Favorite video game?

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Rise of the Triad (early 90s).
Tribes - first multiplayer game that got me really hooked on PC gaming.
Battlefield 1942 - self-confessed plane wh0r3 who consistently scored top 3
Battlefiled 2 (PC) - started losing my edge. Probably coincided with getting engaged and less time for gaming.

Have since moved away from PC to console...I'm terrible. Play Black Ops 2 and I frequently have sub 1:1 k/d ratio.
Forza series is fun...especially using my wheel in front of our 80" Sharp :)
to be honest ever since the kids came along gaming time has been greatly reduced...but I'm ok with that....the trade was well worth it.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Counter-Strike for the PC. Like everyone who plays on the PC, you encounter way too many hackers.

Black Ops II for 360. This game is very balanced (compared to all other CoDs)

NBA Live (all) for PlayStation.

N64

GoldenEye 007
MarioKart 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

NES
Bionic Commando (last game I remember my father telling me I wanted as my X-mas present)
Excitebike
Contra
Tecmo Superbowl
Ninja Gaiden
The Legend Of Zelda
Mario Bros. 1 & 3 (didn't care for 2, too much.)

SNES
Contra III
Mortal Kombat (finish him)
Super Street Fighter (all)
MarioKart
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
NBA Jam (he's on fire!)

Genesis
Streets of Rage
Shinobi

Edit: Tiberian Sun for the PC. Might be top 3 of all-time for me.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I still like PC gaming the best, but the biggest problem PC gaming has compared to console gaming is hacks.

I am in a group that does a lot of PC gaming and unless you have punkbuster and a server streaming to PBBans, PC gaming is pretty bad.

The PC gaming group that I am in had a CoD 4 server for a while and we caught like 130 hackers with it. Some of the screenshots we got were unbelievable. We're playing CoD Black Ops 2 now and it doesn't have punkbuster or the ability to stream to PBBans and we run into people going 72-3 in a round.

Main reason I stopped gaming on the PC. Counter-Strike 1.6 is the last PC game I played.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Man, Runescape. I played SO much of that in junior high and high school. I haven't actually played it in probably 6 years or so, but it was a heck of a time to play with the 3 people in my class who joined me. I even went so far as to have a membership for quite some time. I did hop on there a couple of times over these past few years to see what it's like, and it's incredibly depressing. The inflation's out of control, there's NOTHING new added worth messing with (seriously, Dragon armor's still the best there is after all this time?), and because the non-member bank is so restricted, I couldn't even TRY to play if I wanted. I have probably 200+ unique items in my bank (the limit's something like 50, I think), and many are member-only items, so without resubbing, I can't even sell/trade them. My account's in eternal, pointless limbo.

Member items are stored in a separate set of bankslots now. But yeah, I see where you're coming from. Godswords took a royal nerfing too. As for me, my standouts are probably the following:

• PC: World of Warcraft. Just such an expansive world (more so than Gielinor of RuneScape). Also, it's grippingly realistic. Sometimes, I wish I could just be resting in Teldrassil (yeah, I'm a Night Elf). I haven't played Mists of Pandaria yet (I've owned the game for 2-3 months though), but hopefully I will soon.
  • SEGA MEGA DRIVE: Sonic 1. That blue spiky furball still lives on today, and the original was fantastic.
  • Sony PS1: Bomberman. Endless hours of fun, and endless hours of my mum banning me from the PS1 because I kept destroying her at that game! Ha.
  • Nintendo 64: Limited experience with this one, but for me it's Mariokark 64. I loved that game and it was the first ever Mariokart game I played.
  • Sony PS2: Buzz! I loved the idea of using the USB ports to plug in those quiz-game controllers and just going party style on the Quiz, pretending you won stuff and such. Great game for that Sony console!
  • Nintendo GameCube: I'm going to say Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I loved the story in that game, so fun as well getting to play as DR EGGMAN!
  • Nintendo Wii: This is a difficult one, but for me, it's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Mario & Sonic in Beijing, trying to win medals? Great way to give a nod to the Olympics. It felt so much better than the games for the Xbox and PS3, as they felt too bland in comparison, despite having better graphics.
  • Xbox 360: Halo Reach. I've got MW3, I only play it because my family plays it. I prefer the Halo series to it. Halo 4 looks really promising from watching my cousin play it a bit, but I haven't had chance to play it yet.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Great topic Krystea!

I've played too many games now but if I were to chose the ones that I remember fondly or in some way had a lasting impression on me, here's my shortlist:

Final Fantasy X (PS2) : The first FF game I actually finished and I remember the ending being phenominal
Ocarina of Time (N64) : Do I need to say anything? Still the birth of complex, story driven 3D games in my opinion
Majoria's Mask (N64) : The most original Zelda since Ocarina, all the other big titles since seem to want to emulate Ocarina's formula
Bomberman 3 (SNES) : The first game I owned when my father brought home a SNES for the two of us all those years ago
Mass Effect (PC & 360) : Played it once on PC and fell in love, then proceeded to play the whole trilogy repeatedly on 360. Without a doubt the best of this console generation
Metal Gear Solid (PS1) : If Ocarina of time was the birth of these type of games, MGS was the first time the story had really been gripping, again a franchise I've replayed again and again
Flower (PS3) : Unique, calming, artistic and amazing
Crysis (PC) : I built my first PC to play this game (had previously bought pre-made ones), and anyone else who went through that will understand
F.E.A.R. (PC) : Screw Doom 3, this game gave me nightmares for weeks and was a master of getting under your skin

Special mention to Far Cry 3 which I'm playing at the moment, it's too early to see if it will be a long term favourite but it's already the best Far Cry I've played.

So how do I chose a winner? Honestly it would probably have to be FFX, which actually annoys me. The gameplay wasn't that amazing but the story was complex and had a really powerful romantic aspect, I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear to that ending and the soundtrack "To Zanarkand" has stuck with me to this day. What a shame that since that day every Final Fantasy has progressively got worse...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Add Metal Gear Solid for PlayStation. I remember how much I loved that game, made quite a few of those sounds ringtones and alerts on my phone.

krystea

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Forgot about these!

Am a big fan of the first Silent Hill up to The Room, didn't play the ones following it
UT (PS2)
CS 1.6
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Choplifter! On Atari! Ah! I loved this game
Defender! Also on Atari.
Kingdom Hearts, bought the second one but never played it
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest on SNES
Lemmings - MS-DOS
Lemmings Paintball
Yoshi's Island
And, of course, Doom.

Brings back some good memories. I'll probably remember more later.

Soxpranos

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Age of Empires 1 & 2 is my favorite(s) by far, then there's the Pokemon series, civilization, and grand theft auto.
Am I the only one here who is into AoE? I remember playing it as an 8 year old, now I'm 22 and still love it!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Best games of all time my friend. MS gaming zone and Age of Empires was it!

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
My favorite video games are Pok?mon, Street Fighter and Mario Kart. My favorite Pok?mon game is probably Emerald for the GBA, My favorite Street Fighter game is Alpha 3 for Arcade/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox and I can't decide what my favorite Mario Kart is.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Rise of the Triad (early 90s).

Oh man, totally forgot about that... Was a pretty fun game even though it had no "story" and simple level design ;-) I've heard it will be re-done soon, with a modern game engine... Not sure if it's a good idea, though.

krystea

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Would love to see an app developed for WP8 emulating the old school MS-DOS games. But at that point, I'd probably become a smartphone.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
PC Gamer here.

1. SWG
2. LOTR
3. RIFT
4. F.E.A.R. This game was evil the only game that ever got to me that I said enough no more buy..buy....

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Would love to see an app developed for WP8 emulating the old school MS-DOS games. But at that point, I'd probably become a smartphone.

That's a good idea for an app - I've wanted to build an old school Win 95 computer but an app would be better yet.

Good luck on becoming a smartphone. You need to follow your dreams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz