Email continues to sync using up data

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with an email account. My 1020 is through AT&T. Anyway, I noticed a couple of months ago that my data usage had gone up dramatically with no change in my own data usage. I checked my usage history, and appears that one of my email accounts on the phone was constantly syncing and this appears to be where the data usage is. I called AT&T tech support and they were stumped with the only real suggestion to reset the phone (ugh). I did take off the email account and reloaded, but that didn't work. I have done many soft resets, but again that didn't work. My only solution has been to turn on and off the cellular data usage (normally on Wi-Fi when at home and work and have a hot spot in my car), but this is getting a bit old. I was about to do the reset when I thought I would seek solutions from the helpful folks in here. Anyone else had a similar issue and how did you fix it, if you were able to fix it? Thanks in advance!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Is the email that's causing you problems the same one use to sign into your device? You could set the email sync to manual but if the problem is really bad then you might need to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool and start from scratch.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
No....not the same. I ended up doing a full "reset" of my phone, and that didn't seem to help. What is the difference between a full reset and doing the Windows Device Recovery Tool? This is very perplexing. Since resetting the phone Saturday night, that email account (which is my work email account) has used 570 MB over Wi-Fi. This is in about 3 days. As a comparison, another email account on the phone has used 44 MB over that time period. I am not downloading large files at all. Nothing has changed with my email usage since this started a couple of months ago. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss