Elon Musk calls Microsoft's controversial AI Recall a "Black Mirror episode" but NPUs will protect your privacy on Copilot+ PCs

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I fail to see how the dependency on the hardware is supposed to make it safer, it simply means that basic elaboration and analysis stays on the device (the photo itself, not sure about the extrapolated data from your activity though).

Yeah no, I don’t trust Microsoft enough anymore to take their word on any of this

Reactions: Arun Topez

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
I fail to see how the dependency on the hardware is supposed to make it safer, it simply means that basic elaboration and analysis stays on the device (the photo itself, not sure about the extrapolated data from your activity though).

Yeah no, I don’t trust Microsoft enough anymore to take their word on any of this
Exactly. NPU doesn't guarantee safety. *For now* they're marketing it as local, but there's nothing stopping them from adding cloud/sync and other data tracking down the road. And with the way Microsoft has been moving in recent years, they would enable it by default or show a prompt but have the checkbox pre-selected with confusing text.

And Elon is right, that 'recall' feature has been shown in Black Mirror a couple of times actually. Obviously, right now it's limited to what's on the screen, but eventually it can expand to HoloLens probably and then as technology advances, real life.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
For the hundredth time.

Windows phones failed because they were "Windows" phones.

I realize this is hard for people here to understand. But the fact is, most people hate Windows. It is the thing they are forced to use at work. If they use it at all. Is it ANY surprise that most people did not want "Windows" in their pocket?

Notice that Google did not just call them "GNU/Linux Phones". They have an actual Marketing Department. They came up with a cute name AND image. Thus, Android was born.

The phones from MS should have been given a new brand name. That MS thinks "Windows Phone" is a name that would capture people's imagination is a total mystery to me.

And BTW, this shows just how clueless MS is at marketing to consumers.

Needless to say, Apple also knows how to market to consumers. They weren't called "MacOS/Unix phones" for a reason.

Because Apple also has a competent Marketing Department.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963