Everyone i've recommended a WP8 Phone to endlessly complains!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
How many people visit Japan? You can't have it all in any phone. Also most of the people won't use data when traveling and hence Nokia's offline maps are so important. Ofcourse if Japan maps are not there then it's not useful but for other countries it is useful.

WTF kind of answer is that? Just the kind of thing that makes people hate fanbois of all kinds (Droids, iSheep and now... WPtards?).

That was a perfectly legitimate complaint; Narita alone had 32 million pax transit in 2012. That aside, what would you say to the 129 million people living in Japan? Protip: If you have nothing useful to contribute to the discussion, feel free to lurk.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I recommended WP for my not-very-techie mom; she had an HTC One V which she didn't like very much and I thought a 720 would be good. Unfortunately, it didn't work out because apps :-/ of course.

Citibank India app, cos our whole family has Citi accounts and she's always checking her balance, paying bills and transferring money.

Whatsapp, our whole family (that is spread across many countries) has it. Whatsapp on WP is majorly buggy.

Google Hangouts (still the only free multiparty videoconference system).

Tripit (she doesn't travel very much but when she does it's invaluable).

Facebook messages are slow to arrive or non-existent.

Attachments - She has a Y! account because it's where her friends have a mailing list. Often needs to download arbitrary files from her Gmail and send via Y! or vice versa, not possible with WP.

And a bunch of much-needed little things - separate notification volumes, a notification center etc etc etc.

So as many people here self-righteously say, apps and those little features are enormously important. No matter how pretty the UI, WP is still seriously lacking. The "it's still a young OS" excuse doesn't fly, MS should have taken a list of what Android/iOS can do and made sure that WP can at least do what they can do.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
:grin: These fanatic threads are always hilarious to read...
Tell me, do any of you have friends which have a different sexual orientation? If you do - do you also try to force (or "recommend", which is basically same thing) them into believing that your own sexual preference is "the best" one and that they should also convert to it? And if they refuse - do you also get "frustrated", "annoyed", "sick of them", call them derogatory names behind their backs and whine about it on forums? How about friends with different religious preferences? Or even simpler things such as food/music/movies? Do you also try to force-feed your vegan friends with a beef steak or force your straight male friend to watch the whole Twilight series with you at your home? :wink:

talk about comparing Apples and Oranges...

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I recommend WP a lot, but since I handle the cell phones for my organization, a lot of people end up with WP, haha. Add to that the fact that the 928 is free for business accounts and also, it is the highest rated smartphone on Verizon, with almost 300 reviews and 94% of the reviewers would recommend it. That is a pretty amazing statistic.

But, I talked my wife into one a while ago and coming from an iphone, she (like most people), kept comparing it to the iphone and after a few "the iphone does this/that" comments, she is relatively happy with it.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How many people visit Japan? You can't have it all in any phone. Also most of the people won't use data when traveling and hence Nokia's offline maps are so important. Ofcourse if Japan maps are not there then it's not useful but for other countries it is useful.

How bad can it be when you still have other Gmaps which required data as any other phone other than a Lumia?

Guess you can complaint having too much japanese and wanted some sandwich only found out that Lumia doesnt have a built in toaster.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
How bad can it be when you still have other Gmaps which required data as any other phone other than a Lumia?

Guess you can complaint having too much japanese and wanted some sandwich only found out that Lumia doesnt have a built in toaster.

For one thing, any way you look at it, its a disgrace for Microsoft's own mapping solution for WP8 to be missing a major country like Japan. As a side note, I don't understand why they ditched Bing maps data for Nokias data. Secondly, Google refuses to make an official maps app for windows phone, so we're left with pretty "meh" versions from 3rd party developers that are not vector based and generally feel kludgey. I'm not a whiner, I just really want to see Microsoft step it up, especially given that they're still behind after almost 3 years.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
:grin: These fanatic threads are always hilarious to read...
Tell me, do any of you have friends which have a different sexual orientation? If you do - do you also try to force (or "recommend", which is basically same thing) them into believing that your own sexual preference is "the best" one and that they should also convert to it? And if they refuse - do you also get "frustrated", "annoyed", "sick of them", call them derogatory names behind their backs and whine about it on forums? How about friends with different religious preferences? Or even simpler things such as food/music/movies? Do you also try to force-feed your vegan friends with a beef steak or force your straight male friend to watch the whole Twilight series with you at your home? :wink:

Sexual orientation is not 'choice' or a fashion statement. It is not about being up with the current sexual orientation trends. Keep the homophobia for a more suitable forum please.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Back on topic though...

I find it really easy to advise which phone people should get, now that it is clear that the 'ecosystem' is the way we are all being herded. So if they use Macs then iphone is ideal. If they use Linux or ChromeOS then Android is perfect. If they use Windows and/or Xbox then a Windows phone is the obvious choice.

Now that Google is pulling away from Windows devices towards their own ecosystem (no Win8, RT or WP8 apps to speak of) it is a poor choice to try to fight the tide and blend the two ecosystems. Apple have already become pretty well focussed on their own system. The smart choice is now between ecosystems, not phones.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
totally agree. Mother in law needed a new phone. Simple simple simple. IPhone was best choice because it is simple. She had an HTC android and it didn't work worth crap and confused her 90% of the time. IPhone is a good old person phone. My nephew had a low end android piece of crap, he pick up a 520 and friggin loves it. I have had the exact opposite reaction from the people I recommend WP to from the OP. People love it.

I agree with this. Its amazing my mom has the brains to even turn a smart phone on much less use it. Therefore, The iPhone is perfect for her. I would never try to convince her to switch for that very reason.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The easiest way would be just to tell people also the negative aspects of something.

"I think Windows Phone 8 is great, it fits my needs perfectly. The UI is beautiful, everything is smooth and it provides me with everything I would ever need. Also Office, Skydrive, and Xbox music are amazing features provided by the platform. The phones also feel unique and different, and Nokia provides a wide range of different devices, so you can choose the one perfectly fitting you. I just love it. But there are also some negative aspects. There are features missing when compared to other platforms, also some apps are not available or are of lesser quality than on other phones. I think you should check the availability of what you really need first. And would you like to try out my phone, to see if you like the feel of it?"

Or, if you don't care about the person and you just want to be left alone, you can say: "Buy an iPhone, that works."

Either way, nobody could really complain after that ;-)

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend WP8 to anyone. If they asked me how I liked it, I'd say I like it just fine, but I wouldn't campaign to bring others into the WP8 fold.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend WP8 to anyone. If they asked me how I liked it, I'd say I like it just fine, but I wouldn't campaign to bring others into the WP8 fold.

Absolutely. If someone has a Mac, an iPad and an iPod why would I try to persuade them to choose a Windows phone? The good side of ecosystems is that if people just buy what they have been used to then they'll prolly end up with the best option for them. No advice needed.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've recommended WP to 8 of my family members and none of them have any complaints. Maybe because they're not heavy app users.

While it's annoying that your family keeps complaining about it, you should know that it is not your responsibility if someone doesn't like WP. Everyone has their likes and needs and I think they should just switch back to the iphone if that's what they really want. Sooner or later, they'll come running back to WP!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well,

I one person I got to try, came back saying "It SUCKED!!" It took a bit of prodding to get him to explain what were the issues. Sadly his only answer was "No apps." I continued to prod for which apps... The ******* wouldn't say. Just that his iPhone has more-better apps.

At that point I gave up, and just said that I was just trying to gauge other peoples experience's so I could give better suggestions.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just that his iPhone has more-better apps.

It's funny, playing the "app game" was one of the main reasons I've come back to WP8. I got so tired of constantly checking out, installing, uninstalling, and fiddling with apps. Ninety percent of all the apps I need (Email, SMS/MMS, Office, SharePoint, basic FB and Twitter integration) are built right in to WP8... I don't have to install apps for them. The only apps I've added are Instance and Nextgen Reader, and I'm totally happy.

It reminds me of a conversation I was having with my brother the other day; his GF was looking for a tablet. She'd been looking at some Android tablet and had heard I'd recently purchased a Surface. She came over and looked at it, and I gave her the spiel about it, but ultimately I told my brother to have her get the Android tablet. Why? Because that's what she had her heart set on and if he and I (because he digs my Surface and thinks she should get one) convinced her to get the Surface she'd be second-guessing her purchase every time she used it... because she wanted the Android tablet.

Ultimately... people want what they want for whatever reason they want it. And in most cases, I think, they should just get that instead of being "convinced" another way is better. They'll be happier for it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend WP8 to most people I know, because of the lack of apps, and because I don't want to be the one they ***** to when they can't download that app for their grocery store chain that they saw an ad for.
But every time I use an iPhone I can't help thinking "why the hell do people use this ****?" iOS has to be the most boring, unintuitive (yes, I know everyone says Apple products are intuitive, but they're just not) phone OS there is. If someone asked me which phone to get, that probably means they don't know much about them and I'd just tell them to get an iPhone like everyone else. At least they'll get the apps.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Never recommend Windows Phone to people who are married to Android or iPhone. They won't be happy because they'll lose too much switching over--especially on the apps and features front. I spend my time converting to first-time smart phone user or disgruntled Android users who can't afford $200 for an iPhone. They're usually happy with Windows Phone's ease of use and stability.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like when you're in a crowd of people 9/10 people have a damn iPhone?
Because it's a smartphone that's easy to use. That's what made iPhone so popular. Prior to the iPhone, smartphones were bulky, complicated and too expensive. People don't want to have to worry about memory management or side-loading apps or turning their phone into a mini computer.

As a former iPhone owner the phone was perfect for me when I first got it. However, I outgrew it. I needed a bigger screen and better form-factor. I absolutely detest Android because it's the opposite of everything iOS is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı