Encryption question

cstenson

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Bit of background if you'll indulge - at my workplace we are still running Exchange 2003 -u/g next finincial year hopefully;). At the moment we can't allow devices other than Blackberrys to access Exchange as E2K3 doesn't support the EAS encryption policy. We are looking at WP8 as possible BB replacements. Am I right in thinking that the whole device is encrypted with Bitlocker, thereby meaning EAS encryption policy is irrelevant and we can roll out devices securely even prior to upgrading Exchange?

Probably a dumb question but thanks in advance...

C

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Bit of background if you'll indulge - at my workplace we are still running Exchange 2003 -u/g next finincial year hopefully;). At the moment we can't allow devices other than Blackberrys to access Exchange as E2K3 doesn't support the EAS encryption policy. We are looking at WP8 as possible BB replacements. Am I right in thinking that the whole device is encrypted with Bitlocker, thereby meaning EAS encryption policy is irrelevant and we can roll out devices securely even prior to upgrading Exchange?

Probably a dumb question but thanks in advance...

C
Not really a dumb question. There really is a dearth of official information about many features of the OS, and the info that is there is buried.

Here's a link with some vague information about encryption:
Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

It's not really clear to me what they're saying. First it says "To help keep everything from documents to passwords safe, Windows Phone 8 encrypts the operating system and data files." Then in the next sentence we get "With device encryption turned on, any file saved to the phone is encrypted automatically."

I'm not sure how you turn device encryption on. Is it on by default? Is it in the settings? Maybe someone with a WP8 can clarify this.

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

cstenson

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Not really a dumb question. There really is a dearth of official information about many features of the OS, and the info that is there is buried.

Here's a link with some vague information about encryption:
Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

It's not really clear to me what they're saying. First it says "To help keep everything from documents to passwords safe, Windows Phone 8 encrypts the operating system and data files." Then in the next sentence we get "With device encryption turned on, any file saved to the phone is encrypted automatically."

I'm not sure how you turn device encryption on. Is it on by default? Is it in the settings? Maybe someone with a WP8 can clarify this.
Thanks thed, yeah the line 'With device encryption turned on, any file saved to the phone is encrypted automatically' is the crux. If the user can just turn off encryption then we're out of luck until we upgrade Exchange when we can use EAS to enforce it. I'll try to get clarification out of Microsoft but if anyone has a WP8 please clarify!

cstenson

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Suggest research here: Windows Phone 8 is here and ready for business! - Microsoft Enterprise Insights Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Windows Phone 8 supports full disk encryption, Office 365, IRM, and many other enterprise class features. Keep in mind that Windows Phone 8 also supports Information Rights Management and many other advanced business features =D.

Windows Phone 7 for Business | Windowsphone.com | Windows Phone (United States) - check out the video here

Look out BB, Droid, iPhone!
Thanks Robert, that document answers it I think - it sounds like when they release the management tools (new version of InTune so I understand) then we would be able to force the devices to encrypt, so it wouldn't matter that E2K3 doesn't support EAS encryption policy. Not 100% sure but once they release the new InTune hopefully all will become clear...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny