Eyeem Sees Popularity Surge, Pulls Ahead of Instagram..... Available On Windows Phone

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
[h=1]EyeEm App Sees Popularity Surge, Pulls Ahead of Instagram on Free App Charts[/h]
  • DL Cade ? Jan 20, 2013

eyeem5.jpg

When you think ?Instagram competitor,? the first app that comes to mind is Flickr?s new offering. Having released just in time for Instagram to royally annoy its users with the proposed ToS changes, disgruntled Instagrammers flocked to Flickr in droves.
But there?s a new kid gaining popularity on the lo-fi block that does exactly what Instagram does, only more? German. It?s http://www.petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2013/01/eyeem6.jpg[/IMG]
Over the last week, EyeEm has moved from the mid 200′s on the photo and video app charts, as high as number 2 behind YouTube (today at #6). A couple of days ago you could find EyeEm sitting pretty at number 20 on the free app charts overall (today at #59), a couple of spots ahead of Instagram.
Of course, it?ll take a lot of users and what would amount to a mass exodus from Instagram to really challenge the Facebook-owned company ? something [URL="http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/18/instagram-reveals-usage-stats-for-first-time-90m-active-users-per-month/"]Instagram is doing its best to convince everyone is NOT happening. But EyeEm co-founder Florian Meissner is optimistic, claiming that the app is seeing daily sign-up numbers in the 6 figures
Whatever the numbers may be, Meissner maintains that the influx of users changes nothing for EyeEm:
Our game plan has not changed: building the best and most beautiful photo community in the world that becomes profitable
For now the company is still working on parts one and two of that statement, we?ll see what happens when it gets to the third ?becomes profitable? step? But if you?re interested and want to be part of the 100K+ that download EyeEm today, the app is available for Android and Windows Phone at their respective app stores.
(via TechCrunch)

EyeEm App Sees Popularity Surge, Pulls Ahead of Instagram on Free App Charts

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That's great that there's some competition, but... WP app, as always, is worse (less features, crashes/freezes a lot) than on other platforms and the developer hasn't bothered to update it since the May of last year (iOS app was updated last month, Android app was updated this month)... Soo... yea, this news story is not very useful for current WP8 users.

Last edited:

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
That's great that there's some competition, but... WP app, as always, is worse (less features, crashes/freezes a lot) than on other platforms and the developer hasn't bothered to update it since the May of last year (iOS app was updated last month, Android app was updated this month)... Soo... yea, this news story is not very useful for current WP8 users.

This. I bet if you email the dev they will tell you they aren't supporting WP anymore.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This. I bet if you email the dev they will tell you they aren't supporting WP anymore.

I pinged them on Twitter about an issue and their response was, "hey we are working on that one :)" So... at least as of 12/23 you'd lose that bet.

That said, yeah, the WP app is not as feature-rich or stable as is the iOS app.

That that said, is the article talking about actual user count, total downloads, or just recent downloads? I wonder how many of those downloads are Instagram users just trying out a new photo app, vs. users leaving Instagram, vs. WP users with no Instagram app?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
what issue was that? I'll download it and see how buggy it is.

It's actually not terribly buggy, it's just feature anemic. This was specifically about being able to assign multiple tags/libraries to a photo on WP. EyeEm doesn't work like Instagram in that you don't just type a description of the photo and hashtag it out. You select libraries and locations (or create new ones) with which the picture gets associated. It all happens behind the scenes, though. So instead of saying "Hanging out on the beach in Huntington #summertime" like you would in IG, in EyeEm it would be, like, "beach","summer","Huntington beach, Ca".

Well, on iOS you can select multiple libraries for your picture. On WP you can't... you get one "action" and one "place".

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a very cool app so far. I actually like the way it's set up. I am sure that if the developers see a rise in WP support from us, they'll support their WP version more...here's hoping.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It's actually not terribly buggy, it's just feature anemic. This was specifically about being able to assign multiple tags/libraries to a photo on WP. EyeEm doesn't work like Instagram in that you don't just type a description of the photo and hashtag it out. You select libraries and locations (or create new ones) with which the picture gets associated. It all happens behind the scenes, though. So instead of saying "Hanging out on the beach in Huntington #summertime" like you would in IG, in EyeEm it would be, like, "beach","summer","Huntington beach, Ca".

Well, on iOS you can select multiple libraries for your picture. On WP you can't... you get one "action" and one "place".

Eh it crashed a couple of times. And yea it has very little features. I'll check out the android version. And it desperately needs the whole WP8 upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel