emulator gaming

Vercetti757

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I installed PCSX2 for a PS2 emulator and it runs at 40-60fps on the 128GB/4GB model. It gets choppy for action games but works for roleplaying turn based games. I haven't tried it but generally SNES, NES, and N64 games should be fine. I ran those on my Dell Venue 8 tablet before the surface 3 with no issues. The Surface uses a newer version of the same processor the 2GB RAM Dell did. Having the type cover or game controller makes a nice portable game system. You can even use the Mini display port to hook it up to a TV

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Slinkydink

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested in emulators for PS2 and Nintendo 64 on my Surface Pro 3 and my girlfriends soon ro arrive Surface 3 (2GB ram).
A couple of questions -
1- How do you get the games onto your device from the cartridges or disks (I'm presuming you need these first, right ?)
2- Can anyone recommend any specific emulators ?

Many thanks

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested in emulators for PS2 and Nintendo 64 on my Surface Pro 3 and my girlfriends soon ro arrive Surface 3 (2GB ram).
A couple of questions -
1- How do you get the games onto your device from the cartridges or disks (I'm presuming you need these first, right ?)
2- Can anyone recommend any specific emulators ?

Many thanks

Ive played some gamecube games very smoothly on my Surface Pro 3 just fine, and I have the i3 model. .so whatever model you have, Nintendo 64 games should run fine since the gamecube is much more graphically intense. .idk about PS2 games, and as far as transfering games to pc, idk either. I don't think a PS2 disc would work in a DVD drive even if the SP3 did have one, and there's no way ( to my knowledge ) to transfer a n64 cartridge rom to a PC for an emulator to play.. that would most likely need some sort of third party accessory.. I know a lot of people simply download their roms from the web, but that is in most cases illegal since downloading Roms from a Rom site isn't paying the developer.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
N64 emulation is actually "easier" than PS2 emulation in terms of performance. All the N64 emulators out there are high level emulation. Meaning, they don't try to copy the original hardware. They simply take the commands (like how to draw a rectangle) and perform the PC equivalent. Since the N64 was most 3D polygon gaming, this was acceptable. High level emulation means better performance but lesser compatibility. You could get great N64 performance back in the days of 3dfx.

All the PS2 emulators are traditional emulators and they try to copy the PS2 hardware exactly so the demand for good hardware is higher.

As far as the games themselves, it's far easier and cheaper to just download the illegal images. Ripping your own games requires a monetary investment and time on your part.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I could not get MAME to recognize my joystick. Edit: I forgot to enable joystick input in the global settings in MAME. It should work fine now. I just have to test it some more.

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Xbox one controller can simply be connected to a PC with any regular micro USB cord (the same cord a smartphone uses), while a 360 controller will need a proprietary accessory to be connected wirelessly and wired

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a wired Xbox 360 controller that works fine in the Surface 3 for Steam but for some reason MAME does not recognize it. Strange. Edit: Forgot to enable joystick input.

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
you have to configure it. are you using winmame? mameui? or the CLI version? either way, it's just a matter of going into the settings. it really is easy if you play around with the settings.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is legal to download a ROM from the internet as long as it is the same title, version, and region as the original copy that you posses.
Otherwise you have 24 hours to delete it before the feds can arrest you XD

There are no easy ways to make a ROM. If done right it will be exactly like a downloaded one anyways.

Best emulators for SNES are ZSNES (for speed first) and BSNES (accuracy first).

N64 has the legendary project64.

BTW wherever possible I recommend swapping PS2 for Gamecube games. PCSX2 is so far behind in speed and accuracy when compared to Dolphin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99