that sits closest to me when I'm sleeping. I've used it to play the Sleep Bug ambient sound app (it really helped me during the spring because of my tinnitus getting worse) and I use the Bowling Scorer app to regularly track my games at my bowling leagues.It's still a gorgeous phone and definitely still works. I have also been checking the Games app since I recently got a new game and have been unlocking achievements in it.

SirThoreth

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I find myself increasingly parking my BLU Win HD LTE running Windows 10 Mobile and using my Lumia 925 in its place. I've grown increasingly frustrated with Windows 10 Mobile, with the loss of Kid's Corner in the Anniversary Update really irritating me, on top of the less polished interface and minor annoyances that make the Win10M UI seem poorer overall than the WP8.1 UI.

The 925 is, overall, a great phone, though I do miss having an SD card slot, and there are times I wish it had a removable battery. App selection isn't quite what it is under Win10M, but neither are that great, so it's not a huge difference. Even with yeti paws for hands, I find the 4.5" form factor on the 925 better as a phone than the 5" on the BLU, and screen quality (even with the ever-so-slight burn-in of the IE toolbar at the bottom of the screen) is leaps and bounds better.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've never stopped using my 925. It's my daily phone and has been since it was first released. One of these days soon I will get something new, because it is frustrating to have such limited memory

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254